Bronze Maggots - Staining?

peterjg

Reaction score
I bought some bronze maggots (usually use white or sometimes red) and they have stained my right hand - it looks like I am an extremely heavy smoker! How do I remove the stain?

thecrow

Reaction score
It needs something abrasive, try washing up liquid and sugar on the hands before washing them, if you are feeling brave use sand instead of sugar, its something I have used to remove oil and grease from my hands after working on an engine.

peterjg

Reaction score
Sam Vines and The Crow: thanks for your replies.

The Bad One: It's our wedding anniversary next month - no I won't be doing the washing up - not going to spoil her now - it's taken nearly 45 years to train her!

I will never use bronze maggots again!

sam vimes

Reaction score
With a bit less tongue in cheek....
Doing the washing up will definitely dull it down. Just washing your hands repeatedly will get there eventually. Something like Swarfega speeds up the process. The most rapidly effective solutions involve liquids that you really don't want to be putting on your hands. Even with little more than regular handwashing, it shouldn't last more than two or three days. If it does, the shop you bought the maggots from went overboard on the dye and/or didn't clean them off properly.

In the unlikely event of you trying bronze again, get the shop to add a hefty dollop of fresh, clean maize meal. Leave them to wallow in it for a while. Before you use the maggots, sieve off the maize and add fresh maize meal or bran. If they've overdone the dye, the excess will keep transferring to the maize/bran.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Fill a bathtub or paddling pool with bronze maggots and roll around in it until your entire surface area is bronze. Then no one will notice your stained hand.

peterjg

Reaction score
Another Dave: yet another brilliant suggestion - it made me laugh!

I'm sorry I asked!

Reaction score
You'd look like you've been tango'ed,I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it but chrysodine dye was directly related to bladder cancer in anglers and I don't believe they're not still using it today...

mikench

Reaction score
I never like maggots but háve now gone off them completely! If the carcinogenic colour will permeate maggots skin then you are doomed, doomed I tell you! :rolleyes:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not to worry Mike, just use white ones, they catch more than all those dafy colours anyhow.....although I do use red and whites. I never have any stain from them though.
I would never use bronze maggots!

The bad one

Reaction score
although I do use red and whites. I never have any stain from them though.
I would never use bronze maggots!
Commonly know round my parts as UNITED's. Why you can't get sky blues I don't know as I'm sure they'd out fish united's any day of the week :lol2:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Commonly know round my parts as UNITED's. Why you can't get sky blues I don't know as I'm sure they'd out fish united's any day of the week :lol2:

Phil, you can get blue ones, I think they're called disco's and there a mix of all kinds of strange colours!

john step

Reaction score
Try rubbing hands with Cif.

I have never used bronze after the cancer scare. Even if they are supposed to be stained with something else now I am still suspicious. Who knows if someone has used something they shouldn't.

Anyone remember the big name who died.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Try rubbing hands with Cif.

I have never used bronze after the cancer scare. Even if they are supposed to be stained with something else now I am still suspicious. Who knows if someone has used something they shouldn't.

Anyone remember the big name who died.

The local tackle shop to me still uses the powdered crystals that where supposed to be banned. Apparently it wasn't banned and it's still legal to use it. They just put it on the maggots and shake them around and the powder covers the maggots and impregnates their skin. I was given some by accident mixed into my normal reds and whites and the stain ruined my white stradic reel and made my rod corks yellow n'all. It also stained my hands and I wasn't to pleased. I let the shop assistant know my feelings next time I went in the shop!

john step

Reaction score
The local tackle shop to me still uses the powdered crystals that where supposed to be banned. Apparently it wasn't banned and it's still legal to use it. They just put it on the maggots and shake them around and the powder covers the maggots and impregnates their skin. I was given some by accident mixed into my normal reds and whites and the stain ruined my white stradic reel and made my rod corks yellow n'all. It also stained my hands and I wasn't to pleased. I let the shop assistant know my feelings next time I went in the shop!

I have just done a search and it appeared on FM in 2005. Someone suggest it was Clive Smith who contracted cancer as a result of it.

metalmicky1944

Reaction score
You are quite correct it was the passing of Clive that brought it to providence, in the 60's and 70's match anglers and pleasure angler alike all looked like heavy smokers with brown fingers and thumbs. It took the best part of a week to wash off, just in time to start dying ones maggots on a Saturday for the big Sunday matches up and down the country. :thumbs:
The colour of an anglers hands on a Sunday morning at the draw in the various Pub car parks was often used by the local bookie as a guide to the odds he'd give if he didn't recognize the angler and the ducks loved the pieces of orange / brown sandwiches that got chucked in the water when anglers ate their "Pack up lunch"

Tight Lines
Mike

thecrow

Reaction score
I found this on google and wondered what these dye's might be doing to the fish that eat them?

How are maggots coloured?

Maggots are naturally white and are generally coloured by eating meat that has already been died. The dyes used to colour the meat include rhodamine (for fluoro maggots), auramine (for yellow maggots) and Sudan Red (for red maggots). Although the first two are carcinogenic, because the dye is within the maggot the danger to the angler is thought to be limited. It should be noted that following its research into red maggot dye, the Dutch Angling Federation banned the used of all coloured maggots in Holland and is calling for a European wide ban.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I found this on google and wondered what these dye's might be doing to the fish that eat them?

How are maggots coloured?

Maggots are naturally white and are generally coloured by eating meat that has already been died. The dyes used to colour the meat include rhodamine (for fluoro maggots), auramine (for yellow maggots) and Sudan Red (for red maggots). Although the first two are carcinogenic, because the dye is within the maggot the danger to the angler is thought to be limited. It should be noted that following its research into red maggot dye, the Dutch Angling Federation banned the used of all coloured maggots in Holland and is calling for a European wide ban.

If you think about it the angling federation in are right, just think how much poison is being fed to fish, birds and all kinds of other wildlife!

Always makes me cring whenever I hear anglers are feeding robins with maggots, you know they'll be feeding them poisonous coloured maggots.

john step

Reaction score
I like many others had not thought about the effect of red maggots as highlighted in the two previous posts. I have some red frozen and when they are used I shall continue to buy white only.