Treating myself for xmas

sam vimes

Reaction score
Try the Stradic Ci4+ RA. Light due to the Ci4+ material. Nice oversized spool with the ARC chamfered lip to improve casting distance. A bonus comes in the form of spool depth reducers that mean it doesn't take huge amounts of line. The spool on the 2500 model is actually bigger than many 3000 sized reels.

However, it might also be worth considering the rod you are using. Trying to cast small capacity floats with a strong or really fast actioned rod can be an issue. Light floats cast better with lighter and more through actioned rods. It's similar to a 3lb+ TC carp rod not casting very far with a 1-2oz lead. You simply can't load the blank properly for optimum casting distance.

John Keane

Reaction score
Yep, mine has an anti-reverse. It may have been out a few years but it’s still streets ahead of most Match reels.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Apologies for the duff gen, a senior moment, had a few of then this week.:eek:mg:

caught any mate

Reaction score
Thanks for help guys,the new aero arrived,and I have to be honest,its great.I followed advice from fellow FM members and folks from other fishing forums.Loaded it with 4lb maxima,walked out the line to get twist out.It's amazing how much more distance I can cast,even getting away with a lighter float......As I say to my wife,it's the little things that matter:).....Cheers all.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A m8 of mine has one of those reels and i'm positive his has no anti reverse on it.
Maybe they did two variations?
I remember his felt a little largw for my likeing. Personaly i'd prefer a stradic rear/fiighting drag, or front drag.

Keith M

Reaction score
Tigger I’m fairly sure that in Shimanos latest catalogue the new Stradics ‘front drag’ version doesn’t have an anti reverse either.

Keith

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tigger I’m fairly sure that in Shimanos latest catalogue the new Stradics ‘front drag’ version doesn’t have an anti reverse either.

Keith

Oh reet, wel it would have to be the rear drag them lol.
Failing that the daiwa TDR front drag :).

sam vimes

Reaction score
There are four different current Stradics. Two are front drag, FK and Ci4+FB, and two front drag, GTMRC and Ci4+RA. I know for a fact that the Ci4+FB does not have an anti-reverse switch. I know for a fact that both of the rear drag models do have anti-reverse switches. I don't know about the FK model, I've never even seen one. I would guess that it probably doesn't though.

bullet

Reaction score
I've got an fk 4000 and it has no anti reverse switch.

Reaction score
What I find frustrating is I've looked at some reels recently and because shimano and daiwa have different sized reels called 3000,or 4000 sizes I've been trying to find out actual spool diameters and stroke lengths,for me this is critical information,far more so than capacities as it affects casting,bedding and the actual memory of line on the spool,I couldn't find anything from daiwa on their website,garbage,seems a reel is a reel is a reel,well not to me!!!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What I find frustrating is I've looked at some reels recently and because shimano and daiwa have different sized reels called 3000,or 4000 sizes I've been trying to find out actual spool diameters and stroke lengths,for me this is critical information,far more so than capacities as it affects casting,bedding and the actual memory of line on the spool,I couldn't find anything from daiwa on their website,garbage,seems a reel is a reel is a reel,well not to me!!!

It’s unlikely your reel of choice will feature on the Art of Fishing website but it worth a gander, the majority of the rods and reels they have for sale have a very comprehensive dimension guide, not something I’ve ever seen on other websites. Here’s an example of their excellent work.

Shimano Stradic Ci4+ 4000 FB

Reaction score
Well Mike,the diameter not being too small stops coiling,the length of the spool(stroke as I called it)equates to less bedding,it would be even better if spools were relatively shallow,but as all reels are designed for the US market that isn't going to happen,unfortunately,lol.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Well Mike,the diameter not being too small stops coiling,the length of the spool(stroke as I called it)equates to less bedding,it would be even better if spools were relatively shallow,but as all reels are designed for the US market that isn't going to happen,unfortunately,lol.

If you can cope with rear drag, try the Stradic Ci4+ RA. It's got an oversized spool for the given size. Those spools also come with reducers and the oscillation is as long and slow as I've seen on a general coarse fishing reel. Line lay is excellent and, for someone that got used to the idea of front drag reels having a smoother drag, the drag is more than acceptable. They say a picture paints a thousand words. The spool on the left is from a venerable old original Japanese Stradic 4000 GTM. The middle one is a 2500 GT-RD. The right hand one is a 4000 Stradic Ci4+ 4000RA. You could get a Stradic Ci4+ 2500RA and it would be far smaller and lighter than an old Stradic 4000 GTM yet the spool would be bigger (but no stupidly high capacities).

20181205_174506.jpg

wetthrough

Reaction score
It’s unlikely your reel of choice will feature on the Art of Fishing website but it worth a gander, the majority of the rods and reels they have for sale have a very comprehensive dimension guide, not something I’ve ever seen on other websites.

I'd emailed him before you'd replied as the original page with all the reels had disappeared. He's just replied to me and the page is back up now. He's still got a bit of work to do but aims to get it finished tomorrow Match & Spinning Reels - FULL SPECS COMPARED!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Someone has put a great deal of time and effort into that!

john step

Reaction score
My sandwich maker has in fact treated me for Christmas. A new travel carp rod and a Shimano 6000. Lovely lady.