Need advice on fishing local pond.

CM110

Reaction score
Hi new member here, not sure if this is the place for asking a question like this, sorry in advance if it isn't.

I've got a local pond few minutes walk from where i live, one of my friends stocked it 5 years ago with Chub, Carp, Eel, Grass Carp, Roach, Rudd, Dace, Perch, Goldfish, Tench, Ide.

Not a lot of people know about it so it isn't fished much, the only problem is there is so much weed, you can only have your bait on the bottom at one part of the pond. I myself have caught a 5.4lb chub and a 2lb chub from it over the course of 5 months, and i've only ever saw one other chub come out and a 1.5lb roach. Can see the carp cruising about at the top but they just aren't interested in taking certain baits.

Bites are very shy as well, and the depth ranges from 6-14ft which makes it a bit harder to float fish.

Was looking on advice on how to maybe get these fish out of hiding and into my swim, it also seems like the pond is completely dead until it's dark then you hear it coming alive with fish rising/jumping everywhere.

Thanks, hope to get some good advice from you guys! :cool:

Keith M

Reaction score
I would most probably wait till early spring and then tie a length of rope to a couple of garden rake heads and clear a couple of swims out, and go for the Tench and Carp.

And untill then I would probably just fish a surface or bottom bait for the Carp and Chub in the one clear spot there is.

NB: You could always buy some nuggets of PVA foam from a tackleshop to prevent your hook points from snagging up on the weed on the way down.

It really depends on the day and how large the one clear spot is, plus the species I was trying to catch.

Keith

Last edited:

CM110

Reaction score
I would most probably wait till early spring and then tie a length of rope to a couple of garden rake heads and clear a couple of swims out, and go for the Tench and Carp.

And untill then I would probably just fish a surface or bottom bait for the Carp and Chub in the one clear spot there is.

NB: You could always buy some nuggets of PVA foam from a tackleshop to prevent your hook points from snagging up on the weed on the way down.

It really depends on the day and how large the one clear spot is, plus the species I was trying to catch.

Keith

Forgot that coarse fishing will get very hard soon because of the weather. I did rake a good bit of a swim out 2 days ago, spent about 2 hours doing it unbelievable amount of weed was pulled out.

Think i'll just stick with going for Chub and Perch on the lob worm.

Cheers for the reply and advice, appreciate it!

mikench

Reaction score
I agree with a rake! Jakes rakes are very good ! Spend a few hours raking out the weed and it will show dividends in the long run! Fishing can be hard enough without thick weed!

john step

Reaction score
For now the weed will die back. You should be able to fish the winter in the deepest part. Maggots would be good when it gets colder.

When the weed returns in the spring, then as others have said use a rake often to keep places clear.
Then prebait with a little corn or wheat and definitely hemp on a regular basis and the fish will keep the bottom clear whilst rooting around.

Philip

Reaction score
Throw some bait into one spot regularly and the fish will clear it for you plus you have a prebaited swim.

Make sure no one sees you baiting up.

Reaction score
Are you sure Calum,at £4,800 quid a go I'd expect a gang of blokes too...

I made my own drag out of dexion angle(holes supplied:)),bolted it together in a triangle shape(the convenient size),used studding and nuts to create the prongs ,then welded a lump of 30mm bar to give weight,a strong ring,rope and hey presto.

Last edited: