Chick peas

laguna

Reaction score
Information.

Apparently not everyone knows this, but chick peas are in fact real peas. (Honest)
I can confirm that all peas (all varieties) have a skin which peels easily and are firm when properly prepared. They also consist of two halves and can be fished singly or whole.

To reiterate...
Our sweetened REDCHICKS and DEEP YELLOWCHICKS have a skin, just like other kinds of peas - they are not faulty.

They also consist of two haves just like other kinds of peas - they are not broken.

Thank you. :eek:mg:

Ps. They are a brilliant bait. :cool:

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Anyone who has read my threads these past years will know I fish chickpeas quite a lot and have enjoyed considerable success on some days, but by no means on all. It could be said they are a difficult bait to use, but in one perseveres and sorts out how to hook them and not try to cast them to the other side of the lake they can be deadly. Carp will eat almost anything so it is comes as no surprise I have hooked many, but it is when fishing for roach that I have had the most success. Invariably they catch better quality fish, at least in my experience....

Laguna is obviously spot on with his analysis of his baits. They are a hard bait with a skin which one needs to come to terms with it and they do (in my experience) tend to be difficult to hok once that skin is removed BUT, that doesn't mean you cannot fish with them skinless! In fact, I tend to crush a few in my fingers and tear the skins into bits and scatter this around the float as some sort of feed. Breaking them into 'halves' if fishing on the bottom also good.Never found it necessary to use any other form of feed..............

I suppose I liken them to fishing with hemp/tares - they take time to master - but once done they are a lovely bait to use and I recommend them for a lengthy trial. Give them time to work, though......

I note that Laguna's peas are sweetened, something i haven't tried, but they could work a treat and something different tinned savoury peas I normally use.

ps I have tried hooking them with the hook protruding from the side but after many trials I have found pushing the hook directly into the bait - I'm talking roach fishing here - by far the best method even if it doesn't suggest so!!

Note! I have no connection with the Laguna Fishing Bait Co

Last edited:

iain t

Reaction score
Been using Chickpeas for years. I haven't tried them sweetened but i buy cheap own brand Tesco tins at 49p. I've caught a variety of fish, still and moving waters. A good old fashion bait

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yes, I'm sure.....................................unless he send me a dozen tubs of each, gratis! Add a smilie here..

mikench

Reaction score
I regularly use chick peas with a touch of curry powder! If I don't catch I make a curry!! Lagunas' red chicks are the business and last for ages!

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
When I saw the thread Chick Peas I thought yeah I know she does, usually in the bushes behind my swim

Sorry red vino been a long week :w

The bad one

Reaction score
Chick Peas are a legume, all leguminous plant fruits have two half’s to them as in true peas. Leguminous plants also fix nitrogen into the soil and are used on exhausted soils the world over to add fertility
to it. Whether that (fixing nitrogen) has any bearing on chick peas fish catching ability or not I have no clue whatsoever.

seth49

Reaction score
I bought three tins of these in aldi last week, 33 pence a tin so there cheap enough, might try them this week.
Did see a chap catching some nice roach on these a week or two ago.

The bad one

Reaction score
Very good for diabetics who are suffering with high carb sugars from spuds as a mash alternative. Mash as you would with spuds, add marg, salt, pepper, a little milk and herbs such as dill, coriander. Gram Flour from the Asian shops is Chick Pea flour and can be made into a paste.

Keith M

Reaction score
I tried using them a couple of times back in the 80’s for Carp but they never seemed as good as the other baits that I had used at that time, in fact I don’t think I’ve ever caught a single Carp on them and my confidence in them was virtually nil.

Perhaps I might give them a try again soon. What time of year do you think they are best? and do they have much real food value for fish?

Keith

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
I add them to my particle mix, buy them dry and soak overnight. Never really gave them much of go as hook bait.

thecrow

Reaction score
I tried using them a couple of times back in the 80’s for Carp but they never seemed as good as the other baits that I had used at that time, in fact I don’t think I’ve ever caught a single Carp on them and my confidence in them was virtually nil.

Same here, tried flavouring them and colouring them but never had a fish on them.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Those same Asian shops (probably) sell the Curried Chickpeas I use, sold under the trade name 'PAKSTAR' (part of the Regal Food Group) and as cheap as chips. They have a wonderful smell and roach love them!
I use mine from around May to end Oct......

Being tinned in the curry concoction they are a deep gold colour, and when first taken from the tin they are quite hard. Several trips to the freezer will soften them, though. A whole tin will last me several sessions.

In my local Asian shop they go for about 60p a tin or a lot less for a tray.

I also use Gram Flour for what Indian cooking I do.

ps Those Asian shops also offer loads of choice with all sorts of tinned beans/peas etc in all sorts of flavours.

seth49

Reaction score
Usual Tuesday fishing trip today, thought I’d take a tin of chickpeas and try them out, as well as sweetcorn and 6mm expander pellets.

Tried pellets and corn first just a few skimmers and small roach, so after an hour or so,I tried a chickpea on the hook after I’d been feeding a few in the swim, nothing for a while and then the float buried and I caught a nice roach of one pound one oz.
View attachment 5693

Went on to catch a few more around six to eight ounces, and then the float shot under and I had this nice mirror of around five pounds.
View attachment 5694
So they definitely worked,will try again on Thursday hopefully.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
May well be coincidence and it can happen with any bait, but how seth49 caught his roach above is precisely how I catch mine, in that a better quality fish turns up almost every time I use this bait, and that (for me) doesn't happen with other baits. I don't say it happens EVERY time I fish but of all the baits I use, chick peas give me the most confidence, the difference being 'plain' peas are not as successful as the curried type...

Regarding bites; When I first started using them I tended to place the rod in the rest (a 'while I had a cup of tea' type of bait') only to see the float submerge without any form of indication and striking into fresh air. Now I will sit with the rod in the rest but with butt in my hand and this has worked well. I still miss bites but this could down to small fish mouthing the bait.....?

In some ways I think it well worth JUST taking peas (perhaps of different flavours as well as plain) for a longish session to give them every chance of succeeding.

seth49...As a matter of interest did you use any form of feed at all?

(Unfortunately, I also suffer a similar problem with carp. I don't see them as a 'bonus' fish and they totally wreck the tackle. Grrrrr

I'm yet to try Laguna's sweet baits so if anyone does I for one would like to hear opinion.

ps I had hoped this bait would be attractive to crucians but to date it hasn't been the case. Still time, I suppose..

seth49

Reaction score
seth49...As a matter of interest did you use any form of feed at all?

Just a few two mm pellets but not much, and a few chickpeas and corn as loose feed, it’s gone a lot colder round here, already had a few light frosts, so didn’t want to feed a lot, had quite a few bites which looked unmissable, but I did, could just have been small roach perhaps.

Will try flavouring some for tomorrow, I use garam masala flavour on maggots, so will try that, and I have some corn flavoured goo as well which smells nice and sweet, so try some of that as well.

seth49

Reaction score
View attachment 5695

Just prepared these in my shed, will give them a try tomorrow,different pond though it has some big roach and Rudd in it.

Have any one tried them on a feeder as well as a float.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Never tried them myself but duringbthe summer on a notoriously difficult day on one of my club waters the bloke next to me had 3 good tench out on chickpeas. This on a day when most people blanked or had a single mugfish.

He swears by them for tench and never goes out without some in the summer. Curry and maple flavours were his most successful.

mikench

Reaction score
I have used them on a feeder quite regularly and always seem to get one fish but not a succession of bites! However that can be said about most baits!