Whip woes

gugeonstalker

Reaction score
High all ,has anyone who owns a tri cast trilogy 8.5 meter whip had any problems . I have had the number 5 section fail in the same place twice within 6 inches now and both times it was when under arming a float out into the river . I have had the section replaced once and am now being dealt with by the good people at tri cast who are replacing the number 5 again but say no one else in four years has had a problem .I am getting paranoid about it now as they must think I am a bit odd.
PS
I would be delighted to hear good reports as it would restore my confidence in it which at the moment is very low .

Last edited:

Reaction score
Sorry for my naivity,but how many sections take the whip to 8-5m,there must be an issue,unless your overhead casting on other occasions,even then it should cope with it really,I have an old tri-cast feeder rod with push in quivers(had a new handle,reel fitting and rings done recently),my mate loved the rod but they'd stopped doing it,replacing it with another rod with put over quivers,it broke three times,just below where the quiver sleeve finished,tri-cast said the same to him,but it seemed such an obvious place to break under pressure,I was there when it broke once and he was only lobbing out and he's got a decent technique casting wise,what's worse is tri-cast gear isn't cheap,so should be well tested.

Last edited:

gugeonstalker

Reaction score
Sorry for my naivity,but how many sections take the whip to 8-5m,there must be an issue,unless your overhead casting on other occasions,even then it should cope with it really,I have an old tri-cast feeder rod with push in quivers(had a new handle,reel fitting and rings done recently),my mate loved the rod but they'd stopped doing it,replacing it with another rod with put over quivers,it broke three times,just below where the quiver sleeve finished,tri-cast said the same to him,but it seemed such an obvious place to break under pressure,I was there when it broke once and he was only lobbing out and he's got a decent technique casting wise,what's worse is tri-cast gear isn't cheap,so should be well tested.

You have a top three which is telescopic then sections 4,5,6.7.8 to take it to 8.5 THE second time it broke I was fishing it full length long line to hand running a 1.5 gram float down in 8 feet of water fishing hemp & tares . It didnt go crunch or fold over, it just fell in half as i lifted into an under arm swing out on both occasions it broke . It cost a lot of money and after watching the video they put out showing how strong it was I thought that's the one for me and her who must be obeyed got me it for Christmas . The first time it broke was its first time of use and my mate I was fishing with was trying to look all concerned for me whilst trying not to **** himself laughing , because i was waiving the stub around looking up wondering where my rig had gone to .

Reaction score
;),I don't believe them,because that can't happen twice unless either there is a fault in construction,or you have a repetitive storage issue,which I seriously doubt,you can't rely on some companies I'm afraid and after my mates disaster I don't trust tri-cast on breakage issues.