when a plan comes together.

caught any mate

Reaction score
I've been struggling recently with foul hookers in the margin.Thanks to some advice from FM members,I cooked up a plan to fish some sort of lift method.I had 2 small shot just touching bottom and a small crystal waggler.Every bite resulted in a fish hooked in the mouth fair and square.It's a shame the weather is going to change,I will have to wait untill spring arrives so I can see if it was a fluke or not.......What plans have you made and did they pan out as expected?.

mikench

Reaction score
Like Baldrick I usually set out with a cunning plan! Sadly it rarely comes together, a bit like Baldrick! I still enjoy devising them though!!:)

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Just don't overfeed the margins, it will draw to many fish in, Just feed per fish, when you catch one, re feed as you play it, Feed both margins, and take a couple of fish from one then feed and rest it while you do the same with the other margin. Put your bait as close to the bank as possible

rayner

Reaction score
Markcw is spot on, too many fish in your swim = foul hooking.
This year the days I've fished as all revolved around paste. The hook bait mostly has been the only feed I've used.
The only other method has been pellet. Feeding a small nugget of micros to kick the swim off then just 6mm pellets using short pole.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
When I use paste in the margin, the float I use is a PI self cocking pole float that is designed for paste fishing. No shot on the line required, And the same as Rayner I will kick start a pellet swim with micros, and fish either 4mm or 6mm banded pellet over them, I have used maggot over 2mm micros as well, and had a good catch rate, I feed micros as I play a fish out of the margin,and usually find by the time I have netted and released it and gone back to the swim, another fish is there waiting to be caught, It is no use throwing some micros in and thinking that's it, the margin swims need constant feeding to keep the fish occupied, I don't mean handfuls of micros, that can lead to foul hooking as they search for food, just a small pinch on a regular basis.

mikench

Reaction score
Being a wimp and having really struggled with man flu( still am if truth be told) I have resurrected my cunning plan for perch which I decided upon over two weeks ago! My kilo of worms are still alive, I have rewatched the Dai Gribble vids on the worm kebab and the perfect(Korum) helicopter rig and have prepared a mix of worm attract and GB. I will venture forth tomorrow on à do or die basis! I hope I will have something worthwhile to post on the hdygo thread!!! The rods are in the car and I'm all set. I'm actually a bit excited ; sad or what!!!:)