Air pressure and it's affect on fish.

caught any mate

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has noticed any patterns in fish behaviour during periods of changeable air pressure.It could give us a heads up on venue,tactics,bait etc.

mikench

Reaction score
I can only repeat what a long standing and valuable contributor( currently en vacances) said about a high atmospheric pressure above 1020 namely that it was the kiss of death to fishing!

I wouldn't necessarily disagree!

barbelboi

Reaction score
I always associated stable air pressure with good fishing, and falling pressure with very good fishing, however I have been proved wrong by the fish many times over the years and have, on occasions, caught well on what is considered a 'waste of time' time to fish. I take more notice to my gut feeling and time that I have available............

Keith M

Reaction score
I and a friend of mine used to be Naval Meteorogists back in the 70s and we used to draw up charts detailing things like Air and water temperatures and air pressures and whether they were falling, rising or steady as well as numerous other things. we did this as part of our work anyway but if we were going fishing that night we just copied the local readings into our fishing logs before we left to go fishing.

We used to night fish around once a week and we found that our best chances of catching a few barbel and Chub was usually (but not always) either when the air pressure had been steady for a few days or it was falling after a steady period and usually this coincided with temperatures being steady for a few days or being steady and then starting to rise.

Back in those days we had quite a few warm balmy nights with clear skies when we could fish in our T-shirts right through the night and sometimes the barbel could be heard grunting as they turned upside down slurping at things like snails eggs and insects on the streamer weed trailing along on the surface.

If the Air pressure was rising on a clear night with no cloud cover which is usually but not always accompanied by a fall in air temperature and a slight fall in water temperatures then our catches used to start to fall drastically.

Keith

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I pretty much agree with everything said so far, only thing I would add is that in periods of high pressure you can probably tip the odds slightly in your favour by targeting predators.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've had all my best sessions for barbel in the hottest part of summer, in the middle of the day at it's hottest and with clear skies.
Same with tench and especially later on when the sunstarts going down.
My best grayling catches have always come on clear bright suny days during winter.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

I have found no real correlation tbh. Some people get over fixated on water temp too. I have known some who would go to the bank and not fish if the thermometer told them not to.. ludicrous.

Another Dave

Reaction score
When was the pressure highest this year? What were the catches like in the HDYGO thread then?

How would fish feel the delicate change in air pressure when they live in a much denser fluid? How would such an adaptation help them to survive and reproduce?

When did the fish hatch, their star sign might be a factor.

Keith M

Reaction score
I've had all my best sessions for barbel in the hottest part of summer, in the middle of the day at it's hottest and with clear skies.
Same with tench and especially later on when the sunstarts going down.
My best grayling catches have always come on clear bright suny days during winter.

Thats why I dont think that air pressure changes are so relevant during the day time, especially during the warmer months, and I rarely bother even noting them these days.

In my view prevailing water temperatures and wind directions are more relevant than air pressure; although air pressure can be a good indicator to coming weather changes.

Our findings regarding air pressure and our night fishing were only deduced for our night fishing exploits and they were only tendencies we had noticed and not set in stone, far from it. We only bothered noting them because we were both meteorologists at the time.

Keith

Last edited:

Reaction score
As has been said,pressure and weather are both associated with good and bad catching conditions,but I'm afraid we don't need excuses not to go and a bait in the water gives a far better chance than one in the bait bucket...

peterjg

Reaction score
Air pressure effect: there are too many factors to make a single conclusion, such as season, targeted fish, time of day, etc. No relevance, but I have noticed that you see more silt bubbles in low air pressure - sad I know - perhaps I should concentrate more on actual catching!

Apologies for being off-subject but the moon definitely effects fishing - even during the day.

Reaction score
Ah but Peter,would it stop you going,wouldn't me,if I'm going I can't be assed with worrying about all of it,I just go,fish against the conditions and catch,or not,whatever.

caught any mate

Reaction score
I have to be honest,I've kept records myself and can't see a pattern.The old adage of high pressure with fish high in the water ,and low,low in the water seems to hold true,but feeding patterns seem a little less predictable.That's the beauty of fishing I suppose.Thanks all.

barbelboi

Reaction score
In my view prevailing water temperatures and wind directions are more relevant than air pressure; although air pressure can be a good indicator to coming weather changes.

Yes Keith, as I've mentioned before hydrostatic pressure is much more intense than air pressure due to water being considerably denser than air. So, if a fish changes its depth even a couple of feet up or down it will go through more of a pressure change in seconds than any of us will ever experience on dry land. Therefore, how could the barometric pressure above the surface affect a fish that goes through equal to a surface pressure change if they move only a few inches up, or down in the water............

I'm not too sure of the answer though...............:)

peterjg

Reaction score
Ah but Peter,would it stop you going,wouldn't me,if I'm going I can't be assed with worrying about all of it,I just go,fish against the conditions and catch,or not,whatever.

Whitty, I'm the same as you, no it doesn't stop me going. Too old to stop now - when you gotta go you gotta go!!! The only thing that very occasionally stops me going is the wife - she is more sensible!!!

steve2

Reaction score
A friend of mine as recently started to log his pike catches in a chart against air pressure readings. It will be interesting to see if his catches are better than mine, I just go when I can.
There are various studies on the net and in books about air pressure and fish catches none really conclusive.

Reaction score
Whitty, I'm the same as you, no it doesn't stop me going. Too old to stop now - when you gotta go you gotta go!!! The only thing that very occasionally stops me going is the wife - she is more sensible!!!

Nah,I just put my fingers in my ears and sing loudly 'lah,lah,lah,le ,lah',another thing,never admit the wife is more sensible,not to other people anyway....