Rod for baiting up.

maverick54

Reaction score
Looking for a 10ft rod capable of chucking 3oz comfortably without me worrying about it snapping under the weight.

Its only purpose is to chuck a very large cage feeder full of bait.

Am I looking at a carp rod and if so what test curve will I need to chuck 3oz +? Cheap as I can possibly get. Anyone have any knowledge that can point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

mikench

Reaction score
A carp rod is the answer! A stiff poker can be had for not a lot and it's perfect for firing out bait! I have 2 carp rods and cannot bring myself to use them for their intended purpose ! A fully loaded bait dropper or heavy feeder are fine and that is all I use them for!

davebhoy

Reaction score
Does it need to be 10’? It’ll make like harder than if you use a 12’ rod

I have a couple of Shimano tribal tx2 10’ carp rods, either 2.75 or 3lb tc, I forget. I’m looking to sell them, you can have one for £30 + postage

john step

Reaction score
Plenty of rods about that would chuck that weight. However if you intend to use it solely for baiting up could you mix up some bait and actually weigh what you in tend to chuck out.

I may be wrong but I suspect it may be much more than 3 ounces? I appreciate you specify 3+ but thats only up to 4?

Angling Direct have a Shimano spod rod for £34.99. for instance.

Last edited:

davebhoy

Reaction score
Plenty of rods about that would chuck that weight. However if you intend to use it solely for baiting up could you mix up some bait and actually weigh what you in tend to chuck out.

I may be wrong but I suspect it may be much more than 3 ounces? I appreciate you specify 3+ but thats only up to 4?

Angling Direct have a Shimano spod rod for £34.99. for instance.

A spod rod probably makes most sense.

I’d make sure you use a shockleader tied to your mainline if you’re casting a heavy feeder more than once or twice. And a reel with a large spool helps with distance and accuracy

Last edited:

maverick54

Reaction score
I want the 10ft rod so I can clip it up at the same distance as my current 10ft light feeder rod. I fish a lot of tight swims surrounded by trees so don't want a 12ft rod. Also my car isn't that big so getting long rods in the car is a problem.

It's a good idea to weigh the feeder but yes 3 oz should be what it will weigh but I will check.

Can you get 10ft spod rods then and does the test curve on a rod have any bearing on the weight you want to chuck. I just don't know if I need a 2.75lb or a 5lb to chuck 3 - 4oz. I'm clueless on that one.

Thanks

Last edited:

stillwater blue

Reaction score
The old rule of thumb used to be for every ounce you're casting you need a pound test curve, so a 3lb rod works best casting 3oz. Most modern rods can be pushed a little more particularly if you're lobbing a short distance

john step

Reaction score
I am not sure I am getting my head around this. If you want to bait up for a light feeder rod, by my understanding you are not fishing very far out due to the nature of the beast.

Therefore a rod for baiting may not be necessary. Would a cage feeder on your light feeder rod suffice? Even balling by hand may be sufficient for larger quantities? How about a spoon and throwing stick or a catapult.

maverick54

Reaction score
Thanks for the input lads. It gives me a much better idea of what I'm looking for now thanks. A 10ft rod with a 3lb - 3.25lb TC should fit my needs perfectly and at just £35 won't break the bank.