Cage Feeders

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Alan I could be wrong but I think the advantages of a cage feeder really come in to play dependent on the consistency of what's going in it. In particular, I find fishing with liquidised bread from around now thru to the end of the season is a really deadly way of catching chub and big roach, however I do often find that the liquidised bread won't disperse from a tube style feeder - whereas the extra contact it gets in a cage feeder means it always comes back empty. I realise that some will say - "ah, but I want it to take a long time to come out..." - I'm not so sure I agree when it comes to liquidised bread though, it seems to either drive them crazy immediately or doesn't work at all... Sure others will have opinions on this too.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I use liquidised bread in a cage feeder quite a bit on a variety of stillwaters and have had roach, bream, carp, tench and even a pike (usually with crust but sometimes flake on the hook)!

Reaction score
As I said I use a cage feeder for chub in the smallest sizes,but for groundbait I would not use a cage,also if your liquidised bread isn't coming out of a tube feeder,your squeezing it too hard,groundbait should always come out on the bottom,not whilst falling through the water,that's what I want anyway.

Richox12

Reaction score
As I said I use a cage feeder for chub in the smallest sizes,but for groundbait I would not use a cage,also if your liquidised bread isn't coming out of a tube feeder,your squeezing it too hard,groundbait should always come out on the bottom,not whilst falling through the water,that's what I want anyway.

I use GB in cage feeders a lot (as well as bread & leam). Depends where you are fishing, how much/little flow and how deep but there times when I want the GB to come out almost straight away to make a cloud and make a larger area of feed before swapping the cage for a plastic tube so that feed is nailed on in a much smaller area.

Reaction score
Everyone to their own,I would rather strike out the appropriate amount of feeders where I intend to fish,if your fishing for roach then often a cloud may help,but feedering for roach is normally better with a blockend,so...Also the trend of mixing groundbait the night before to make an inert mix detracts from any cloud,unless fishes tails waft it about,very often match anglers today mix solid balls to hit the deck then break up,especially for roach,I did it yesterday,the response was instant.

Richox12

Reaction score
I actually use the cloud approach mostly for skimmers & hybrids but mostly smaller fish so under 1lb. I always mix my GB or GB & Leam the day before and you can get very cloudy mixes depending on what you actually use (very fine mixes and Tracix work very well especially with milk powder added if there's no flow/tow) and how little/much water you add. Even roach mixes can be made to be very active still even if mixed the day before.