Same strength mainline and hooklength question.

daniel121

Reaction score
I know Philip,can you explain why,it seems highly dodgy in terms of fish safety and if the braid breaks at less than the mainline regardless,that to me anyway shows a poor material. In these days of showing how safe everything rig wise is concerned it seems odd.

Id guess it's as I said, a knowledge of the product. I don't know because it's not my fishing and I've never used these materials, however I'm going to guess they use them for other properties that the different material gives them, so I don't believe they are inferior products just different?

Any speci lads to confirm or put me right?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone ever tried pulling for a break if snagged up when fishing braid ?

Hands up here sir :hand:......had to do that a few times in the past.
I just wraped it round my sleeve or a towel, broke it easy enough.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I only asked because I thought braid was hard to break. I have never used it, but have a couple of reels I acquired loaded with it. I came across a good method of attaching mono hook length leader to it, Tie an overhand knot in the end of the braid, Tie a loop in the end of the mono,Fold the loop over on itself and put the knotted end of the braid through the loop and pull down on the loop to tighten behind the knot, have a few spare same length leaders made up in case of breakage when fishing. then just remove old leader from braid and replace, Saves doing fancy knots to join them together, Anyone who uses dacron connectors for pole fishing will know about the method with the loop I described due to it being used for connector and elastic.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I always use the albright knot to attatch braid to mono or to fluro.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Maver have a gadget that joins braid and mono, I think it works like this, place braid and mono side by side and form a loop, insert end of gadget in the loop with a depressed hook in the gadget joining braid and mono, twirl gadget around a few times, Bring joined ends through the loop and then pull free ends of braid and mono so the tighten against the joined ends, Release hook. Looking at it , it once you have the gist of it ,it would take seconds to do, I would also reckon it would be ideal for joining two different breaking strains of line together, I think they are about £7

Reaction score
If an unexpected breakage occurs and your 'safe' rig accessories leave the fish with a 28lb length of line from the fish,how is it safe,the definition gets me,a guy with 'cliniq' or similar in their bags,give themselves a pat on the back,then leave a short length of tow rope attached to their quarry.:eek:mg: