Shakespeare reels.

Reaction score
As a matter of interest,does anyone use Shakespeare coarse reels,I wonder if they are usable as they seem pretty cheap...

iain t

Reaction score
My son has a super match in 40 size. He likes it. Layline seems as good as any decent reel and the clutch is strong and smooth. Think they sell for £29.00. I hear the agility are a upgrade of the super match

bullet

Reaction score
Ive got a couple mach 2 front drags, one is fairly old and abused and sounds terrible but still works fine, the other is newer and still very smooth.
Tbh can't fault them for the money. You even got 3 metal spools with them, which is more than can be said for my Shimmy reels, some of which are about 8 times the price.
Line lay as good as anything imo...

Reaction score
I'm interested as if they have reasonable power when winding,the prices are excellent.

Philip

Reaction score
I have a pair of Sigma 40FDs and I like them allot. Use them for feeder type work.

I took a chance as I saw one on sale at a silly price. I liked it enough to go back and get a second one (which was the last one in the sale). I had some initial doubts about the quality as some of the silver paint on the trimmings started to flake off but that aside they seem to be passing the durabilty test and I really dont molly coddle them.

They are not Shimanos but as I paid less than £20 each for them I am not expecting that.

steve2

Reaction score
I use a couple for my lure fishing never had any trouble can't see any difference between these and my over price shimanos.Both do the same job and both do it well. If I needed more reels, which I don't, I would now look at lower priced reels.

Philip

Reaction score
If I needed more reels, which I don't, I would now look at lower priced reels

Thing is some of the lower priced reels look good in the shop and seem to tick all the boxes but just dont stand up on the quality side. Reels are such "mechanical" things with so many moving parts that bad quality does tend to get found out. Thats not to say you have to pay allot, just look beyond skin deep when your having a play with it if you see what I mean. ...as I am sure you would of course..

O

O.C.F.Disorder

I bought a couple of second hand shimanos off gum tree for pennies and they are bloody amazing. Old as ***** but smooth as you like. I personally stay well clear of shakespeares! I have owned a few of the cheap range and for one they are just not robust enough And the oscillation is terrible. If you are going to use one just do your self a favour and change the line. You will probably out grow them before they break and that really is saying something. Its a case of buy cheap buy twice. I would reccomend looking at ebay and other second hand sites and get something better.

Reaction score
Ah,sorry ocd,you don't know me,but I have eight shimano's and two daiwa's,all from new and most decent mid range or better,I'm just interested,I've watched a few vids by a Shakey backed angler,his reels looked efficient enough and the prices are very,very good.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Thing is some of the lower priced reels look good in the shop and seem to tick all the boxes but just dont stand up on the quality side. Reels are such "mechanical" things with so many moving parts that bad quality does tend to get found out. Thats not to say you have to pay allot, just look beyond skin deep when your having a play with it if you see what I mean. ...as I am sure you would of course..
The reels that I use for lure fishing have most probably taken more abuse in a day than many reels take in a season and they are showing no sign of wear after 5 years. By abuse I mean continuous casting and retrieving under pressure from lure and fish.

Keith M

Reaction score
I’ve always found that Shakespeare rods are really good once you get above the budget and cheaper level. I’ve had some excellent rods that were made by Shakespeare over the years, but Ive always found Shakespeare reels to be quite clunky and fairly hit and miss as far as quality is concerned.

Ive got two Sigma rear drag reels (which I won on Anglers Mail once upon a time) and both of them have missing parts to their handles (the handle bits that you screw down opposite the actual handle) and they both feel a little clunky and one of them is more than a little suspect when winding it in.

However I also have a Shakespeare fixed spool beach casting reel that used to be my fathers and it’s still going strong after many years of being used and abused.

So you pays your money and take your chances and as long as you don’t abuse it too much you should be fine.

Keith

Last edited:

philc

Reaction score
Hi. I recently bought an Agility FD35 reel on ebay & it seems to be very good quality & only £24.0
, it came with 2 aluminium spools & 2 handles. i just need to find time to try it out.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply philc,welcome,let me know how you get on with it on a rod...cheers.

philc

Reaction score
Hi. I will certainly let you know (if i get out at ant time soon). most of the venues i fish are closed due to KHV & i am in the middle of a load of DIY - it may be a while until i can got out again. maybe too late to be of any interet to you by then. Phil

Reaction score
No probably it won't be,I have enough reels to make do for a fair while;),but I'm curious about front drag reels that don't break the bank,and your reel interests me and if it is of a reasonable standard it could be worth a punt.

John Keane

Reaction score
I used to have a Sigma Match and it was just as good as anything Daiwa (Sweepfire) or Shimano (Alivio) do at a comparable price point.

philc

Reaction score
Hi Whitty

You Have probably moved on from this thread now as it was a little while ago.
But - i have actually found time & enough decent weather to use the Shakespeare reel in this post. For £25.00 it is brilliant it feels very solid, very smooth retrieve and the clutch feels very positive. I caught a 12-15lb carp on sunday and the reel coped really well. I cannot vouch for the longevity of the reel as only used once, but i am very pleased with it so far.
Sorry for the delay in posting a reply.

Reaction score
Just to say my missus has treated me to two agility 35 fd reels at £23.55 each,my reasons for wanting two is based on the idea of only carrying one but having three spools with the one I do,then if said reel dies,I have one sitting in the draw ready,probably see me out...