Crucian carp in Bedfordshire....

Reaction score
For many years I had several club lakes in Bedfordshire with good heads of crucians,today they are few and far between,yet common,mirrors etc are ten a penny,I remember catching around 80lbs of crucians at North House Lake,Wyboston,that was before local twin specimen hunters illegally stocked pike in the water,within 3 seasons there were none left,what a tragedy...does anyone know waters with a few in?

wetthrough

Reaction score
If anyone has updates on any of the waters listed then please let me know.

I've been getting quite a few at Dunham Fisheries. I'll get a photo to you next time I'm there - assuming I catch any. They were nowhere to be seen on Wednesday but not much else was either.

barbelboi

Reaction score
If this is a true crue Mark, which I believe it is, then they grow to around the 4lb mark in a certain gravel pit in the Colne Valley........................
crue 4lb 2 june16 - Copy.jpg

chrissh

Reaction score
I use to fish Stanborough Lakes Welwyn in garden city and Moor Mill Pits St Albans for crucians. But saying that I don’t know what they are like now. Moor mill pits is worth checking out

Keith M

Reaction score
I use to fish Stanborough Lakes Welwyn in garden city and Moor Mill Pits St Albans for crucians. But saying that I don’t know what they are like now. Moor mill pits is worth checking out

One of the accepted previous joint record Crucian Carp was caught from Moor Mill pits not long ago (from the leather pit).

The ‘Island pit’ held lots of large Crucian Carp in the recent past (1980’s and 1990’s) when bags of 3lb Plus Crucian were fairly common, but I heard that the Crucian and Tench fishing suffered quite badly when the ‘Island pit’ was polluted from the river Ver overflowing pollution into it a few years ago but it’s now starting to produce a few decent Crucian again, and the river Ver is starting to bounce back a little too and even has the occasional trout swimming up and down it now.

The notoriously hard Leather Pit which produced the record Crucian Carp and the famous (now deceased) Leather Carp ‘Toadless’* wasn’t affected by the pollution.
* Moor Mill Pits were previously known as ‘Frogmore Pits’ and ‘Toadless’ was a play on this.

The water is controlled by ‘Verulum AC’ and members can get day tickets (for their guests) but day tickets aren’t available to non-members otherwise.
Half season Memberships are still available if you look on the VAC website

Welcome to Verulam Angling Club

Keith

Last edited:

davebhoy

Reaction score
One of the accepted previous joint record Crucian Carp was caught from Moor Mill pits not long ago (from the leather pit).

The ‘Island pit’ held lots of large Crucian Carp in the recent past (1980’s and 1990’s) when bags of 3lb Plus Crucian were fairly common, but I heard that the Crucian and Tench fishing suffered quite badly when the ‘Island pit’ was polluted from the river Ver overflowing pollution into it a few years ago but it’s now starting to produce a few decent Crucian again, and the river Ver is starting to bounce back a little too and even has the occasional trout swimming up and down it now.

The notoriously hard Leather Pit which produced the record Crucian Carp and the famous (now deceased) Leather Carp ‘Toadless’* wasn’t affected by the pollution.
* Moor Mill Pits were previously known as ‘Frogmore Pits’ and ‘Toadless’ was a play on this.

The water is controlled by ‘Verulum AC’ and members can get day tickets (for their guests) but day tickets aren’t available to non-members otherwise.
Half season Memberships are still available if you look on the VAC website

Welcome to Verulam Angling Club

Keith

I don’t think the leather pit has much of anything in it but what it does have tends to be very big

I was talking to Dave Harrel, who caught the record crucial, earlier this year about it, but otherwise people tend to be very secretive about what comes out.

Reaction score
Thanks guys,the lists in the early posts are out of date,with some waters have no crucians today,whilst others are not available to fish,anglers today don't want pretty,challenging fish,they want big fish that give a 'big white hunter' shot,amazing how things have changed...