Bronze Maggots - Staining?

thecrow

Reaction score
Also found this which I find quite worrying considering the amount of the stuff that must be ingested by fish.

Sudan dyes are widely used in commercial manufacturing to impart a rich red, red-orange or
yellow-orange color to plastics and textiles. They are cheap and easy to obtain; for this reason, they have also been used for enhancing presentation of spices such as chili powder, paprika and curry pastes. However, large amounts (mg per kg) are required for effect. These fat-soluble Azo dyes, more commonly known in laboratory staining protocols or as constituents of hair dye, are Group 3 carcinogens. They also have potential for genotoxic activity through formation of mutation-inducing DNA adducts, as well as allergenic activity. For these reasons, many countries ban their use in foods. Starting in 2003, the European Union took steps to eliminate foodstuffs containing Sudan dyes from entering the marketplace (see EU Regulations listed below).

DNA addunct meaning......In molecular genetics, a DNA adduct is a segment of DNA bound to a cancer-causing chemical. This process could be the start of a cancerous cell, or carcinogenesis

sam vimes

Reaction score
If tackle shops are dying their own bronze maggots with a magic bottle of unknown dye behind the counter, I'd be rather dubious as to why. I appreciate that Chrysoidine is not an illegal substance, it also doesn't seem to be considered as subject to COSHH regulations.
It's not definitively carcinogenic, but the maggot dealers will sell coloured maggots, including bronze, without the shops having to do a thing. If I owned a tackle shop, I'd not being buying in whites to dye with a pot of orange powder in the back of the shop, just to save a couple of pennies, not even if it were definitively not carcinogenic.

I'd also be wary of blaming one unfortunate bloke's bladder cancer on bronze maggots. The reality is that he may well have ended up with bladder cancer if he'd never been an angler, plenty of people do. How many anglers used bronze maggots and didn't end up with bladder cancer? I can understand being wary, but there's very little in this life that won't kill you in the end. Just breathing will kill you in the end, not quite as quickly as not breathing though.

Here's some light reading on the toxicity of Chrysoidine. I suspect that some of the things we all routinely eat are of as much concern.

MRWELL

Reaction score
The best maggots you can get are Gozzers,you don't get them from tackle shops because they are not the normal run of the mill maggot,they are pure white like they should be and a lot bigger than the ones you buy at the shops,bred on chicken heart,the smell might not be good but the end result is the best maggot you can have and no problems with dyes..people need to start to breed there own like worms,it takes little time and the end results will save you loads of money and catch you fish..what more you want.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Phil, you can get blue ones, I think they're called disco's and there a mix of all kinds of strange colours!

Yep Discos .. Never caught a thing on blue maggot at all i stopped buying mixed and now just buy whites i found they work just as good as reds the only exception i have found is the very bright Lemon yellow but NOT bronzed these are Lemon coloured but only ever see them in limited numbers in mixed bags .

PG ...

flightliner

Reaction score
I was chatting to a teacher in the summer, science man.
He told me but for a few molecules in its structure magerine is little more than plastic !

stripey

Reaction score
I bought some bronze maggots (usually use white or sometimes red) and they have stained my right hand - it looks like I am an extremely heavy smoker! How do I remove the stain?

Swarfega will move it, after about 3 days of using it!

stripey

Reaction score
I bought some bronze maggots (usually use white or sometimes red) and they have stained my right hand - it looks like I am an extremely heavy smoker! How do I remove the stain?

You are not riddling your maggots before taking them to the bank, ask the guy in your tackle shop to put maize on the maggots, then the night before you intend to fish riddle them and you will not get your hand/fingers covered with dye, do not let the staining put you off bronze mags because they will catch when others will not,i would never fish my local river [the trent] without bronze maggots.

peterjg

Reaction score
Stripey, many thanks for your replies. I don't use maggots that often, I prefer to use them dead. I put them in clippy box containers, flavour them and totally cover them with filtered water and then immediately freeze them. I make sure that they are totally covered with water or some will float, I also leave room for the expansion of ice. This results in dead maggots which are not stretched and empty like normal ones. However; the bronze dye still comes off of the maggots.

Some anglers say that live maggots DO NOT bury themselves in silt or gravel - THEY ARE WRONG! Live maggots can do a disappearing act.

On dead maggots this season alone I have had some super days with roach, barbel, tench, carp, bream (unfortunately), etc, etc. That said my favourite bait is flavoured bread.

PS, don't forget to give the ice time to thaw prior to fishing.

Last edited:

hawb811

Reaction score
The best maggots you can get are Gozzers,you don't get them from tackle shops because they are not the normal run of the mill maggot,they are pure white like they should be and a lot bigger than the ones you buy at the shops,bred on chicken heart,the smell might not be good but the end result is the best maggot you can have and no problems with dyes..people need to start to breed there own like worms,it takes little time and the end results will save you loads of money and catch you fish..what more you want.

how do you make gozzers

daniel121

Reaction score
To the OP

Prevention is better than cure on this one mate, when it's on its on unfortunately, wash wash and wash it some more! The way to stop it from getting on is to riddle and change your maise in your maggots.

Or just use a different colour, I don't believe the colour makes a difference anyway but that's another thread and a personal choice.

peterjg

Reaction score
Daniel, I don't think that colour makes any difference either though I keep experimenting. I prefer whites because they ate bigger.

What I am certain of is that certain flavours can make a huge difference.

daniel121

Reaction score
Peter,

I agree I don't think the dye does the maggot any good? The bright 'disco's' as we call then in Nottingham are considerably slower and more likely to die than a white maggot is.