Roach fishing

Mrnab

Reaction score
Hello, usually i generally fish for tench, bream or carp most of the time. So i normally use my 1.75lb test curve rods but i feel like doing some maggot feeder fishing for roach helicopter style. The feeders weigh 1oz and the lake im fishing the roach go to 2lb odd. I was wondering if i would get enough indication from these rods or would i need to go to my quiver tips.

mikench

Reaction score
I.75tc rods are complete overkill imo for roach! I doubt you would enjoy the experience let alone the fish! A quiver tip would be preferable! I assume your rods are not carp rods!.

You would get some indication but more like a cry for help than a distinct tug!:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your rods are too powerful imo,even if you fish helicopter rigs,1.25lb tc would be ok for this...

Reaction score
Even pound and a quarter rods are heavy for roach,but are good for helicopter rigs for roach with maybe 1-5oz feeders.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
The only proper way to catch Roach is by float

Totally agree ...its great to watch a float whizz away as another welcome Carp makes off with the Roach bait.

Reaction score
Yeah,but there is always a priest,the kills all germs answer,you can always blame the koi herpes virus.:cool:

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I have to agree with Philip...Nothing worse than hooking into a carp on light roach tackle. On Monday I experienced a perfect 'wrap around' on my 11' Ultralight when the float went away like a rocket before I could move a muscle. Happens at least once every session.....................and on the smallest of baits.

But for the carp I would like to try quiver tipping as a change from the float (lugging a double figure carp around a lake for goodness knows how long does nothing for me) but I would need a rod no longer than 10' to fish tight swims. Anyone have any ideas around this??

mnrb...............What quiver tip rod are you thinking of using?

(Apologies for cutting across the OP's thread, but it is sort of relevant...)

Reaction score
I have to agree with Philip...Nothing worse than hooking into a carp on light roach tackle. On Monday I experienced a perfect 'wrap around' on my 11' Ultralight when the float went away like a rocket before I could move a muscle. Happens at least once every session.....................and on the smallest of baits.

A very sad tale and a real pain in the harris,use the priest more...:cool:

daniel121

Reaction score
Hello, usually i generally fish for tench, bream or carp most of the time. So i normally use my 1.75lb test curve rods but i feel like doing some maggot feeder fishing for roach helicopter style. The feeders weigh 1oz and the lake im fishing the roach go to 2lb odd. I was wondering if i would get enough indication from these rods or would i need to go to my quiver tips.

In one word mate 'no'

Roach are a clever delicate fish, you will need a soft rod with some fine quiver tips if fishing still water. With practice it will surprise you want can be landed on soft match rods

Reaction score
Daniel,if you fish helicopter rigs roach drag your rod in nearly,I'm not keen and like most would use a float.As an aside have you fished Bedford main river recently,I wonder how the weed is,haven't been for ages and might take a punt.

daniel121

Reaction score
Daniel,if you fish helicopter rigs roach drag your rod in nearly,I'm not keen and like most would use a float.As an aside have you fished Bedford main river recently,I wonder how the weed is,haven't been for ages and might take a punt.

Hi whitty, I'll be honest with you mate I've never fished a helicopter rig in my life. There's not much in course fishing I've not done if I'm honest but that's one thing. I've fished a method called locally the 'dink dink' which produced savage bites and pretty much defied all rules of fishing! I've not done this for many of year but used to do it a lot in fast water swims near Stoke bardolf.

What I will say that will contradict my own post regarding roach, it seems to depend on the specific venue and stocking levels as to how aggressive roach feed. However my first post was a generalisation :)