Uk record fish.

daniel121

Reaction score
I am afraid in that case I am still well stuck in the how big is my manhood stage then Daniel as one of the pleasures for me is to try and catch a great big whopper, bung it on some scales & take its photo..so I guess your past all that nonsense now.

...Oh wait a minute...

You seem to think I've contacted myself or you have took offence to my manhood statement?

I just type how I'm feelimg/what I'm thinking at the moment of writing, I look at Internet forums like chatting to a few people in the pub, it's just how I am.

Anyway what I meant from both of those snippets are (at this point I reread the topic to find they was on the same post) I think it you read my post it's quite clear what I meant, I explained at the time? However for more clarity I will add I'm not having a dig at how anyone gets their enjoyment. There is a huge difference between weighing a fish for yourself and shouting your catch from the roof tops or subjecting a water to a perge of 'record hunters' as they try to recatch the fish but these record hunters, specimen hunters are only doing what makes then tick, doesn't work for me but whatever floats ya boat is fine.

To me a 1lb 15oz roach is no more beautiful that a 2lb roach, and I personally (now in the year 2018) would not be disappointed it didn't weigh the extra once, that was my point

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
You seem to think I've contacted myself or you have took offence to my manhood statement?

I just type how I'm feelimg/what I'm thinking at the moment of writing, I look at Internet forums like chatting to a few people in the pub, it's just how I am.

Anyway what I meant from both of those snippets are (at this point I reread the topic to find they was on the same post) I think it you read my post it's quite clear what I meant, I explained at the time? However for more clarity I will add I'm not having a dig at how anyone gets their enjoyment. There is a huge difference between weighing a fish for yourself and shouting your catch from the roof tops or subjecting a water to a perge of 'record hunters' as they try to recatch the fish but these record hunters, specimen hunters are only doing what makes then tick, doesn't work for me but whatever floats ya boat is fine.

To me a 1lb 15oz roach is no more beautiful that a 2lb roach, and I personally (now in the year 2018) would not be disappointed it didn't weigh the extra once, that was my point

I am not offended in the slightest. I simply found it strange on one hand you cast off people who weigh fish as being interested in the size of their manhood and in the same breath then admit you weigh fish if they are large.

You have now explained more fully that what you actually meant is people who weigh fish and then shout to all and sundry about it.

Assuming that is correct then I would still disagree as I don’t have any problem with people shouting from the rooftops about the fish they catch as long as they accept the consequences that go with it.

The thing is I think we anglers often tend to be a falsely modest lot. Yes luck plays a part but there can also be allot of effort that goes into catching large or difficult fish especially consistently so why not blow your own trumpet a little too ? …just be prepared for the aftershock of that if you do it.

As for the 1lb 15oz Roach I would be very happy to catch it, its a fish to be pround of. However its not a 2lber and despite being delighted I would also be a little disappointed it didn’t weigh 1oz more. ...Judging by the number of people who talk about 2lb Roach I suspect I would not be alone in that even if some people may have a problem admitting it.

Last edited:

daniel121

Reaction score
Well I am a strange one Philip. :eek:;)

Thanks for clearing that up, I'm genuinely glad I didn't offend you :thumbs: In total honesty the past I'd of been upset it didn't weight the extra once (talking about the roach) but nowadays mate I'm just glad to be on the bank.

Maybe I'm talking like a soppy old fool I don't know? But to hell with it life's not about goals/scores etc it's about about being happy and a figure on a scale don't make much odds to me now but the fish itself certainly does bring the inner child out from with in me

O

O.C.F.Disorder

Because there is no risk of getting glassed in the head for calling out someones BS on the internet.

Reaction score
I'm glad to say that a 1-15 roach has as much kudos as a 2 to me,might be different if I'd never caught a 2lber though,as for the glass in the head,then I'll stay out of the pub you drink in ocf...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think anglers should tell of notable fish, I caught 5 roach or I caught 5 roach and one of them weighed 2lb+/3lb+ is a lot more interesting.
I am not so interested in records but if there was a list of notable fish caught down the years per river, per lake, per gravel pit etc I would find that more interesting. Maybe if there was a weight limit for when they got accepted, 2lb for roach, 10lb for barbel etc. Then it would be interesting and would help to see which rivers were declining or not, what was the best river/lake for big roach etc and so on. I came across a best 50 list but it was not divided per venues.

Philip

Reaction score
I'm glad to say that a 1-15 roach has as much kudos as a 2 to me,might be different if I'd never caught a 2lber though

The ironic thing is Alan that the fact you know you have caught a 2lb Roach already means you must have weighed them in the past to know that and cared enough to remember it made it past that mark !

Reaction score
Philip,I weigh any interesting fish,never said I don't,in fact I would not fish if I found I'd forgotten my scales,to me it's interesting talking amongst friends,or on fm about catches,plastering pictures of yourself(and your fish)all over the angling weeklies and making big fish captures public is short sighted and opens your venues to excessive pressure,with the circus following you about and yes it does happen,by the way,as an aside,not too many people on fm have met me,seen pictures of me with fish either,a recent joiner of fm Julian Peacock never used to publicise his big barbel captures and only in the last six or seven months has he given this info up(a few years after otters had destroyed the barbel fishing),selfish,possibly,but he tried protecting his venue from exploitation.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
making big fish captures public is short sighted and opens your venues to excessive pressure,with the circus following you about and yes it does happen

Not only catches but how they were caught. I kept quite what I was doing to catch plenty of large Barbel some years ago not even telling a friend that was fishing the same stretch of river, eventually after 2 seasons I told him, next thing I see its in an angling mag having been written about by another angler fishing the stretch, wasn't long before it stopped working so well, friends eh.

I don't see keeping fish ,catches or methods quiet as selfish, they are all personal to the angler that may have put plenty of work in to find them, far to many ready to jump onto the back of someone's hard work, selfish? more like sensible.

theartist

Reaction score
I'm glad to say that a 1-15 roach has as much kudos as a 2 to me,might be different if I'd never caught a 2lber though,

I bet when those scales do tick over the two your reaction will be more than if it was 1-15 :thumbs:

I got to admit to being guilty as charged when it comes to 1-15 roach and I can't think why. I like catching 2lb'ers but I don't keep a record of how many unless I count back through my records. A 2lb roach will get a good photo whereas a 1.15 may not unless it's pristine maybe because 1-14s and 1-15s are much more common. The last 2lb'er I caught was so ugly I was willing it to be under but found a good way of photoing it in the net which made it look better. One of my best catches was a 1-13 from a tiny urban river, everything has perspective even if the angler loses it sometimes

If think the gods of imperial measurements invented the pound to coincide with roach fishing, it's almost like you can tell a 1-15 from a 2 by sight yet it's only a flippin ounce :D

Reaction score
Ah but that is a target that angling has made,but it's if you personally grasp the nettle and chase that target,these days that 2lb mark is just slightly more pleasurable to me,I've been so chuffed to catch a 1-2lb barbel,in fact so much so,that a ten pounder would mean as much,in fact each barbel is one nearer my last,a morose thought I know,but it gives more pleasure to the last one...;)