float fishing books

fozzer

Reaction score
hi I am looking for a book on float fishing, for both still and running water. can anyone recommend any books.
thanks

Reaction score
There are many,but most are old and therefore not in the swing of how shottings are today,but that isn't quite as important,as you can and should improvise shottings. But that said the shottings given will still catch fish,fish aren't always that clever,same as anglers really...:rolleyes:

nottskev

Reaction score
I bought the Jim Baxter after Flightliner recommended it, and it's a great book. With the back-stories based on the author's own experiences, and contributions from a range of match-fishing float experts, all the technical stuff about types of wagglers and ways to fish them is put in context, and the book is full of insight as well as how-to-do-it.

Another great book for insight, as well as covering stick and waggler, running water and stillwater fishing would be Kevin Ashurst's World Class Match Fishing. Out of print, of course, but there's a few on ebay

World Class Match Fishing ([Modern Angling Series]) by Ashurst, Kevin Hardback | eBay

Of the two, the Ashurst one, though less of a weighty tome, has a wider coverage, and it's easier to find sections on the type of floatfishing you might want to read about - light waggler, slider, stick, heavier river floats etc. If you've a thirst for detail and an interest in the ways waggler fishing has been developed, the Baxter book is unique.

john step

Reaction score
Try ENCYCLOPAEDIA OF FLOAT FISHING by Billy Lane. Several on the web.

Reaction score
As has been said,Billy Lane's 'Encyclopedia of float fishing',Ivan Marks did his book of float fishing I believe,Benny Ashurst,all good reads,with very few shotting patterns of floats that I use today,but all will catch fish on their day and are a good start point to mutate from,I think many of us could write a resume of the floats we use,shottings and the reasons why we use them,it's a minefield that needs to be fished through...

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
John Wilsons coarse fishing method manual.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Never seen that,so couldn't recommend that,these days your more liable to buy 'how to make a pole rig'.:rolleyes:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Never seen that,so couldn't recommend that,these days your more liable to buy 'how to make a pole rig'.:rolleyes:

Just click John Wilsons caorse fishing method manual into ebay and loads will pop up.
I don't think a lot of us need to read books for info to be honest but I like a nosey through this book. Check it out, it's not a small book and you can pick it up cheap for what it is!

The complete chub angler by kenneth seaman is a god little book also, he writes about trotting in there....also on evilbay.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Two other excellent books on float fishing that I have on my bookshelf are:

'FLOAT FISHING Tackle and techniques for still and running water' by Billy Lane
(From the Modern Angling Series 1976)
And
'FLOAT FISHING WITH IVAN MARKS' by Ivan Marks with John Goodwin. (Pelham Books 1978)

NB; The shotting patterns shown in these books are still as relevant today as they ever were, and one of the golden rules has always been 'never place a shot onto your line unless it has a specific job to do in that position'.

The only difference is that a lot of us (but not me) now enjoy fishing more heavily stocked waters for fish like carp and f1's on commercials and newer floats and float tactics have been specifically developed for these types of water and which don't seem to appear in these older books.

Keith

Last edited:

rob48

Reaction score
Neither are specific float fishing books but you can't fail to learn from Kim Milsom's "Match Fishing:A Champion's Guide"
and Ken Giles & Clive Smith's "Match Fishing Our Way".
I've never seen a better stick float angler than Clive.
As stated above Jim Baxter's waggler book is excellent.

Reaction score
NB; The shotting patterns shown in these books are still as relevant today as they ever were, and one of the golden rules has always been 'never place a shot onto your line unless it has a specific job to do in that position.

Keith[/QUOTE]

It's so long since I've read these books Keith that I'd forgotten that very useful bit of gen,excellent and I even wonder how many anglers on FM actually use that adage....

Reaction score
Neither are specific float fishing books but you can't fail to learn from Kim Milsom's "Match Fishing:A Champion's Guide"
and Ken Giles & Clive Smith's "Match Fishing Our Way".
I've never seen a better stick float angler than Clive.
As stated above Jim Baxter's waggler book is excellent.

I'd like to see the Kim Milsom book,as it may be more relevant for the OP,in a bit more more modern way...

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I didn't know he'd written a book - I always liked his articles, and I once found a very good canal tench video.

Cheapest copy, though, is £12.95, and it's only 128 pages..... Can you give me any idea why you rate it highly enough to mention it here?

Bookfinder - the link I posted - has copies from £6. Someone else asked about it. He packs a lot into those 128 pages. I think I paid a pound for my copy!

silvers

Reaction score
all those on my bookshelf have already been mentioned. I would add that only the billy lane and Ivan marks books concentrate on float fishing, whereas other authors include other tactics. Both of those encyclopaedias include a lot of float patterns that are not frequently found these days. Both Billy and Ivan were not afraid of a bit of lead either!

Like Nottskev, I would also recommend Kevin Ashurst’s book. All you need to know and no superfluous detail.

Kim Milsom’s book, for me, is as much about a positive and thinking approach as it is about techniques.

nottskev

Reaction score
Bookfinder - the link I posted - has copies from £6. Someone else asked about it. He packs a lot into those 128 pages. I think I paid a pound for my copy!

I paid a bit more! But I don't regret it. He covers a lot of the usual ground, but I agree he packs a lot in and I enjoyed the way he put his own thoughtful spin and angle on things, and I liked the back stories about particular experiences. I picked up the idea, through the press at the time, that he was very much his own man, and that comes across. Thanks for recommending.