Treating myself for xmas

caught any mate

Reaction score
Hello everyone,I'm looking to treat myself to a new reel,most of my fishing revolves around the waggler,so I want a reel which will help cast a small float to a greater distance....Any recommendations .....Any budget,santa will look after me,{I hope}.

mikench

Reaction score
It's a reel! It has limited applications!:)

Have a look at the Stradic Ci14 range of rear drag reels with fighting drag !

sam vimes

Reaction score
Spool dimensions and line lay are the prime drivers when it comes to maximizing casting distances. However, line diameter is also a rather significant factor.

John Keane

Reaction score
No contest! Shimano Aero Match - a thing of beauty to own and use. Around £140 I think. Large dia. spool to help prevent loops, spool spacers to allow the use of finer lines if needed, oversize anti-kink roller. You can get it in a faster retrieve version for waggler fishing and the chamfered spool is perfect to prevent over-filling and throwing loops off.

I love mine!

caught any mate

Reaction score
Thanks,thats all i need to know.....I don't mind spending money,as long as I get my moneys worth.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No contest! Shimano Aero Match - a thing of beauty to own and use. Around £140 I think. Large dia. spool to help prevent loops, spool spacers to allow the use of finer lines if needed, oversize anti-kink roller. You can get it in a faster retrieve version for waggler fishing and the chamfered spool is perfect to prevent over-filling and throwing loops off.

I love mine!

I second that. Infact I just sold mine when the chance of a ci4 model came along.:)

Nearly all my Stillwater and river fishing is close in but starting sea fishing for bass this Summer has required casting long distances, the oversized spool on the Shimano certainly helps

Keith M

Reaction score

I love mine!

How many spare spools do you get with this reel John and do you know the price of spare spools?

I use lines of between 2lb and 5lb for my waggler fishing so would need to have around 4 spools in total; would the Aero Match cope OK with wagglers on 2lb main line?

NB: I do occasionally use a Shimano Stradic 4000 for my heavier waggler fishing and a Drennan FD3000 for my lighter waggler fishing but the Drennan reel causes me too many problems with throwing loops off on the cast.

Keith

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
You get a spare aluminium spool with the reel and the chamfer design means you won’t get caught out by the overfilled spool trap of the Drennan.

Reaction score
Not sure it's over filling on the Drennan,I believe the anti-twist roller doesn't work as the line works fine from new,but after twenty minutes it's like a lemming,throwing itself off in twisted loops,I've tried a half filled spool but it makes no difference,which is a shame really,as it's a nice reel apart from that,also after reverting to my older daiwa's,shimano's etc,the issue is solved,as for casting distances on a waggler op,how far do you want to cast,been casting to the far bank of the canal with 2bb floats since the mitchell and abu closed face days...

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Alan, I thought the action of the rod and casting technique would also help in casting a 2bb waggler to the far side of a canal. ? The reels I use are a Daiwa 1657 and an old Shimano Aero match, and Shimano Nasci and a 4000DL. Most canals around here vary between 10 metres and around 18 metres wide.

caught any mate

Reaction score
That's what i;m struggling with.I have the Drennan reels,for the price I paid I can't complain,it's just time to upgrade.I have tried several lines ,and different ways of loading the reels.but the coils of line coming off the spool is affecting my casting distance,forcing me into using a bigger float.......creating more disturbance on the cast etc etc.Thanks all,I appreciate the imput.

Reaction score
Alan, I thought the action of the rod and casting technique would also help in casting a 2bb waggler to the far side of a canal. ? The reels I use are a Daiwa 1657 and an old Shimano Aero match, and Shimano Nasci and a 4000DL. Most canals around here vary between 10 metres and around 18 metres wide.

Sorry Mark,of course rod action and technique help with casting,my point was however to the op,that imo 2bb is a light waggler and you can cast it a lot further than the far bank of the canal,in fairness if you need to cast further a heavier float is required,let's be honest,if it was blowing a hoolie then using a 2aa float on the canal(or anywhere else)is a must,not only to cast accurately,but to get a decent presentation,I have two Shimano aero match three reels,old as the hills,but there isn't any better reel for casting a waggler,similarly the old mitchell match,a garbage reel imo,but a fantastic shallow spool and brilliant for casting the waggler.

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
I’ve also got this older model Tica reel which has wide, shallow spools and is a lovely reel for waggler fishing. I use it when I’m after bigger specimens or using a pellet waggler. It casts beautifully. I think my local tackle shop still has supplies of them for around £30

Keith M

Reaction score
Also does the new Shimano Aero Match have an anti reverse lever? I know that a lot of Shimanos newer reels no longer have this facility for some reason.

Keith

sam vimes

Reaction score
Also does the new Shimano Aero Match have an anti reverse lever? I know that a lot of Shimanos newer reels no longer have this facility for some reason.

A. The Aero Match reel shown earlier in the thread isn't exactly new, it's probably getting on for three years or so since it was introduced. I believe that it may actually have been discontinued recently.

B. As far as I can remember, the Aero Match does indeed have an anti-reverse switch. Not all that many of the newer Shimano reels don't have the switch. All of the rear drag/rear drag with fightin' drag reels still have an anti-reverse switch. So far, it's just the out and out front drag spinning reels that have been affected by the change.

Last edited: