Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  38
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Uk record fish.

Default Re: Uk record fish.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    I'm glad to say that a 1-15 roach has as much kudos as a 2 to me,might be different if I'd never caught a 2lber though
    The ironic thing is Alan that the fact you know you have caught a 2lb Roach already means you must have weighed them in the past to know that and cared enough to remember it made it past that mark !

Philip,I weigh any interesting fish,never said I don't,in fact I would not fish if I found I'd forgotten my scales,to me it's interesting talking amongst friends,or on fm about catches,plastering pictures of yourself(and your fish)all over the angling weeklies and making big fish captures public is short sighted and opens your venues to excessive pressure,with the circus following you about and yes it does happen,by the way,as an aside,not too many people on fm have met me,seen pictures of me with fish either,a recent joiner of fm Julian Peacock never used to publicise his big barbel captures and only in the last six or seven months has he given this info up(a few years after otters had destroyed the barbel fishing),selfish,possibly,but he tried protecting his venue from exploitation.
    Last edited by whitty; 19-10-2018 at 20:43.

Blog Entries

making big fish captures public is short sighted and opens your venues to excessive pressure,with the circus following you about and yes it does happen
    Not only catches but how they were caught. I kept quite what I was doing to catch plenty of large Barbel some years ago not even telling a friend that was fishing the same stretch of river, eventually after 2 seasons I told him, next thing I see its in an angling mag having been written about by another angler fishing the stretch, wasn't long before it stopped working so well, friends eh.

I don't see keeping fish ,catches or methods quiet as selfish, they are all personal to the angler that may have put plenty of work in to find them, far to many ready to jump onto the back of someone's hard work, selfish? more like sensible.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

I'm glad to say that a 1-15 roach has as much kudos as a 2 to me,might be different if I'd never caught a 2lber though,
    I bet when those scales do tick over the two your reaction will be more than if it was 1-15

I got to admit to being guilty as charged when it comes to 1-15 roach and I can't think why. I like catching 2lb'ers but I don't keep a record of how many unless I count back through my records. A 2lb roach will get a good photo whereas a 1.15 may not unless it's pristine maybe because 1-14s and 1-15s are much more common. The last 2lb'er I caught was so ugly I was willing it to be under but found a good way of photoing it in the net which made it look better. One of my best catches was a 1-13 from a tiny urban river, everything has perspective even if the angler loses it sometimes

If think the gods of imperial measurements invented the pound to coincide with roach fishing, it's almost like you can tell a 1-15 from a 2 by sight yet it's only a flippin ounce

Ah but that is a target that angling has made,but it's if you personally grasp the nettle and chase that target,these days that 2lb mark is just slightly more pleasurable to me,I've been so chuffed to catch a 1-2lb barbel,in fact so much so,that a ten pounder would mean as much,in fact each barbel is one nearer my last,a morose thought I know,but it gives more pleasure to the last one...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678