Quiver tip rod............

Reaction score
Mark,I bought a Brennan and Hickman rod holdall in the late seventies early eighties which was a Velcro top closing,plastic construction,two pocket affair for umbrella,landing net poles and banksticks,the strap gave out after about 8-10 years lugging 4 to 6 rods or poles/whips to pegs in matches,I didn't throw it away,it sat folder up in a dustbin bag,while I went through three or four poor relations over the years,anyway I found out that a woman at work had a heavy duty sewing machine and cut a good strap off of one holdall and had her sew it onto the Buck and Hickman,that was around ten years ago and it's still going,slightly battered,but what a piece of kit,mud or rain just a wipe down,or even a shake,brilliant...

mikench

Reaction score
Mark I just wish I could get the intervening years back! You only live once and despite missing out on poles and boxes I have no desire to have either!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
@whitty Alan, my Nash holdall came off my roofrack at around 65mph going down the M56, It bounced over end to end a couple of times then skidded to a stop. Luckily the motorway was quiet and I managed to get it and I put it in the back of the car, Got home to inspect the damage, A few scuff marks and broken zip on umbrella pocket, and that was it,Built to last like a lot of tackle from that era.I sold it a couple of years later only because it was to short to house the pole I had bought, I know someone who still has a couple of the Brennan & Hickman fibreglass seatboxes, still going strong

Reaction score
As I say,that holdall is still going strong after being carried miles and miles,dumped,dropped,scuffed,the lot,it's not anything special as a rod holdall,but when it's fu@ked I'll be gutted,in fact I might even shed a tear,for my poor wallets sake...

silvers

Reaction score
I had the Nash Matchman luggage - excellent it was too. I gave it away to someone at work when I joined a sponsored team - but that stuff fell apart very quickly.

Whitty - I do though still have my "team mars bar" carryall - which I still use on canals and drains .... that's over 25 years old now! You'll have had the same at one point.

wrt QT rods .... other than my original sigma wand, the shortest i use are 11 footers.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have a daiwa canal wand 7'6" , set it right with the sensitive tip in it and a gudgeon would wrap it round, had a few F1's on it as well, Also have an old Silstar Kevlar/diaflex wand at around 7'. I have put a 1 ounce tip in this with a 1.5 ounce as back up for larger fish, I use this on commercial snake lakes, I wont part with them because for their age 25+ years I have found nothing comparable, For larger waters it is either a daiwa harrier at 10', or a shimano or maver at 12' , the maver being able to take a 3 ounce tip, also have a shakespere wand that hardly gets used.