Jack Hargreaves Old Country - Fishing Rod & Morey’s lake

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Dave I really enjoyed that! I watched Jack Hargreaves even though I had no interest in fishing! That is wonderful tv; Dean Macey and moronic cronies take note!

A good angler and friend of Jack kept a diary throughout his life and had 1 good days fishing out of 4!! I don't feel so bad and incompetent now!
Did you buy that rod we discussed?

Another Dave

Reaction score
Thanks Dave I really enjoyed that! I watched Jack Hargreaves even though I had no interest in fishing! That is wonderful tv; Dean Macey and moronic cronies take note!

A good angler and friend of Jack kept a diary throughout his life and had 1 good days fishing out of 4!! I don't feel so bad and incompetent now!
Did you buy that rod we discussed?

Do you mean the ultra light float rod i wanted? Am still tempted by some of the Drennans but i can't justify the spend just yet.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Watching JH reminds me of being about 4, when Out of Town used to come on every weekday at lunchtime, unless my memory has failed. I must have been that young because otherwise i'd have been at school.

carpinbob

Reaction score
Absolutely great brings back memories just loved that program .

mikench

Reaction score
I too loved out of town even the quaint and pleasant soundtrack!

He seemed to portray an honest and simple life which we all aspire to but have little chance of achieving in the current world! When I think of the current crop of carp wars I cringe!

Those rods were fascinating to behold and all in perfect condition!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I loved to watch Jack Hargreaves and even got nicknamed after him. We used to watch it at 6:30pm on Fridays.

If the pole was Spanish Reed then it was a rare one as the best were made from Carolina cane until the 50s when they could not get it any more so used Tonkin cane but this was too heavy.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I liked a lot of Jacks non fishing programmes also, the rake maker was a good one. Like many others I have a box set of his programmes on dvd and every now and again i'll get one out and watch it.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Magic old Jack Hargreaves but I had to laugh to myself, it was as I remembered him, he never caught anything but it never mattered a jot. He had a sort of way of talking that just lured you in whether you were an angler or not, a bit of a one off. Thanks for the video.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I did have to wonder how high the ceiling was in that room he was in, all the rods were able to be put upright made up :)

As it was easier to make a copy of his shed that was in deepest Dorset than keep taking outside broadcast units on a 100 mile round trip the setup is in a studio hence the high ceiling.

bracket

Reaction score
Brilliant programmes mostly unscripted. He also had a razor sharp wit. I remember one episode when he was having some harness fittings made for a cob pony and trap he had. He was in a manufacturer's in Birmingham and had selected the brass harness fittings he wanted. They had been cast in brass, fettled and the final operation was the buffing and polishing up. It was the end of the program and he ended it with these words as he stood behind the guy doing the polishing "And here we have a fine example of an English Craftsman practicing his trade". The tradesman stroked his long gray beard adjusted his turban and smiled for the camera. Nice one Jack. Pete

terry m

Reaction score
I must be the exception,because although I watched on a Friday evening, I was a little underwhelmed by the whole thing.

Just seemed to be some eccentric old guy who waffled on about different country stuff and occasionally spent 10 minutes talking about fishing.

But, as there were other offerings back then it seemed like the best option.

This was long before Wilson graced our screens with his incessant guffaws.