Line for trotting

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Hi folks

Sorry, I know this subject has been done to death before, however I just wanted to ask for a bit of input from all you trotting fans on what mainline you're using?

I had put some 6lb daiwa sensor on a pin, more of an experiment (and kind of because it was the only thing in the shed and I was going fishing the next day). Anyway, my fear for this line was that it would sink and mess up my float fishing.... however it really hasn't given me any problems there.

HOWEVER, it has been bloomin awful on the reel itself, forever looping and tangling, getting caught up on the reel in ways I really don't understand? Is this just because mono does this, or is it because I've loaded it badly or should be trying to get it under more or less tension when I'm reeling in? If I changed to something lighter, would it behave differently? 3 or 4 pound floatfish or bayer perlon for example? I'm absolutely convinced that the issues I had with the tangles caused me to lose fish yesterday, as on a number of casts my up-til-then perfect trot through would suddenly jerk to a halt or run off course because the line would no longer be peeling off smoothly.

I'm using a TF gear Classic with a line guard, I don't really cast far. Some of the trots yesterday were probably up to about 20 or 30 metres max, and most shorter.

cheers
Jim

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As you know Jim, I use sensor for the biggest part of my trotting. Despite what the haters say it does float well !
I think the problems you had are just run of the mill problems you can get with any line, including braid.
Try loading your line on quite firmly and if your only trotting those short'ish distances just put about 40 or 50 mtrs on. The less line on the reel the less likelyhood of line bedding. Remember to keep your line taught when spooling it on and make sure it doesn't go on loosely when you retreive after a trott.
Also, don't try to lay your line neatly across the drum, just let it go on as it wants to, which is usually in one spot in a heap lol.
That way it doesn't go back over itself.

Forgot to say, the lower diameter you use the more chance of line stick so you may be best to stick to 4 or 6lb mainline and if you want a lower diameter for presentation use a hooklength.

Last edited:

Reaction score
To add to ian's post,I feel that there are just days when everything goes wrong on the pin,at first I blamed the line,but more regularly my technique,but then the next time I fish i get an almost faultless day(but I still blame my poor casting)....

John Keane

Reaction score
I try to go for one of the proprietory “floating” lines like Drennan Floatfish or Bayer Perlon. I think it’s more important to try and keep as much of it as possible off the water, rather than rely on claims that it will float.

When you wind it onto your reel you could do so through a scrap of rag with a bit of Pledge furniture polish on it or use one of those impregnated dashboard shine cloths (I use them to clean and polish my floating salmon flylines)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Drennan FF (probably 80% of my fishing is trotting) - I've heard that Dave Harrell's Pro Float is good but have not tried it yet as I'm happy with what I use.

sam vimes

Reaction score
That's the rub with Sensor. I don't dislike it because it's a sinking line, I like a good sinking line for stillwater waggler fishing. I dislike it because I find that it's wiry horrible stuff that's prone to kinking and has horrendous memory. I've never been tempted to try it for trotting because I dislike it so much.

My go to mono for trotting was Ultima Flo-Cast for many years. It had its issues, but I liked it. Once that was discontinued, I tried a few alternatives. Braid was given a thorough go for quite some time, it has its merits, but it also has downsides compared to mono. I gave Silstar Matchteam, Drennan Floatfish and Kamasan Bayer Perlon a fair crack. All three were OK, but I'd have like a bit better. Since the release of Dave Harrell Pro Float, I only have it and braid on my trotting reels.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've never been tempted to try it for trotting because I dislike it so much.

I didn't realise you never tried it for trotting!.....give it a go you might have a pleasant surprise :).

sam vimes

Reaction score
I didn't realise you never tried it for trotting!.....give it a go you might have a pleasant surprise :).

Not a bloody chance. I can imagine that using it on a pin might negate some of my issues with it, but it'll still be wiry, prone to kinking and a sinking line (regardless of whether it'll sit in the surface film). The only thing I'll ever use sensor for is backing.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not a bloody chance. I can imagine that using it on a pin might negate some of my issues with it, but it'll still be wiry, prone to kinking and a sinking line (regardless of whether it'll sit in the surface film). The only thing I'll ever use sensor for is backing.

It can't be that bad Chris, I use it all the time as you know. If I could find anything to better it i'd use it. The next best line I can find is perlon.
I can't get sensor to sink unless I submerge my rod tip and wind in. Infact it's a pain in the harris when fishing still waters if there's any wind or tow as I have to sink it ever cast. I'm talking about line that's been on my reels for betwen 2 and 5yrs and used loads of times, so nothing to do with being new unused line and having grease on it.
Only yesterday I used it and it was great, it was great to wally cast accurate casts, it floated perfectly well and is spot on when mending it.
Seriously, for what it costs give it a go.....if you where nearer ii'd bring you a spool round lol.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It can't be that bad Chris, I use it all the time as you know. If I could find anything to better it i'd use it. The next best line I can find is perlon.
I can't get sensor to sink unless I submerge my rod tip and wind in. Infact it's a pain in the harris when fishing still waters if there's any wind or tow as I have to sink it ever cast. I'm talking about line that's been on my reels for betwen 2 and 5yrs and used loads of times, so nothing to do with being new unused line and having grease on it.
Only yesterday I used it and it was great, it was great to wally cast accurate casts, it floated perfectly well and is spot on when mending it.
Seriously, for what it costs give it a go.....if you where nearer ii'd bring you a spool round lol.

Ian, don't waste your time trying to persuade me. I have used Sensor, just not for trotting on a pin. If you gave me a spool it would only get used as backing. I don't think you realize quite how much some folks dislike Sensor. Sometimes I wish I didn't because, if nothing else, it's cheap. If I didn't genuinely dislike the stuff, I'd use it. However, as it stands, nothing short of Daiwa paying a decent amount per month and giving me a free supply could persuade me to use it for anything but backing. Even then, it would have to be a fair old wedge for me to tolerate using it, and I'd probably go fishing less because of it. Put it this way, as much as you love it, I dislike it. No amount of anyone singing its praises is going to change my mind. I've used it before, I don't like it, end of story. Good luck to you and those that do like it, but I will not be joining you. I certainly don't dislike it just to annoy you, and I'm not just saying I dislike it just for the hell of it.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ian, don't waste your time trying to persuade me. I have used Sensor, just not for trotting on a pin. If you gave me a spool it would only get used as backing. I don't think you realize quite how much some folks dislike Sensor. Sometimes I wish I didn't because, if nothing else, it's cheap. If I didn't genuinely dislike the stuff, I'd use it. However, as it stands, nothing short of Daiwa paying a decent amount per month and giving me a free supply could persuade me to use it for anything but backing. Even then, it would have to be a fair old wedge for me to tolerate using it, and I'd probably go fishing less because of it. Put it this way, as much as you love it, I dislike it. No amount of anyone singing its praises is going to change my mind. I've used it before, I don't like it, end of story. Good luck to you and those that do like it, but I will not be joining you. I certainly don't dislike it just to annoy you, and I'm not just saying I dislike it just for the hell of it.

Fair enough LOL.

Just had a thought, when we have a day next you can have a go with my rod "and line" and see how you find it :).

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
How can someone with such a good taste in rods have such a bad taste in line.............................;)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'll gladly have a dabble with a Tourny RS, but can I put my own reel on it?

No, no , you'll have to use the reel attatched and we'll see how you find the line casts, mends and tows fish back to hand :).

Keith M

Reaction score
Some anglers just don’t like Sensor and there’s nothing wrong in that at all, I’m not over keen on it either, other than the fact that it’s cheap and very reliable strength wise, but there’s a lot more to a line than just that and some anglers (myself included) have found other lines that are a little more supple, and which have all of the better characteristics of Sensor plus a little less memory and stretch and slightly better abrasion resistances.

My slight dislike of Sensor stems from its memory ie. the way it seems to coil and spring off the reel especially when Im casting longer distances, and the amount it seems to stretch when I’m using heavier leads at long range, which I think is an important factor when I’m trying to pull a hook home at range, sometimes through an in-line lead; and to a lesser degree the way it shines in certain light conditions, and Im not that keen on it’s colour either, but that is only a personal preference.

I don’t think that Sensor is a bad line because I know it isn’t; in fact I think it’s a very good line, especially if you use it mostly at closer ranges or like tigger for trotting on a centrepin; it’s just that I have found other lines that suit some of the ways I fish a little better, and I don’t mind paying through my nose for a line that crosses all my tick boxes.

I don’t have Sensor on any of my reels these days, not even on my centrepins.

Wouldn’t it be a boring place if everyone liked the same things?

Keith

Last edited:

silvers

Reaction score
Tigger ... do you use the brown ordinary sensor or the clear hyper sensor?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tigger ... do you use the brown ordinary sensor or the clear hyper sensor?

I use the ordinary brown stuff. It is quite a camo line in water and if you shine light on it it seems to be green! I very occassionally use ordinary clear sensor in 8lb on the centrepin but for the biggest part I use 4 and 6lb in brown.

I've never seen hyper sensor so can't comment on it. Have yoy used the Hyper sensor ?