Line for trotting

rob48

Reaction score
Ok thanks for that, where do you buy yours ?

Last time I bought some 500m spools of 2.0 and 2.5 lb from Terry Eustace's shop near Birmingham. That was a couple of years ago and they're keeping me going at the moment. Also use 3.2 and 4.4 for big waggler/sliders.
I think the shop's called Birmingham Angling Centre, or something like that.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Last time I bought some 500m spools of 2.0 and 2.5 lb from Terry Eustace's shop near Birmingham. That was a couple of years ago and they're keeping me going at the moment. Also use 3.2 and 4.4 for big waggler/sliders.
I think the shop's called Birmingham Angling Centre, or something like that.

Ok thaks Rob, I found it at a shop called rovers in bulk spool it looks a bit on the thick side!

barbelboi

Reaction score
I found it at a shop called rovers in bulk spool it looks a bit on the thick side!

Ian, my original post was tongue in cheek (as you know I use Drennan FF for trotting). However Pro Gold isn't a bad trotting line and what you have to consider is that the diameters quoted are overstated by at least 1mm (unlike many including S****s which understate by the same) and that it breaks at considerably more than the stated b/s. Therefore when requiring 10lb b/s for barbel snag fishing I use 8lb as the b/s is around 11.4lb.

Keith M

Reaction score
Ian, my original post was tongue in cheek (as you know I use Drennan FF for trotting). However Pro Gold isn't a bad trotting line and what you have to consider is that the diameters quoted are overstated by at least 1mm (unlike many including S****s which understate by the same) and that it breaks at considerably more than the stated b/s. Therefore when requiring 10lb b/s for barbel snag fishing I use 8lb as the b/s is around 11.4lb.

Ian, as you already know; I use the same lines as barbelboi (Drennan FF for trotting and Pro Gold for legering) and during the summer months I often go down to 6lb Pro Gold simply because I know its bs is so under-rated and more like 8lb-plus than 6lb; just like Sensor is under-rated.

Keith

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Drennan Float fish for me and it seems to work well enough although I would like to give the Dave Harrell line a try due to comments on here about it.

Reaction score
I don't know that much about it,but when I used drennan floatfish it seemed quite thick for its bs,I'm not sure any of them are perfect for the job,it's just a compromise.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't know that much about it,but when I used drennan floatfish it seemed quite thick for its bs,I'm not sure any of them are perfect for the job,it's just a compromise.

As you say, non of them are perfect, that's why I use the ones which I have found to be the best. Perlon is slightly thicker than sensor but doesn't tangle as easily and floats about the same, maybe not quite so good as sensor. When i've tested sensor and perlon for strength sensor was definately the stronger of the two. Both lines are far from perfect but they're the best i've found for my fishing.
People can keep slating my choice but how much trotting do most people actually do, and what kind of circumstances are they fishing in?
Float fish etc is probably fine for trotting off the end of your rod or a couple of lengths out and casting via loop cast or gentle casts.
Very often I put a lot of pressure on the line I use because I have to cast 20 plus yards to reach a glide and over the course of several hours fishing that alone is detremantal to the line. I see no sense in paying out daft prices for mono which can't stand up to the viguors of my style of fishing.

Last edited:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Surely not on the Thames Jim, take a week for the float to move 30yds.

Same as Sam, DH pro float... Wouldn't use float fish now at all and defintly not sensor, that can stay on the ledger rods

Hi Jason, no not the thames, I was on the Cherwell... 3o yards is almost certainly an overstatement of how far I was trotting tbh, I think the point is that it wasn't a massive amount of line I was letting go of on any one cast so even more frustrating to be getting all those tangles.

However the good news for us oxon anglers is that the river fished pretty well! I never connected with anything big, but I seemed to avoid all of the really small stuff too. Loads of really lovely dace, proper deep chested handfuls! And a couple of chub around the pound mark. Nice perch and roach in amongst. I might go back this weekend, I see a bit of rain has fallen and the river's up a bit, you never know - might be time for a b........ (I can't even say it!) :)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
As you say, non of them are perfect, that's why I use the ones which I have found to be the best. Perlon is slightly thicker than sensor but doesn't tangle as easily and floats about the same, maybe not quite so good as sensor. When i've tested sensor and perlon for strength sensor was definately the stronger of the two. Both lines are far from perfect but they're the best i've found for my fishing.
People can keep slating my choice but how much trotting do most people actually do, and what kind of circumstances are they fishing in?
Float fish etc is probably fine for trotting off the end of your rod or a couple of lengths out and casting via loop cast or gentle casts.
Very often I put a lot of pressure on the line I use because I have to cast 20 plus yards to reach a glide and over the course of several hours fishing that alone is detremantal to the line. I see no sense in paying out daft prices for mono which can't stand up to the viguors of my style of fishing.

I bought a few bulk spools of Sensor in a variety of breaking strains earlier in the season. I’ve had some good fish on it. I too have tried most lines in the past and it’s as good as most and a lot better than some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk