Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  43
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    O.C.F.Disorder Guest

Default Yet another moan about commies (sorry)

The other day I met a young lad on the river and we got talking, as you do, turns out he has caught HUGE fish of all the species (with photos for proof) golden Orfe and all! So I assumed he had been fishing for many years then to my shock he said he has only been fishing a year! It just so happens it was only his 4th time on a river and has been fishing places like anglers paradise and the like. He said he has got bored of fishing in places where he knows what he is going to catch but is disappointed by what he gets out of the river. I had no advice for the poor chap.

Having not been fishing for very long I am on that wonderful journey of bettering PBs and (having mainly fished rivers) its been so gradual. Its like the fishing gods have been smiling down on me. Every species started with a very small fish and as I have learned more and spent more time on the bank they have gradually got bigger and bigger.. Almost every time I have come into contact with a MONSTER prematurely it has escaped me, with the exception of perch. I caught a monster perch on one of my first ever lure fishing outings (oxford canal).

Excuse me if this is a stupid question but are commercials ruining fishing in the long term? I know they benefit the industry in the short term but maybe some of them are making it too easy? A lot of my peers are very instant gratificationy... They come, they see, they conquer, they leave. Where does this leave the future of fishing? I thought it was a growing industry but upon hearing rod licence numbers are down im not sure what to think.

Default Re: Yet another moan about commies (sorry)

Commercial fisheries are in existence because fishermen demand then and like them, its simple as that.

I do know what you mean, they certainly attract the instant carper type, that's not a pop as carp fisherman it's just an observation. I personally think fishing is on the decline and will continue to decline not because of commercial fisheries but because people are changing. Fisherman are getting older and not so many younger guys are coming inti the sport.

I personally like the variety of fishing available nowadays, it suits me fine. As I've said before I've spent a lot of my time unsuccessfully trying to promote fishing to youngsters when I first retired but at the end of the day..... It's dark and you won't change that.

Times change, I think without commercial fisheries fishing would be in a worse state than it currently is, its not how I've always thought but I've had my mind changed on this one from debate with others
    The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams!

Quote Originally Posted by O.C.F.Disorder View Post
    but is disappointed by what he gets out of the river.
    He will continue to be disappointed because the stock levels between artificial and natural are totally different.
    I watched an angler the other day happily catch a net of 2 to 3 oz roach with a couple of bigger 8oz. If you have been brought up to expect every bite to be a commercial size fish then will you never take to river fishing?

For me it is a bit like food, a commercial stuffed with fish is like McDonalds, we all know it's not great but there is always a market for it, it is quick and easy and lets face it, we all feel like a McDonalds at some point.

A beautiful stretch of the river is like a lovely home cooked meal, more effort, more time but if the recipe works out, there is little better. There are of course days when you follow the recipe and the Yorkshire puddings don't rise/catch any fish but that makes the next meal/catch even better.

With a bit of effort and time on the river the young lad will hopefully hone his skill and start catching better fish. A decent river perch or chub excites me far more than any carp I have ever had even if the weights are lower.

I like analogies and that's a good one! I fish a couple of day ticket waters which are on my card and like them! Fishing isn't easy however on either and they are not overstocked! One looks naturál and is as opposed to the fake canals and rubber ring type lakes of some!

What put me off the latter was the sheer number of guys with poles sitting cheek by jowl , not uttering a word and not even looking like they were enjoying themselves!

A blank in a beautiful setting, in nice weather with good tackle suits me fine; occasionally!

In financial terms, the fishing tackle industry would be on its knees without commercials. Many of us don’t like them, I don’t care for them myself any more but they were very beneficial when I first got back into fishing.

Blog Entries

Why does it bother some anglers where others fish? how they fish? and what they catch?

This lad was obviously happy with what he had been doing otherwise he would not still be fishing.

Commercials imo are the reason angling numbers are what they are, without them lots would have packed it in long ago, the elderly, the infirm or those that just want to catch something, anything.

Just what is a commercial? is it somewhere that makes money for the owner/renter if it is then like it or not we all fish commercials, very few waters are run on the basis that the fee charged will cover the lease only, some syndicates are but I have only belonged to one of those, moan away but it wont change the fact that more fish these waters than others, lets face it what beginner wants to sit on the bank of a declining river and catch next to nothing for their efforts?
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Blurred lines.

Comorants have ruined lots of natural venues where good catches were ‘normal’. Even as a 12 year old lad learning waggler fishing, we could go to the big country park lake and catch loads of roach, skimmers, tench, pike attacks (67 was my best with 12 skimmers!).

If you tried to do the same today you wouldn’t catch a thing!

So, in a way big and easy catches aren’t just a ‘commie’ thing. But, imo, natural venues are just at a loss to keep their ‘natural’ stock levels up to what they once were.

It is the fighting nature of carp which I think effects new anglers, if your first fish is a 6lb carp the pull from a 6oz roach aint gonna do it for ya. After catching my first barbel age 15 I didnt see the point in fishing for other species as they couldnt pull back like a barbel.

------------------
    Surely rod numbers being down is a result of carpers not needing to buy 2 licences any more?

Within geographical/economic restrictions, fishing is whatever you want it to be. Commies aren't my thing, but I'm not going to moan about their existence. I don't like gambling, but I don't complain about the existence of bookies. Lots of people obviously like commies, and bookies, or they wouldn't exist.

Blog Entries

Commercial fisheries provide a safe alternative to river fishing and one that usually does not require much walking as we usually expect to do on a river.

It is clearly evident that the average age of anglers is increasing and as this happens so the commercial fishery corners the market as well as providing much needed sport.

My nearest commercial fishery has relatively easy access, safe parking, has a well-stocked on site tackle shop and a decent café for a pre or post fishing meal.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast