Same strength mainline and hooklength question.

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
Howdoo all.
Is it true that if you use, say for example, a 5lb breaking strain main line coupled with a hooklength of the same line, that the hooklength will still break off at the loop connection with the mainline, in a snag or whatever, due to the small reduction in strength at the knot? A guy I sometimes fish with says this is the case, I have always believed that a slightly lower breaking strain line than the mainline is the way to go re hooklengths, any opinions, experience about this?
Cheers, Michael.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The only time I would use the same B/S hooklength as my mainline is if I was to use a low diameter hooklength. Reason being a mainline such as daiwa sensor will break at a higher B/S than the low diameter pre stretched line.
Don't belive that your line will automatically break at the knots either because when i've even had to pull for a break my line has always snapped well above or below any knots and never at a knot.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
There are too many variables to make definitive statements. The knots used, how well they are tied etc etc.

However, the chances are that using identical lines for both mainline and hooklength would see it breaking at a joining knot. depending on how the two are joined, it may not automatically be the lower of the two knots that break. The biggest snag is that I can't see many choosing to use exactly the same lines for both mainline and hooklength.

Most people use standard mono mainlines that are often significantly under-rated. For hooklinks, they often use omething a bit more hi-tec that is often over-rated. Chances are that this combination of lines is likely to see the hooklink break first even when the breaking strain is nominally the same.

The problems arise when people start making assumptions when they aren't really sure about the lines they are using. Many experienced anglers use hooklinks of higher nominal breaking strain than their mainline. To do so safely requires a fairly intimate knowledge of the lines concerned.

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies, so, erring on the safe side of using say, half a pound lower B/S hooklink than main line, is what I have been using, and seems to be a good plan to continue with.

daniel121

Reaction score
Sams reply above is a good one.

The thing with lines have got quite confusing in recent years, the theory of old still remains. You need to use a weaker hook link than your mainline however it's not as simple as just looking at the Breaking strain anymore unfortunately.

Little dannyboy history lesson :) Presteached lines were traditional measured in diameter, while strechy monofilament lines were measured in breaking strain.

When fishing the pole its a easier way of measuring your line, 2lb breaking strain does not mean anything but 0.12 does.

Example

2lb maxima (a reel line) put on the pole would break far far higher becasue of the way its set up, maxiama breaks higher anyway but with the elastic it would make it even stonger. Now let's take Preston powerline (a presteched rig line) in 2lb B/S would break miles below the 2lb maxima but is a good compareble becuase it would still break higher than 2lb because preston reflo power line, just like maxima breaks higher than stated on the spool. This as Sam says takes a in depth knowledge of the product we are using.

So how confusing for the consumer is that? We refer to maxima as 0.12 and preston reflo powerline as 0.09 oh that makes sence now maxima's is stronger.

That's why people measure in diameter a lot nowadays.

Reaction score
As tigger says it you use sensor,or some other quality mono and a low diameter hooklink it is possible to use heavier hooklinks than mainline on paper,usually it's the stretch in your mainline increasing the quoted b.s.,I personally don't use same strength hooklengths,too risky imb.

thecrow

Reaction score
I have on occasion used the same or higher hooklenth BS, this summer I fished 10lbs sensor straight through with no problems however as you mention snags in your opening post I would say that the angler needs to know the area they are fishing intimately, know where snags are weedbeds to and it doesn't hurt to know what type of weed is about as some are more abrasive than others.

Fish to the conditions of your swim and you wont go far wrong, never just fish for bites.

Philip

Reaction score
Just to confuse the matter even more the Carp fraternity often use hooklinks of higher breaking strain ....15lb mono main line and 25lb braid hooklink for example.

Reaction score
I know Philip,can you explain why,it seems highly dodgy in terms of fish safety and if the braid breaks at less than the mainline regardless,that to me anyway shows a poor material. In these days of showing how safe everything rig wise is concerned it seems odd.

Last edited:

wetthrough

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies, so, erring on the safe side of using say, half a pound lower B/S hooklink than main line, is what I have been using, and seems to be a good plan to continue with.

I've fairly recently had a 4.4lb main break above the float against a 3.3lb hooklength pulling for a break so I've upped the mainline to something that actually breaks at a minimum of 5lb. Personally I'd go for a bigger safety margin.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know Philip,can you explain why,it seems highly dodgy in terms of fish safety and if the brake breaks at less than the mainline regardless,that to me anyway shows a poor material. In these days of showing how safe everything rig wise is concerned it seems odd.

I don't like the heavier hooklength than mainline. It's obvious that whatever is joining the two lines is going to remain on the hooklength and even a small swivel is sure to get snagged up eventually!

Reaction score
I've fairly recently had a 4.4lb main break above the float against a 3.3lb hooklength pulling for a break so I've upped the mainline to something that actually breaks at a minimum of 5lb. Personally I'd go for a bigger safety margin.

Mate that smells of a bad batch/damage where it broke/or an iffy mainline,most likely the first two.

Reaction score
I always cut at least to where your rod top is when your holding your hook and rebaiting off after each session,the line often gets slightly wrinkled there so I remove it,just to be safe,similar in lead fishing,I would advise you to do the same,if you don't already...

steve2

Reaction score
I am one of those anglers that rarely uses a weak hook link. Why build a weak spot in your setup. Most of my fishing is done with hooks tied direct to the main line.

ieh

Reaction score
I am one of those anglers that rarely uses a weak hook link. Why build a weak spot in your setup. Most of my fishing is done with hooks tied direct to the main line.

Mine too, whenever I'm fishing baits directly on the hook. With a bit more effort I could do the same with hair rigs - note to self 'stop being lazy'.:eek:

wetthrough

Reaction score
I always cut at least to where your rod top is when your holding your hook and rebaiting off after each session,the line often gets slightly wrinkled there so I remove it,just to be safe,similar in lead fishing,I would advise you to do the same,if you don't already...

I do already:) and upped the main line. I'm a stillwater angler though so a slightly heavier main line doesn't really bother me and float only at the moment. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I just though half a pound difference wasn't really erring on the side of caution. Each to their own. I might think differently if a fish was thrashing away against a heavy feeder or lead though.

rayner

Reaction score
I never fish a method with a weaker hook length, with 6lb Maxima mainline 8lb hooklength is the lowest I use.

Philip

Reaction score
I know Philip,can you explain why,it seems highly dodgy in terms of fish safety and if the braid breaks at less than the mainline regardless,that to me anyway shows a poor material. In these days of showing how safe everything rig wise is concerned it seems odd.

One of the reasons given is that fine braids can damage the Carps mouth so its more question of diameter than strength.

I suspect there is a rather large dollop of following the herd in there too. If the mags tell you to use 25lb Silkworm or Mantis or whatever jazzy name they give them nowadays then people will follow.