MAP Dave Harrell HT Match Rod 14ft

John Keane

Reaction score
I’ve negotiated a buy on one of these rods, which are built on Harrison blanks, and go to inspect (and purchase) on Thursday. Still got the shrink wrap on the handle!

Going to use it for trotting with a ‘pin, initially for grayling on the Welsh Dee but may also do a bit of tench/crucian with it in the nicer weather next year.

Anyone else got one or had one or used one?

jasonbean1

Reaction score
what length is it? I sold a 14fter a years ago, not particularly a good rod then, nowadays you can pick 2nd hand acolytes up for under £100 a lot better option unless you really want that rod?

and to be honest Harrison blanks are not that good as float rods.

John Keane

Reaction score
what length is it? I sold a 14fter a years ago, not particularly a good rod then, nowadays you can pick 2nd hand acolytes up for under £100 a lot better option unless you really want that rod?

Length is in the title - 14ft. I’ll inspect it, with a ‘pin on for the weight and buy it if feels right.

liphook

Reaction score
Are these rods definitely built on Harrison blanks? I've heard differing views on this? If they are then are they just a rebadged GTI?

jasonbean1

Reaction score
the one I had was 14ft and at the time it was said they were Harrison blanks....but I never knew for sure. My mate bought a 17ft MAP dave Harrell about the same time, put him off long rods for life...until he tried my 17ft acolyte and he went straight out and bought one.

John Keane

Reaction score
Are these rods definitely built on Harrison blanks? I've heard differing views on this? If they are then are they just a rebadged GTI?

A very good mate of mine is in product development for Harrison’s (I’ve had a tour of the factory and tested some of their fly rod blanks from their casting platform on the dock behind the factory) and I rang him to check last night and he confirmed that the blanks for the MAP Dave Harrell Concept Match by Leeda, are indeed Harrison blanks.

John Keane

Reaction score

PS - please point me in the direction of the 2nd hand 14ft Acolytes (Ultra or Plus) for under £100 as I’ve looked, and they’re like the proverbial rocking horse sh*t!

mikench

Reaction score
I would be wary of buying a s/h rod of this type unseen! I can't say I have seen any below £100 but then I havent looked! I would prefer to buy new with the warranty! I am sure most Tackle shops would do a deal and when 10% offers are made the price differential is smaller!

Here is a link!NEW Drennan 14ft Acolyte Plus Float Fishing Rod - RMACPL140 | eBay

I reckon I would stick with your matchpro John! (0-3 tonight):)

fred hall

Reaction score
the one I had was 14ft and at the time it was said they were Harrison blanks....but I never knew for sure. My mate bought a 17ft MAP dave Harrell about the same time, put him off long rods for life...until he tried my 17ft acolyte and he went straight out and bought one.

A few years back at one of these Fishing Shows I talked myself into buying a MAP 17ft float rod - it was just too good a bargain to miss wasn't it? First trip out on the Ribble trotting for dace and small chub it started off well but after about an hour my arm was aching like you wouldn't believe then the top section just broke clean in two on the cast!
In recent years I've used a Tricast John Allerton 17ft float rod which is a joy to fish with. Perhaps sometimes you do get what you pay for.

NB My Tricast rod is not a power float rod.

John Keane

Reaction score
Bought the 14ft Dave Harrell after inspection and handling with reel attached. Enormously impressed with it. Still got the shrink tube on the handle and zero signs of previous use.

mikench

Reaction score
I hope it brings you joy John! An Ian Rush rod rather than a Djbril Cissé!!!:rolleyes:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Having had to endure him myself, I'll raise you an Anthony Le Tallec. El Hadji Diouf and Djibril Cisse were awesome by comparison.

mikench

Reaction score
I was feeling a little guilty about hijacking this thread by my reference to rods being like footballers( it may merit a thread of its own) but then recalled that the thread was started by you John and I assume you are not concerned!:)