Uk record fish.

Keith M

Reaction score
I'm just going to chuck a curve ball out because.... why not eh?

does the weight of fish actually matter that much? Do you think we would be better recording records by size rather than weight? Wouldn't that not be far less open to abuse?

I personally think that would just be too much faffing about and cause even more confusion as a fish with a shorter but much thicker set body (in depth and width) could actually be a bigger fish than one with a longer but much thinner body. so which fish would be classed as being bigger if weight wasn’t taken as a guide?

As as an example there are some strains of Carp that are known to have much deeper bodies than other strains out there and this isn’t always because of being over fed, they just have different shaped bodies and it isn’t always just because they are just fat buckets or full of spawn.

I think that fish records are just a way of assessing the maximum sizes that fish can attain in our waters and some people seem to take them too literally and far too seriously.

Keith

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
does the weight of fish actually matter that much? Do you think we would be better recording records by size rather than weight? Wouldn't that not be far less open to abuse?

Maybe.................;)
pike1.jpg

thecrow

Reaction score
Do you think we would be better recording records by size rather than weight? Wouldn't that not be far less open to abuse?

Then my PB Barbel wouldn't have been a very notable fish for me as it was short for its length.

Its something the Dutch did when I first fished there 40 years ago, I believe they have now adopted weighing fish although I am not sure if its in kilo's or Dutch pounds.

bracket

Reaction score
I am not the slightest bit interested in fish records. As far as I'm concerned records only exist because some anglers are conceited enough to want to claim them. Pete.

Philip

Reaction score
Thing is if weight is not important why do so many anglers carry scales ?

daniel121

Reaction score
A lot of Bass anglers do that.

As for abuse, there are also a lot of arguments over whether the tape is straight or not, folded under the fish etc !

I know they do it in the states, that's what brought it to my mind when reading the thread. I guess the fights could speak of photo editing, false tape measures etc.

Was just a thought

daniel121

Reaction score
Thing is if weight is not important why do so many anglers carry scales ?

Because that's the normal way of grading their capture, as far as I can see a fish is still a fish regardless of its weight. I think I'm past the how big is my manhood stage in fishing now, that said I still reach for the scales when I get a large fish but I try not to get disappointed if it 'doesn't weight'

peterjg

Reaction score
Being realistic the chance of me ever catching a record fish is very low and I doubt if I would bother to claim if I did - mind you, the exception would be a record roach! No harm in dreaming! However; I do have a list of my own PBs and do weigh fish occasionally just for my own pleasure.

steve2

Reaction score
Being realistic the chance of me ever catching a record fish is very low and I doubt if I would bother to claim if I did - mind you, the exception would be a record roach! No harm in dreaming! However; I do have a list of my own PBs and do weigh fish occasionally just for my own pleasure.

With my days of specimen hunting long gone and with it any chance of catching a record or even increasing my own PB’s, I would say records have no place in my fishing. There are however those that still judge the size of their own captures by national records which to me is wrong you can only judge the size of your fish by what is in the waters you fish.

thecrow

Reaction score
I have no idea of the majority of my PBs, I do remember a couple of them but why they have stuck while others have not I have no idea.

I do know none of them were records :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
If I bother to weigh a fish, it's because it's a reasonable size for the venue or close to a PB. It's certainly not for anyone else's benefit. There is an exception to this. I tend to weigh most of the fish (tench, carp and bream) I catch on my syndicate stillwater. This is so that the group can keep tabs on the fish and how they are getting on in the water.

I know that many this kind of thing is an anathema to many, but it's been quite interesting to see the growth rates of identifiable individual fish. It's also interesting to see how frequently, or infrequently, some fish see the bank. It gives us a good insight into the health and overall population of the fish and where future stocking efforts might be best served for the long term future of the place.

Keith M

Reaction score
It’s a good thing that some anglers do claim Record fish, as a lot of clubs (including 4 of the clubs that I’ve been a member of) use the record fish list to determine the winner of their clubs yearly Specimen fish trophy each year (biggest percentage of the record weight = the winner)

Keith

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
as far as I can see a fish is still a fish regardless of its weight. I think I'm past the how big is my manhood stage in fishing now,

I am afraid in that case I am still well stuck in the how big is my manhood stage then Daniel as one of the pleasures for me is to try and catch a great big whopper, bung it on some scales & take its photo..so I guess your past all that nonsense now.

...Oh wait a minute...

that said I still reach for the scales when I get a large fish

Last edited:

Reaction score
It’s a good thing that some anglers do claim Record fish, as a lot of clubs (including 4 of the clubs that I’ve been a member of) use the record fish list to determine the winner of their clubs yearly Specimen fish trophy each year (biggest percentage of the record weight = the winner)

Keith

Exactly,another penis extension,with little relevance to the reason I go fishing.As for being no chance of breaking a pb,that's good then,as I've never been a specimen hunter,yet I have a reasonable list,imo,but that's what it is MY list.

flightliner

Reaction score
Ar'nt the claimants fish entered for an award in the Angling times /Drennan competition and other notable fish usually usually accompanied by a figure showing Its proportion of the record of its species ?

Reaction score
Not if you don't claim a record or put it in the angling rags Mick...:)