Use of Keep Nets?

peterjg

Reaction score
Mikench, re your last post. Roach can definitely speak and are highly intelligent. However bream are really thick - along with golfers, canoeists, towpath cyclists, horse riders and pole anglers!

mikench

Reaction score
I am inclined to agree with you as I catch my fair share of bream!! On further réflection this year has yielded far more roach and carp and nearly as many tench! Maybe bream are not that daft!!:)

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I was always taught to put fish back well away from your swim by my Dad. I do this all the time especially large fish like chub/bream/barbel etc and even smaller fish most times unless I am catching one a minute. I walk at least 20-30 yds maybe more. I dont know if it makes a difference but it does make sense to me . In my minds eye the fish doesn't just bolt straight back into a shoal frightening them but makes it way back slowly. Or it could have been one of the old boys myths, he had loads of them.
One being, never put your keep net in the water until you caught your first fish, that was very bad luck, perhaps that's were your all going wrong, has that been entered into your equations.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam is ambivalent without empirical proof! Well empirical or not there is no proof and unlikely to ever be !

For every angler that says they give no advantage, you can wheel out one that says they do. Neither can offer any genuine proof, regardless of what they actually catch. I know full well that you can rarely prove anything in fishing. Plenty of bait companies rely entirely on that for their existence. The discussions about various baits or coloured baits are enough to prove that there is no proof. I, and plenty of local river anglers, will choose bronze maggots over all others. Others will swear blind that reds, or whites, are the best. It's exactly the same scenario that can't be proved either way

I'm not particularly ambivalent about the use of keepnets. I choose not to use them myself. However, I can accept that there may be some situations that there use can be of benefit to the angler. I refuse to resort to castigating those that make the opposite choice, even if their only reason for using one is to see what they've ended up catching.

I really do not understand the road that UK coarse angling is going down with regards to fish welfare. People will get upset if a mat isn't used, or if the mat isn't big enough. If we keep this up, people will end up carrying mats the size of single beds, just in case. Some get antsy when people don't carry some fishy antiseptic, despite there being no proof that they even work. The use of keepnets is patently abhorrent to some. All of these things conveniently gloss over the fact that we've just stuck a hook in a fishy mouth and dragged it out of the water. In the seemingly desparate rush for some to prove that they care about fish more than others, I can't help but wonder why some are still fishing if they really care that much.

mikench

Reaction score
It isn't just angling either Sam! The world is mad!

Increasingly the vociferous minority view takes precedence over more rational views and opinions!

They shall not prevail! On the angling perspective if one wants the little fishes to be totally unaffected by fishing take up golf or knitting!

rayner

Reaction score
I don't use a keep net.
No need for me to say why, it's far more entertaining reading this thread and the other one on keepnets rather than contribute :laugh:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It isn't just angling either Sam! The world is mad!

Increasingly the vociferous minority view takes precedence over more rational views and opinions!

They shall not prevail! On the angling perspective if one wants the little fishes to be totally unaffected by fishing take up golf or knitting!

That's fair enough Mike but as with shooting, you try to keep your target species in as good condition as possible so that you have good sport.
If the target species isn't in good fettle then your sport will suffer for it.
I hate catching fish with damaged mouths, split fins and missing scales and that is why I fish places where there are no keepnets and places that are little fished in comparison to most.
From my point of view, not retaining fish in nets is purely to keep them looking and fighting at their best.

Regarding damage done by nets, when you get your aquarium set up and you pick out some immaculate fish which are then netted and put in the bag for transport, there will be a high chance that those imaculate fish have split fins when you release them into your aquarium ;).

By the way my friend has all the fluval flex range of tanks set up for viewing, some of the flex fronted ones are set up with plants and fish etc :).

peterjg

Reaction score
Tigger, thank you for your post - but no I have to draw the line somewhere, I refuse to take a fish tank fishing with me to put my catch in .....

Philip

Reaction score
That's fair enough Mike but as with shooting, you try to keep your target species in as good condition as possible so that you have good sport.
If the target species isn't in good fettle then your sport will suffer for it.
I hate catching fish with damaged mouths, split fins and missing scales and that is why I fish places where there are no keepnets and places that are little fished in comparison to most.
From my point of view, not retaining fish in nets is purely to keep them looking and fighting at their best.

I literally had to read that 3 times to believe it.

Now lets remind people what you said you would do with the fish you catch that are NOT your target species such as Wels.

You said you would club it and chuck it up the bank to rot ! And dont try and justify your actions with Wels being an invasive species. 130 years at least they have already been here. Do you club every Carp on the head ? Would you club every Zander on the head for also being "invasive" ?

I'm sure they will all be kept looking good and fighting fit rotting in the bushes.

What a joke !

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
I don’t like using keepnets myself and the only times that I ever use a keepnet is if I am fishing in a match (which isn’t very often these days).

Most anglers will just not believe in fish being able to communicate danger to the rest of a shoal; However there is a chemical alarm that fish do emit called ‘Schreckstoff’ which can be emitted when fish become alarmed which is often washed downstream before a fish can even rejoin a shoal; however it is still present so shouldn’t be ignored as there are times when this could make a real difference to an anglers catch when a fish does rejoin their shoal immediately after release.

Quote from Wikipedia ref: The transmission of the fright chemical ‘schreckstoff’ which is transmitted by about 64% of all freshwater fish and transmits fright to other fish in the fishes vicinity:

Chemical alarm systems have been identified in a number of different taxa, including gastropods,[SUP][2][/SUP]echinoderms,[SUP][3][/SUP]amphibians[SUP][4][/SUP]and fishes. One of the most well-studied chemical alarm signals is schreckstoff, the use of which is widespread in the superorder Ostariophysi (e.g., minnows, characins, catfishes, etc.). About 64% of all freshwater fish species and 27% of all fish species worldwide are found in the ostariophysan superorder, which highlights the widespread use and importance of this chemical alarm system in fishes.[SUP][5][/SUP]

Having said that there’s a water not far from Reading where one of the Embassy challenge matches used to be fished, and where in a Barnet AC match I’ve caught around 40lb plus of smallish Tench and Rudd from right under my keepnet, and where if you were to cast further out your catch rate would be reduced dramatically; so either Tench and Rudd don’t transmit the fright chemical there or they were not that fussed about being caught on that particular water.:)

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I hate Wels catfish and they are an invasive species that should not be here! I know nothing about Zander and do not regard them in the same light is they are not likely to cause as much damage to fish stocks as a catfish! Carp are not carnivores and have been here for centuries so no comparison!

I would do the same as Tigger and on a few waters I know, I would receive a commendation for doing so. At certain stages in our evolutionary history we have had wolves, bison, Lynx bear and beaver! We have not had Wels catfish! If you released any of the animals I quoted in the wild you would be arrested! Well you would if you were above the age of criminal responsibility !

Isn't this post about keep nets? I apologise for the digression!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I literally had to read that 3 times to believe it.

Now lets remind people what you said you would do with the fish you catch that are NOT your target species such as Wels.

You said you would club it and chuck it up the bank to rot ! And dont try and justify your actions with Wels being an invasive species. 130 years at least they have already been here. Do you club every Carp on the head ? Would you club every Zander on the head for also being "invasive" ?

I'm sure they will all be kept looking good and fighting fit rotting in the bushes.

What a joke !

After reading that post i'm quite certain you are rabbit of old and philip is just another guise of Neil smart, mainstream etc, etc, the list is endless!
Rabbit, get a life man, your a joke. You don't even go fishing but thrive on causing arguuments on the forums.
You really do have a mental health issue....

Molehill

Reaction score
I don't own a keepnet, as a kid we all had them and used them as a matter of course, for me that must have ended early 70s.

Larger species I prefer to unhook in the landing net and not remove from water, where this is practical and efficient. Smaller species are unhooked and straight back in, I have never noticed it makes any difference to my fishing and a keepnet is only another bit of kit to carry a mile up the river, no thanks!

I doubt modern keepnet do much harm to fish if used correctly, taking into account water depth, flow, temperature, oxygen levels, angling pressure and more. Which is the problem, what is the ratio between responsible anglers (who can judge and say no) and "others", overall maybe 10% against 90%?

Reminds me of my fish farming days, carting rainbow trout around the country in a tank, cramped in the tank for hours I could get them feeding on pellet in the tank, or chuck them in a lake and they would grab a fly 2 minutes later. I doubt releasing fish immediately is detrimental to sport.