Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default MAP Dave Harrell HT Match Rod 14ft

I’ve negotiated a buy on one of these rods, which are built on Harrison blanks, and go to inspect (and purchase) on Thursday. Still got the shrink wrap on the handle!

Going to use it for trotting with a ‘pin, initially for grayling on the Welsh Dee but may also do a bit of tench/crucian with it in the nicer weather next year.

Anyone else got one or had one or used one?

Default Re: MAP Dave Harrell HT Match Rod 14ft

what length is it? I sold a 14fter a years ago, not particularly a good rod then, nowadays you can pick 2nd hand acolytes up for under £100 a lot better option unless you really want that rod?

and to be honest Harrison blanks are not that good as float rods.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbean1 View Post
    what length is it? I sold a 14fter a years ago, not particularly a good rod then, nowadays you can pick 2nd hand acolytes up for under £100 a lot better option unless you really want that rod?

Length is in the title - 14ft. I’ll inspect it, with a ‘pin on for the weight and buy it if feels right.

Are these rods definitely built on Harrison blanks? I've heard differing views on this? If they are then are they just a rebadged GTI?

the one I had was 14ft and at the time it was said they were Harrison blanks....but I never knew for sure. My mate bought a 17ft MAP dave Harrell about the same time, put him off long rods for life...until he tried my 17ft acolyte and he went straight out and bought one.

Heard the blanks are quite heavy by today's standards

Quote Originally Posted by liphook View Post
    Are these rods definitely built on Harrison blanks? I've heard differing views on this? If they are then are they just a rebadged GTI?
    A very good mate of mine is in product development for Harrison’s (I’ve had a tour of the factory and tested some of their fly rod blanks from their casting platform on the dock behind the factory) and I rang him to check last night and he confirmed that the blanks for the MAP Dave Harrell Concept Match by Leeda, are indeed Harrison blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbean1 View Post

PS - please point me in the direction of the 2nd hand 14ft Acolytes (Ultra or Plus) for under £100 as I’ve looked, and they’re like the proverbial rocking horse sh*t!

I would be wary of buying a s/h rod of this type unseen! I can't say I have seen any below £100 but then I havent looked! I would prefer to buy new with the warranty! I am sure most Tackle shops would do a deal and when 10% offers are made the price differential is smaller!

Here is a link!NEW Drennan 14ft Acolyte Plus Float Fishing Rod - RMACPL140 | eBay

I reckon I would stick with your matchpro John! (0-3 tonight)

Quote Originally Posted by iain t View Post
    Heard the blanks are quite heavy by today's standards
    196g for 14ft, that’s 7oz and not bad at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast