Maggot feeder

mikench

Reaction score
I often use one with a helicopter rig in the warmer months for roach , crucians and , well, anything else which comes along! I have found that in cold water the maggots become comatose and remain in the feeder and bites dry up! I have tried putting in fewer maggots but to little effect!

Should I do anything differently now in late autumn and winter?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ah, I know the answer to this one.

You’re using the wrong maggots Mike, you need to use Disco maggots, so called due to their non stop dancing actions.
:)

mikench

Reaction score
I knew there would be a simple solution John!:) You know I find maggots Travolting!:rolleyes:

This thread is doomed!!!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I use cut down feeders Mike, I have a couple that will only take around 3 - 4 maggots, As you are aware in the colder months fish do not feed as aggressively as the do in the summer, so a couple of maggots may be enough to tempt them, If you still want to feed more, use a feeder with the holes enlarged or the holes joined together to form slots. Also use maggots a few days old, putting fresh maggots in cold water can make them shrivel a little and go comatose, Rather like us jumping into a cold lake.... allegedly .

mikench

Reaction score
I will have a bash( literally) at enlarging the holes in one of my smaller Kamasan black cat feeders!

Who posted about warming maggots under your tongue!!!!!

iain t

Reaction score
I mostly always enlarge the holes in black caps. As for old maggots, i put a hand warmer in the maggot box in the very cold weather.

rayner

Reaction score
I use Dinsmore dual feeders, they're about 1 1/4 inch long and perhaps as thick as the tip of a first finger.
Bigger holes are a must in cold water. Generally I use 4 or 5 maggots.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I have some Drennan feeders complete with the feeder link attached, not seen them for sale for some time, I have cut one down to around 3/4" that takes around 3 maggots or few pinkies. I tend to feed pinkies and fish maggot when its cold. For all of you who keep maggots warm in the cold weather, throw one in the water and see how much it wriggles, not a lot, that's why it is better to use maggots a few days old and kept cool. By cold I am talking of either cat ice on the surface or a wintery breezy day.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Your best to use old fridge hardened maggots as they last longer.
Fresh maggots just stretch out as soon as the icy water hits them, especially in rivers!
Regarding the feeder, i'd make the holes bigger and stuff it with maggots so they push one another out.
Even in winter you won't overfeed a lake full of fish with a pint or three of maggots lol.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
@tigger thanks for confirming what I was saying about cold water and maggots, As for lakes full of fish in the winter,I live in the North West, we fish for bites not fish in the winter, I fish for bites in the summer on one club water.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A feeder hole enlarger?

You’re having a giraffe.

Reaction score
Small feeders,enlarged holes and most important of no more than three quarters full,the colder it is the fewer maggot in the feeder,another good tip in still or slow moving water is to allow the feeder to hit bottom,then draw the feeder 18in,allowing bait to get out and insuring your hookbait is in amongst them.

nottskev

Reaction score
A feeder hole enlarger?

You’re having a giraffe.

For the man who has everything.

Or the man who can't find his - I just ordered one myself.
Does the job without splitting the plastic. And without stabbing yourself with nail scissors.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
i'd make the holes bigger and stuff it with maggots so they push one another out.

Thats pretty much what i would do too. I usually cram maggots into feeders for exactly that reason summer or winter.

Closed forceps stuffed into the holes and then opened until they push agaisnt the edges and then twisted round can help to enlarge the holes.

mikench

Reaction score
Cheers Kev! Being a sucker for "gadgets" I had to have one of those!!!!i have used a knife blade in the past but that was an accident waiting to happen!

What other little gems do I need to spend my hard earned on???:rolleyes:

nottskev

Reaction score
Cheers Kev! Being a sucker for "gadgets" I had to have one of those!!!!i have used a knife blade in the past but that was an accident waiting to happen!

What other little gems do I need to spend my hard earned on???:rolleyes:

In case I lose the replacement too, I've ordered a Drennan John Roberts Feeder Hole Enlarger Finder.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Ohhh,dont,they come with a microchip fitted...