New Float line. Short time reveiw

iain t

Reaction score
I say this is a short time review of 2 months but seeing as i fish 4 to 6 times a week it is probably for some a long time test. I only river fish when the season is open then have to put up with the ponds for the rest of the year.
I've used Drennan Float fish for years, new and old labels before that i used Perlon but am always on the lookout to find new float lines. By Float lines, i mean lines that are designed to float and not lines that can be made to float I tried Pro float when i first came out. Firstly because the name behind it and secondly because it comes in 300-meter spools. At first, i liked the feel of the line. It felt quite soft with just the right amount of stretch. But i found shot damaged the line too much and i found i got too many tangles.
I then found a spool of Tubertini Gorilla float line. This comes in 150 meters spools. I bought the line rated at 3.35Lb with a diameter of 0.128( I measured mine at 0.126 throughout the line) whilst on holiday in France. I paid 4.40E
Again as the others, just the right amount stretch with hardly any memory. It floats very well. It feels a little more supple than the other lines mentioned. The shot did not seem to damage it as bad as the Pro fish or the Drennan FF.
On Catching a 5Lb Sea Trout by mistake the line helped absorbed the lunges very well. On examining the line after the session i found no chinks, creases or overstretching along the line where the shot was attached. Even my badly tired knots stayed tight. I would put the line on par with Drennan FF but a bit stronger with the right amount stretch. Overall i have found the line very reliable. I may be using this line for quite a while.

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
Iain when you say right amount of stretch do you mean similar amount of stretch to float fish ?

iain t

Reaction score
Trotter2, Very similar to Float Fish. I forgot to mention i have found it has a better abrasion resistance than the others mentioned. I must say the rivers i fish has no large rocks being weedy and muddy in most places. After using it for 2 months the line still feels smooth through my fingers. I don't know what others do but i always wash the line and spool after every session in warm clean water to wash the dirt away. On this, i have also found the line collected less much. I think it is must have some sort of silicon coating on the outside of the line.