Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishery upkeep

Default Fishery upkeep

I am looking to talk to anyone who is a bailiff or club official who has under taken improvements on their stretches of river as i and a few mates are looking to undertake some work on one of our club stretches to reclaim the many lost swims which have disappeared through neglect. I am keen to learn the do's and do not's that people have come across? we have many mature trees which need attention and wish to keep the features which encourage wildlife and areas for the fish to spawn and flourish. One of the biggest problems is the now excessive weed growth which totally covers the beautiful gravel runs. i would also value any advice on how to construct a few fishing platforms as the ones we had have now rotted away and disappeared which leave some great swims totally unfishable. Any advice would be gratefully received. I have already run in to plenty of negativity and heard that the environment agency who now totally ignore the venue can make life difficult? Any tips on breeding areas for the coarse fish would be great. I have been a long term fan of the Avon Roach project and although the Roach population is holding its own it has declined so any advice on this front would be great.

Default Re: Fishery upkeep

I cannot say about rivers but if you have willows I would say keep at them as they get too big very quickly. On our lake they are a pain as they overhang the water which makes maintenance awkward. When the limbs come down in the wind its dangerous. Its a constant battle.
    Do you need platforms? Would bank repair and re seeding not suffice ?

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

First off, make sure you have adequate insurance cover for any work you may do, I would think platforms would be a major concern, A lot of platforms use scaffolding pipes sunk into the ground and a platform built around them jutting into the water, As john said do you need platforms on a river, ? A simple way of doing pegs on any water is to level the bankside and put a few 3x2 paving slabs down, Contact the Angling Trust or the canal and Rivers trust they should be able to offer some advice,

When it comes to a river, I'd urge you to attempt some dialogue with the EA before starting anything that involves significant effort or financial outlay. You may find yourself in trouble if you do anything without talking to them. I've heard of clubs getting into bother for clearing trees and others getting into bother for planting them. The most ridiculous anecdote was about a club that was being whinged at for clearing a few pegs amongst juvenile willow only to find an EA contractor cleared the whole lot. I do take such tales with a pinch of salt, but I don't think it's worth taking chances that could possibly cause trouble for the club. Things were significantly different a few years back, no one seemed to care much what happened. However, since some of the recent major flood events, the EA has taken more interest in the vegetation on our river banks.

Blog Entries

Given the comments made already you may have to consider these as well, is there any type of protections on the the River and or it's environs?
    Convention on Wetlands of International Importance Especially as Waterfowl Habitat (
    RAMSAR site)
    Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI)
    Site of Biological Importance (SBI)
    Local Nature Reserve (LNR)
    National Nature Reserve (NNR)
    All or any will restrict what you can or can't do.
    Are There any Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs) on any or all the trees on the River Bank.
    Do you have the landowners consent in writing to carry the work you are planning on his/her land?

Here's something that may be of interest to you
    Environment Agency The Middle and Lower Stour and Moors River

Last edited by The bad one; 05-10-2018 at 00:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Kellaway-Moore View Post
    I am looking to talk to anyone who is a bailiff or club official who has under taken improvements on their stretches of river as i and a few mates are looking to undertake some work on one of our club stretches to reclaim the many lost swims which have disappeared through neglect. I am keen to learn the do's and do not's that people have come across? we have many mature trees which need attention and wish to keep the features which encourage wildlife and areas for the fish to spawn and flourish. One of the biggest problems is the now excessive weed growth which totally covers the beautiful gravel runs. i would also value any advice on how to construct a few fishing platforms as the ones we had have now rotted away and disappeared which leave some great swims totally unfishable. Any advice would be gratefully received. I have already run in to plenty of negativity and heard that the environment agency who now totally ignore the venue can make life difficult? Any tips on breeding areas for the coarse fish would be great. I have been a long term fan of the Avon Roach project and although the Roach population is holding its own it has declined so any advice on this front would be great.
    The Environment Agency will give you advice, a few times a Fisheries Representative has visited one of the waters I fish.

I've checked the EA and Angling Trust sites to see if there's any publications on river improvements. Couldn't find any, although there's so much information on the EA site that it's hard to find what you want.

This report might be useful

http://www.heathlandaquaticengineeri...t-for-rivers-/

The Wild Trout Trust has some good advice on river improvements related to trout, but they are also applicable to coarse fish in rivers. See this:

Wild Trout projects, rivers, fishing, advice in UK and Ireland. WTT | The Wild Trout Trust

The Trust also sells leaflets on river improvements and you can read reports on surveys of many rivers in the Uk - but I couldn't find any for the Dorset Stour.

Advice and Practical Help | The Wild Trout Trust
    Last edited by keora; 05-10-2018 at 07:56.

Personally as already said i would contact the EA for advice and also a site visit before any work takes place.

Blog Entries

You say it is a stretch that a club you are in controls, Surely your clubs fishery manager or estates manager should have or be able to get the information required, ?

We are a small club and don't have anyone in that position as far as I know. The land is owned by a lord of the realm and his estate manager is as far as I am aware happy for us to undertake tree work and bank side management.

Blog Entries

Richard, I would get that in writing off him/her, preferably on letter headed paper. and also involve him/her in any enquiries you have to make to various organizations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast