Question For Mark Wintle

• Thread starter Baz (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

Baz (Angel of the North)

There was a dead roach on the bank of one of my waters this weekend. Unfortunately a predator of somekind had taken it away before I could get to it for a photograph.

I did pick a couple of the scales up. The scales measured 15mm x 13mm at their widest and longest points. Is there any chance that you could have a guesstimate at the possible weight of a Roach with scales of this size? Or what you might expect it to be?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Baz...Had a quick look through a couple of books but they all seem to concentrate on the scale countto confirm the fish is a true roach-not much use to you I'm afraid!

I will continue to look-maybe your best bet is the Natural History Museum but I suggest it might depend on which part of the body the scale came from(thats only a guess!!)

Just looked a the size of the scale on a ruler-thats very big-maybe 5lb??/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Look forward to hearing from the experts view!!

All very interesting...........................

F

Fred Bonney

It's a hybrid/forum/smilies/dont_tell_anyone_smiley.gif

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Having checked photos of 1-08 and 2-08 roach, measuring the length of the LARGEST scales against my finger nail which is in both pics it would appear most likely nearer to 1-08 than 2-08. The 2-08 has scales about 18mm long whereas the 1-08 has scales about 13/14mm long. Beyond that not much I can say.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Fred Bonney-nice short answer Fred,was it just a guess though??/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

It's obvious you know lots of stuff Fred.................................

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Thanks Mark and everybody.

Disapointing as it is, I would suspect that Mark is right with 1.08. I was hopeing for something between 2 and 2.5 as that was the guessed weight from people that actually saw it. I haven't heard of a 2 lber coming off this particular water.

Now that winter is here, I might just give it a go with the Andy Nellist bolt rig for Roach, as it will mean fishing at distance to where I think my best chances would be. The good thing is that nobody else is doing it.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
That is a bonus Baz, you might be pleasantly surprised at the results.

Good luck mate.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Yes Steve, and I can still use my Delks Woohoooo.

F

Fred Bonney

Of course it was Tee Cee, and I do know lots of stuff most of it's rubbish for quiz nights though!

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Sorry, I should have said (The Andy Nellist <u>Helicopter Rig</u> For Roach).

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Is that the "Andy Nellist Powergum Helicopter roach rig"?

Have you been looking in my bookmarks Baz? /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Seriously, good luck mate, you could stumble across a "pot of gold" if nobody else is targetting them.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Sorry to dissapoint you Baz, but that roach was the last one in there/forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

That's the one steve. I was wondering how I could get at them being a good distance out, when I remembered Andys Rig.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
8627 posts Fred............thats one helluva lot of quiz nights in my book-do you attend special ones on fishing organised just for you????

I have probably read less than 1% of your posts but always found them interesting....lets hope we can see many more in the New Year....

Have good one Fred........................................

F

Fred Bonney

I just checked back, my first post was September 2001 Tee-Cee.

3 posts a day according to my calculator.

1% is just about right though.

General knowledge, as opposed to my fishing knowledge, is my forte.

Ijust go fishing , I'm no expert, just report or respond withmy experiences.

To be honest,I think the site has run it's course, especially now Graham's gone.

So, unless it get's more fishing interest from it's members,I doubt I shall have a great deal to post. We shall see.

Who knows, I may even get out on the banks more.My appetite was wetted again by the Idle roach.

You have a good one too, Tee-Cee....

J

Jim Crosskey 2

Fred, you'll find the busy roach is much easier to catch than the idle one...

(picks up coat and heads for the door!!) /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif