Chick peas

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The best use for chick peas is finely ground flavoured with tahini, olive oil, and garlic and lemon juice and served as a dip with hot pitta bread.

Sorry Chris ;)

seth49

Reaction score
Well gave them a good try, both float and feeder, nothing on float and a few skimmers on the feeder, so I think I’ll wait while next year when it warms up again.

Meanwhile mick had a 17 and a half pound carp on corn, a cracking fish which looked as though it had hardly been caught before.

He also had a three pound tench as well and quite a few decent bream, looks like they wanted sweet corn today.?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I thrashed the chickpeas yesterday for around two hours. Result was one carp which almost bought the life of my Ultralight tip to an untimely end as it sped off into the lillies and something like 10 roach, none of which reached 8" in length and most a lot smaller...
Interestingly, all were hooked in the top lip so bait size no problem!

So much for better quality fish................

That said, I shall give them another bash in the expected rain tomorrow.

laguna

Reaction score
Once Mr Hatton resumes with the Caption competitions I'll include a couple of bags of our sweet chicks in with the prize for the winner!

Understandably most people have only ever used tinned chick peas bought from supermarkets, and a few have prepared their own and added all sorts of flavours/spices ect. but with mixed results. I have every confidence in the tinned variety as they are slightly salty. However our sweet Red and Yellow chicks are firm (and slightly rubbery in texture due to the preparation process we use), which means they can be cast hard without coming off in mid air. The tinned variety are a little too overcooked and soft for my liking.

Regards when to try them. I use chick peas in the warmer months for roach/rudd, carp, bream (proper slabs) as well as good quality tench. But there's no reason why they wouldn't work in winter as a single hook bait (no feed) for carp and roach with a bit of liccy bread over the top.