Fab roach fishing,empty banks

gugeonstalker

Reaction score
The river fishing on the Nene this summer and autumn has been brilliant near Thrapston , big Chub , loads of massive perch ,I have had two at three and a half pounds and loads two pounds plus . and wonderful roach fishing . Do I have to get up at the crack of dawn and pray i will get a good swim ! no I have the river literally to myself . A few other guys Ralph and Jimmy I see occasionally and the thing we have in common is a love of fishing natural venues and we are all over sixty years old and daft enough to still be fishing all weather all year .
Is this typical ?

nottskev

Reaction score
Typical the river banks are empty? Probably true in most places. Typical that the fishing is brilliant? Very much depends where you are. If it wasn't 75 miles away you could add one more to the anglers on the river.

flightliner

Reaction score
Same up here on the Trent GS. Find a guy fishing with float gear for silvers is a pretty rare thing these days.
Most prefer the two /three rod approach for Barbel.

daniel121

Reaction score
Unfortunately it's totally normal mate and has been for some time now. The rivers are definitely back but the fishermen aren't

barbelboi

Reaction score
My fishing buddy and I only live some 12 miles from Thrapston but have so much free and club water on 'our doorstep' have yet to try that stretch (don't you have to pay?). As you say the local river/stream fishing is very good and have very rarely seen another angler on the bank since moving from the Colne Valley some three and a bit years ago.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I most times have my local stretch of the Great Stour running through Canterbury to myself, good chub but the roach are scarce.

silvers

Reaction score
Most places that I go, the chub are rare (but big to huge when they are seen) - but roach are plentiful.
Bigger problem is water clarity means that roach often only feed in short bursts or late in the day.
I match fish - so when I go I do see plenty of others.

Thrapston was one of my regular haunts 30 years ago - used to do well there .... in those days 8 pounds of smaller roach would be a frame result in the opens.

iain t

Reaction score
On the banks most mornings at 4 AM. I can long Trott a line and never worry about affecting anyone else The only company i have are the Cows to talk too. I might see another angler arriving about 11ish is am lucky. Although my club has some good river sections on it's cards most members fish our stillwaters.

nottskev

Reaction score
On the banks most mornings at 4 AM. I can long Trott a line and never worry about affecting anyone else The only company i have are the Cows to talk too. I might see another angler arriving about 11ish is am lucky. Although my club has some good river sections on it's cards most members fish our stillwaters.

I wish I could get myself up so early! But how do you see your float for the first 3 hours or so?

xenon

Reaction score
My local streches of the Thames (Shepperton, Hampton, Laleham etc.) are more or less completely deserted. Occassionally see a few lads bivvied up for carp but have the place to myself during the day.

gugeonstalker

Reaction score
My fishing buddy and I only live some 12 miles from Thrapston but have so much free and club water on 'our doorstep' have yet to try that stretch (don't you have to pay?). As you say the local river/stream fishing is very good and have very rarely seen another angler on the bank since moving from the Colne Valley some three and a bit years ago.

I do pay to fish ,its on the grange fisheries ticket ,I have an annual membership which gives me a good bit of river and three lakes but there are free stretches of river .Day ticket where i favor fishing up stream of the bridge at Islip is a fiver on the bank if not a member .

gugeonstalker

Reaction score
I talk to my dog who sits between my legs looking into the keepnet hidden from passer byes, so I look like a
nutter talking to himself .

gugeonstalker

Reaction score
It would seem fishing for general coarse fish is a bit out of fashion , shame I have had brilliant days fishing catching a mixed bag on the rivers lately ,and its that dip of the float ,the lift in and that solid thunk that sets the heart racing as you realize you now have your work cut out on a pound and a half bottom and a twenty hook . Its interesting to watch videos of top match anglers who when not carp laying .(its like brick laying but with carp ) and are fishing rivers or natural lakes then catch a big roach or perch or bream react . You can see the thrill they feel and the excitement is tangible, as they reverently handle the fish . so its still there that schoolboy thrill of the catch .

peterjg

Reaction score
Very often when fishing the Kennet or K&A canal I can walk miles and not see another angler.