Bread groundbait question

Another Dave

Reaction score
I have access to stale bread most days but i can't be doing with all the palaver of liquidising, as it always seems to overheat the machine. Is there an easier way to turn bread into a basic groundbait?

mikench

Reaction score
Pop down to Lidl and get one of their own brand mini chopper(Silvercrest) for £9.99 and just use it for this purpose! It's brill and quick and easy to use! I cannot claim this as my idea as Seth recommended it ages ago! I make a bag of plain , with added garlic salt, cheese or whatever else will add a certain je ne sais quoi! We have fish with sophisticated( read fussy) palates around these parts!

mikench

Reaction score
No! I just cut the crusts off fresh or slightly stale bread and pop it in around 2 slices at a time! I put it in a freezer bag and either freeze it or take if fresh! I did a full loaf in about 10 mins this morning! Er indoors has a fancy jobby but I cannot be bothered getting it out of the cupboard, finding the bits and then reversing the process. My little chopper( ooh er missus) is perfect for the job and I keep it with my tackle in the garage! It also has a 5 year warranty so keep the receipt Dave!

mikench

Reaction score
No! I use it straight from the bag! I have never riddled gb either!

Perhaps that's where I'm going wrong!:) Lumps dissolve in the water regardless and I'm not that precious!

john step

Reaction score
If you go down the route of grinding white crumb up finely it makes absolutely great cloud for bread punch. A good winter roach bait but used sparingly. A pinch at a time. If you take a pinch and squeeze it then put it in where your bait goes it explodes in a puff.
Very easy to over feed this in the cold.

In warmer weather on waters that have a dense stock of fish mainly carp perhaps, just soak the bread in a bucket and feed in as slop. Use bread flake form a fresh loaf on the hook. Sinks slowly and is the best carp /rudd bait going.

Edited for a PS.

PS. Slop and flake makes a very good chub bait summer or winter.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Liquidize,riddle and freeze the same bag a few times for winter fishing, as john says it is easy to overfeed, you want an attractor with little feed content, I feed a marble sized pinch and fish bread punch over it and when the bites dry up ,feed same again, sometimes a few grains of hemp are added, Warburtons finest for both hook and feed.

daniel121

Reaction score
It's a bait I personally hate, as said above its so easy to over feed.

I disagree with Mark on the branding though, I like the cheapo supermarket own brands the doughy stuff that tastes foul, it takes sticks on my hook like glue.

In summer I would not hesitate to use your stake bread as mashed bread, had many of good day on Tench in my local disused canal on mashed bread.

dann

Reaction score
Our blender blew up a while ago (not from me and bread I'll add) and we haven't bothered getting a new one so I sometimes pop a half a loaf in a tupperware full of water and let it sit for an hour or so. It turns to mush, I drain the extra water off and use it as is. Clouds the water nicely and seems to work well.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
It's a bait I personally hate, as said above its so easy to over feed.

I disagree with Mark on the branding though, I like the cheapo supermarket own brands the doughy stuff that tastes foul, it takes sticks on my hook like glue.

In summer I would not hesitate to use your stake bread as mashed bread, had many of good day on Tench in my local disused canal on mashed bread.

Daniel, I prefer the bread punch to be soft on the hook, I find I get more bites that way, The only time I want it to be sticky and stay on is if I am fishing a couple of discs cut out with an apple corer to fish the margins or across to an island with the pole, If I miss a bite at between 14 and 16 metres using it , It stays on the hook 90% of the time, I never put slices of bread in the microwave, or steam them over a kettle to make them tacky, Use straight from the bag and to make them stick if required just compress them at the edge between finger and thumb

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Do you flatten the slices Mark with a rolling pin?

No Mike, straight from the bag, either compress large discs at the edge as stated before, Sit on it to compress it if required,
Also do the bread mushroom which was covered in another thread, In the colder months I cut the crusts off before putting slices in the liquidizer, I do the same in the summer, but liquidize the crusts on their own, and use them as a change of attractor as well. Brown bread punch can work, it looks like a pellet when on the hook.

daniel121

Reaction score
Daniel, I prefer the bread punch to be soft on the hook, I find I get more bites that way, The only time I want it to be sticky and stay on is if I am fishing a couple of discs cut out with an apple corer to fish the margins or across to an island with the pole, If I miss a bite at between 14 and 16 metres using it , It stays on the hook 90% of the time, I never put slices of bread in the microwave, or steam them over a kettle to make them tacky, Use straight from the bag and to make them stick if required just compress them at the edge between finger and thumb

Fair play mate, I've experimented in the past with the microwave, rolling pin and steamer but in the end I'm happy with my cheapo supermarket bread, maybe because I'm tight... Dunno :)

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I tried the really cheap supermarket bread once, it was about 20p for a large loaf, I put it in the liquidizer, it crumbed up ok but did not seem to explode and disperse in the water like warbys does. Maybe it was to cheap and should have gone for the dearer own brand. I get 3 pints of liquidized bread from a large toastie loaf, the end crusts are kept as bait,