Never too old to learn

john step

Reaction score
Recently on here someone mentioned slamo style disgorgers. Although I have been fishing for a year or two I had never heard of them, only using the conventional type.

Well I bought a couple of sets and they are a vast improvement.

Anyone else "discovered" a piece of kit that they wish they knew about earlier?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Try the Exceed type. Conventional looking disgorgers with a twist. I no longer have any standard barrel type, or slammo type disgorgers because I binned the lot.

Philip

Reaction score
The isotope/Betalight adapters sich as the Enterprise ones that you can fit on the end of your rod made things allot easier.

Before they started to sell them I used to make my own out of silicon tube, bent bits of paper clips and lots of glue...awful.

Molehill

Reaction score
Try the Exceed type. Conventional looking disgorgers with a twist. I no longer have any standard barrel type, or slammo type disgorgers because I binned the lot.

I bought an exceed last week, hopefully the grayling will oblige tomorrow and I can try it out, I looked on YouTube to check how it works. Like everything, you just have to get used to using it first.

Reaction score
There are too many revolutionary items of tackle over the last few years it's incredible,one that I would never have bought is the maver hair rig tyer,I have no problem tying a knotless knot,but the idea of being able to set the length of the hair perfectly for set sized baits makes for an easy life,my barbel fishing is made easy...

peterjg

Reaction score
Flat bed feeders - I think for still water they are great. I alter them so that they are not inline but can either be used with a mini helirig or as a normal sliding leger.

Not an item of tackle but a fishing method - upstream legering. I started doing a lot of upstream legering about 10 years ago - it is just so more sensitive. Little knocks from roach downstream legering are transformed into huge bites when upstream legering! Never too old to learn!

wetthrough

Reaction score
Drennan Glow Tip Antennas or Stillwater Blue floats as they used to be called. I started off using crystal inserts but they're a pain to keep still compared to the Glow Tips and nowhere near as sensitive. Not good for everything, really strong tows will pull them under and they are fragile but great floats in the right conditions.

Some Exceed disgorgeres on the way...

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I agree with you. The Glow Tip is a a lovely float to use, but even with taking great care they are very fragile and not one for the cack handed. I consider myself as one who treats tackle with respect but I have still managed to break a couple so I take my time when using one.
That said, I am not a waster of anything so the broken tips have been used as inserts for other home made floats with some success. No point in binning nicely painted tips that would be a pain to produce if starting from scratch....

john step

Reaction score

:eek:mg: Sam, Actually the ones I bought are exceed. I thought they were the same thing:eek:mg:

sam vimes

Reaction score
:eek:mg: Sam, Actually the ones I bought are exceed. I thought they were the same thing:eek:mg:

I doubt you'll be the only one.:) I've seen "Slammo" incorrectly applied to various different types of disgorger. For the record, the Slammo type have a C shaped loop on the end, like this.
b0tfol1l635996072693765638.jpg
I've never got the fuss over these. I found them no easier to use than a standard barrel disgorger.

thecrow

Reaction score
I have never tried the exceed disgorger but have just ordered a couple(small and large) how do they differ from the conventional disgorger? I can see that the end is different but how does the difference work?

john step

Reaction score
I have never tried the exceed disgorger but have just ordered a couple(small and large) how do they differ from the conventional disgorger? I can see that the end is different but how does the difference work?

There is a slit above the barrel bit. I found that by putting the disgorger at right angles to the line, the line went into the slit easily. I then turned the disgorger to the "normal" position and pushed it down as per normal and it just seemed to extract the hook much more easily. I was surprised just how easier.

Thats my take on it as there were no instructions. Others may know better?

sam vimes

Reaction score

The first improvement is in the quality of the plastic over many standard barrel types. I find a lot are a bit too soft and pliable. The Exceed are hard and rigid enough, without being brittle. The other plus is just a little bit of extra plastic in the moulding. It lightly grips the hook/eye/whipping meaning that you don't have to be quite so dilligent in keeping the line under tension as you do with a standard barrel type.

Reaction score
Just be honest,I've never had a problem with a barrel disgorger,particularly Drennan's,but I've no doubt they are good.