Breaking a float rod

mikench

Reaction score
Following on various threads on rods for specific species and particular environments , I was left to ponder on how many members have had a rod break because of the pressure imposed, weight of fish or water conditions! I would have thought that sensible line diameters and hook length strengths( proportionate) would prevent a rod snapping or am I wrong?

Thankfully this hasn't happened to me and I cannot say I ever felt it would! Am I wrong in referring to a float rod specifically rather than to rods generally? Why would a comparable feeder rod( not a poker) be any different!

I have never quite understood why float rods never have a tc ascribed to them! Power or specimen seem to be the test! Odd!

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
I think that no rod should break if recommended line strengths are used with it; unless there is an inherent fault in its blank or the rod has been subject to abuse (accidental or otherwise) during its lifetime.

The only rod breakages that I’ve ever had; which have been extremely rare occurances; have been through one of the above reasons anyway.

NB: Recomended line strengths are usually just a guide but I myself wouldn’t go too much past the rods upper limit, if at all.

Keith

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
The most expensive float rod I had bought at the time broke about 6 inches from the tip. Those 6 inches ran down the line to the float to mock me.

About 10 minutes before I had knocked the tip on an overhanging branch. :eek:mg:

iain t

Reaction score
Never had a float rod break on me. Am sure i could break one by locking the reel clutch, heavy line and abuse. Float rods are rated at what weight they can cast when an Avon/Carp are rated by their action of the curve. Its all down to the action of the blank. It would take much more force to get a float rod to bend the same amount as an Avon rod. In truth, the float rod would probably break if you forced it to get the full upside down U shape of an Avon Rod. The float rod would be more of a J shape. Hench why a float rod has more back bone then an Avon rod

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The most expensive float rod I had bought at the time broke about 6 inches from the tip. Those 6 inches ran down the line to the float to mock me.

About 10 minutes before I had knocked the tip on an overhanging branch. :eek:mg:

Same happened to me with my Acolyte, took a moment to sink in what had actually happened with six inches of the tip hanging on the float.

But......I didn’t hit a tree or anything else prior to the break.

john step

Reaction score
Same happened to me with my Acolyte, took a moment to sink in what had actually happened with six inches of the tip hanging on the float.

Had you used it many times before the break? Was it one of those in racks at a tackle shop where people waggle them around and possibly catch them on the ceiling etc.

I often wonder how safe they are in transit if ordered and delivered by carriers.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No and no John, reckon it was the second or third outing.

Can’t recall the packaging but would have remembered if it was flimsy or not up to the job.

Drennan replaced the top section foc.

Philip

Reaction score
Never had a float rod break in use that I can remember although I have broken them by accident for other reasons.

I had an ABU Carp rod snap at the butt once while playing a fish, I had used it for ages prior to that without a problem but I suppose the the blank must had developed a fault. Thinking about it I also had an uptide rod break at the butt while reeling in..very embarrasing on a small boat full of other anglers!

john step

Reaction score
The most stupid rod breaks (plural) I caused were not on float rods but carp rods.

I moved swims and being lazy I left them made up and poked them in my 4x4 with the back door fixed open by the catch.
Unfortunately the rough ground pinged the catch and the door swung closed adapting my two rods to landfill.

Richox12

Reaction score
Line ratings do not mean you cannot break the rod if using a line within such a rating. Line ratings are very misunderstood.

The test curve of a float or match rod is pointless. It will be ounces and tell you nothing

davebhoy

Reaction score

And to me, but I was tackling up and put a small bend in the rod tip

I’ve had a feeder rod fold in half when I was casting, and an old 1.75lb carp rod break when I was trying to yank the float out of the reeds.

I broke my spod rod today funnily enough by being too rough taking it out the rod holdall. Other times I’ve broken tips it’s been my own stupid fault, taking them out of the car and getting caught on the car ceiling or putting heavy stuff on top of my rod holdall.

I’m slightly ashamed to say I was secretly glad when I broke the spod rod today, it’s rubbish and I’ve been looking at new ones for a while now

Last edited:

wetthrough

Reaction score
I would have thought that sensible line diameters and hook length strengths( proportionate) would prevent a rod snapping or am I wrong?

I would say you're right but what's sensible? Very few manufacturers state hooklength strengths, Drennan being one, but not for all their rods. Even then I think they're being optimistic. I wouldn't like to try lifting a 4lb weight with a seventeen foot rod. I think you'd have more than three pieces to pack away. I'd guess that manufacturers are frightened of putting realistic ratings on rods in case it puts people off. That and you can of course use heavier hooklengths without risk if you're pointing straight at a fish.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

I am forever breaking lure rods. I punish them too much.

Philip

Reaction score
I broke my spod rod today funnily enough by being too rough taking it out the rod holdall

I’m slightly ashamed to say I was secretly glad when I broke the spod rod today, it’s rubbish and I’ve been looking at new ones for a while now

Did your unfortunate spod rod "accident" coincide with you finding the exact new spod rod you wanted in a sale yesterday? :);)

davebhoy

Reaction score
Did your unfortunate spod rod "accident" coincide with you finding the exact new spod rod you wanted in a sale yesterday? :);)

A scurrilous suggestion. But I did make an offer on one after dinner tonight ;)

Reaction score
I've broken float rods whilst being lazy and not getting up to unwrap the top ring,lesson soon learnt I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Richox12

Reaction score
I would say you're right but what's sensible?

I would say the opposite

No-one wants to do this (but people do) however, imagine the following:

Put 3lb B/S through a light float rod, which we'd all agree would seem an acceptable reel line, then attach it to some reeds or similar and jerk the rod upwards violently to free the rig which is FIXED (e.g it's never going to become free) at the other end. Only one likely outcome. Snapped carbon. However, if you were to gradually pull using the rod applying more and more pressure you might be amazed to see/feel what the rod can absorb - it's a lot. They are very different types of stress. The first 'Shock' type is much more severe. And it can break a rod easily within a stated line 'rating'.

nottskev

Reaction score
As has been suggested, the only way you're likely to break a rod is through getting annoyed and impatient and pulling at a wrap-over ( I did it once and snapped the tip on a cherished DAM Quickstick) or trying to snatch your tackle out of a snag ( I did that, too, and cracked a joint at the thin end of a Tri-cast pole).

Your rods will withstand, within reason, stresses applied gradually and steadily. Which I try to remember on the days you keep hooking the foliage around your peg or casting badly into the er interesting areas in the swim. I can say from experience you do feel like an idiot when you damage a rod when trying to avoid sorting out a tangle or rigging up again.

wetthrough

Reaction score
I would say the opposite

No-one wants to do this (but people do) however, imagine the following:

Put 3lb B/S through a light float rod, which we'd all agree would seem an acceptable reel line, then attach it to some reeds or similar and jerk the rod upwards violently to free the rig which is FIXED (e.g it's never going to become free) at the other end. Only one likely outcome. Snapped carbon. However, if you were to gradually pull using the rod applying more and more pressure you might be amazed to see/feel what the rod can absorb - it's a lot. They are very different types of stress. The first 'Shock' type is much more severe. And it can break a rod easily within a stated line 'rating'.

You may well be right regarding shock loads. I wasn't really considering such risky activity. That said the shock load line will take is a fraction of its rating. I was thinking more of holding back large fish from snags whereby a sensible line rating (and I still don't know what that is) should avoid a rod snapping. I use a 3.3lb hook length at most which breaks at around 2.6lb and I think that's sailing close to the wind with a rod that's rated at 6lb.