First Grayling outing of the Autumn

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If the rule is to prevent catching salmon par then why can you use fake maggots on most of these restricted waters?

John Keane

Reaction score
No maggot rules are almost always to do with preventing the capture of salmon parr. I don't know of any river supplying water for drinking with a maggot ban although some water reservoirs still have groundbait bans.

Whenever I have enquired about the rule in the past, when buying tickets, etc, I was always told that it was because the river was a drinking water source. Probably a bit of backwardness regarding hygiene and disease that has never been reviewed and amended. They are Welsh, after all!

Tin hat ON!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
John, the non maggot rule will be nothing to do with the water being used for drinking water bud, it's already full of sheep shyte, plus god only knows what else! We use maggots on our stretches of the dee.
It will be the club's own rule which they could change at the drop of a hat if they decided to. Obviously the game anglers will frown upon using maggots as the trout can't resist em.
You could feed maggots and hook on a rubber one :).

John Keane

Reaction score
John, the non maggot rule will be nothing to do with the water being used for drinking water bud, it's already full of sheep shyte, plus god only knows what else! We use maggots on our stretches of the dee.
It will be the club's own rule which they could change at the drop of a hat if they decided to. Obviously the game anglers will frown upon using maggots as the trout can't resist em.
You could feed maggots and hook on a rubber one :).

It’s not a club rule it’s a river authority rule, since my club (WGFC) and Llangollen Anglers and Bala Anglers and Corwen Anglers all have the same rule about maggots above the Horseshoe Falls.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It’s not a club rule it’s a river authority rule, since my club (WGFC) and Llangollen Anglers and Bala Anglers and Corwen Anglers all have the same rule about maggots above the Horseshoe Falls.

Sounds like an old rule that should have been amended.
If i'm honest, i'd just use maggots, if they catch you they can only tell you to stop using em.

cg74

Reaction score
Good story. Have you thought of putting your fishing reports on the HDYGO thread with all the others?

Keep this thread going as grayling fishing generates enough interest to warrant it's own thread, instead of being just another catch return.

Sweetcorn is an excellent grayling bait, but I've only ever found it effective when fished static .

That said the best baits by far are maggots and redworms. Why not try feeding chopped dendras and redworm on the hook to get around the maggot ban.

tinca49

Reaction score
I have caught well on sweetcorn in the past on the Irfon but my go to grayling bait on the Dee and Alyn is always red maggot, one club I'm in has a fly only rule on most of it's stretches of the Dee but I normally fish below Bangor where bait fishing is allowed.