Specimen float rod

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I was looking at a greys txl specimen float rod ... seems quite nice

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I caught loads of tench on my titan 2000,some pretty good ones too,but I wouldn't use it in a tight situation,that's why I mention the specimen match,I wouldn't hesitate to use it in a hole surrounded by solid weed,wouldn't want to put your Avenger through that on 6lb mono...but if you've done so and it's up to the job,great stuff.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I caught loads of tench on my titan 2000,some pretty good ones too,but I wouldn't use it in a tight situation,that's why I mention the specimen match,I wouldn't hesitate to use it in a hole surrounded by solid weed,wouldn't want to put your Avenger through that on 6lb mono...but if you've done so and it's up to the job,great stuff.

Yeah Alan, the avenger is great for it, it's rated for 8lb mono same as your specimen rod. If I remember rightly, isn't the specimen float 12ft 9 or 10 ?

Reaction score
12-9 I think,I got mine after years of looking and yes it is rated to 8lb.Are you on about the Avenger 2000 Ian???

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
12-9 I think,I got mine after years of looking and yes it is rated to 8lb.Are you on about the Avenger 2000 Ian???

I have had a waggle of the specimen float a few years back, nice rod!
I've had the 2000, 3000's and settled with the first of the mkII range. All those ranges had the same line ratings, the avengers where all 8lb, I think the titans where 6lb and the microlites 4lb.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Can't remember that far back,lol.

There's a number of nice power float rods really as i've no doubt you know most of 'em. Have you ever seen or hhandled the drennan im8 specimen float rod? They are fantastic rods and just as slim as the acolytes. They have treble legged fuji guides and are very light. They're 12ft 9inches long, no idea why that length but I do know it works a treat.
Then there are the drennan tench rods, I tried out most of them and my favourite, the one I kept is the super tench, again it is 12ft 9inches long?
As with all my stepped up match rods i've used those two for tench and barbel fishing and they're excellent. You very rarely see the im8 specimen float rod for sale but you do see the super tench coming up on ebay often enough to acquire a decent one.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
The drennan acrolyte plus seems a stepped up float rod for comercial carp and other bigger species

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Or what is wrong with the series 7 pellet or carp waggler rods ? Reel lines to 7 lb it states ... noticed acrotytes are no way cheap ! £180

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Or what is wrong with the series 7 pellet or carp waggler rods ? Reel lines to 7 lb it states ... noticed acrotytes are no way cheap ! £180

You said didn't like the series 7 rods?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
You said didn't like the series 7 rods?
The series 7 tench and specimen float rod . I have had a few other 7 series too they was ok but wasn't overly impressed with them .

Any used a greys txl specimen float rod ?

jasonbean1

Reaction score
greys rods are pretty poo nowadays, save your money and buy something decent

iain t

Reaction score
For Tench, i use my Preston 12.6ft Asaki heavy float rod. Shame they don't make them any more. They do come up every now and then on ebay. Had Tench, Barbel, carp. on it. A sensertive tip that even silver make it wiggle.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Be wary of thinking that the Acolyte Plus is an out and out specimen float rod. It's definitely stronger than an Acolyte Ultra, but that doesn't make it a beefy rod. The Acolyte Ultra is less powerful than the majority of float rods out there. That makes the more powerful Acolyte Plus more broadly comparable to many manufacturers average float rods. I'm not trying to suggest that people can't extract good fish with Acolyte Pluses, but they may not meet expectations for those chasing a "power" float rod.

mikench

Reaction score
I agree with your comments! Matt is after tench and crucians on stillwaters according to him so how powerful a rod does he need? That is a rhetorical question!

I accept that a large tench in weedy water or lily pads may need a strong rod but I'd have thought it would be stronger line and hook-length that was the key. If I caught a carp which I wasn't after and then lost it, I would be rather relieved!

davebhoy

Reaction score
For Tench, i use my Peston 12.6 Askai heavy float rod. Shame they don't make them any more. They do come up every now and then on ebay. Had Tench, Barbel, carp. on it. A sensertive tip that even silver make it wiggle.

A lovely rod, although the rings are a bit lairy and not to everyone tastes. I owned both that version of the carbonactive and the standard float version, both asaki blanks. There’s not actually that much between them, the power version was plenty sensitive

I’ve been through quite a few heavy float rods for barbel trotting and Tench and carp float fishing, I’ve ended up with a Daiwa Spectron XP (the M2 is the better rod imo) and an Acolyte Plus which I use for when I’m fishing on rivers and in lakes with smaller Tench and barbel. I’ve had Barbel to 8lb on it and it’s coped pretty well with it. I love fishing with it