Mono line floatants.....

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
With the style of fishing I'm doing at the present time I have need to keep my 2lb bs Maxima mono line absolutely on the surface, particularly when fishing up to 3/4 rod lengths out. At the moment I'm using some vintage Mucilin floatant that has been in the bag for ever, and this works okay even if I need to reapply during a session.
I haven't experienced any problems on the strike but it's getting near the point where I need to either buy the same again, or go for whatever might be 'better'.

Does anyone have any first hand experience on line floatants - maybe a liquid alternative for mono??

A bit quite on FM so I thought I'd pose the question!

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
He's been Tony,silicon based polish,spray it on the spool and allow to dry...

Ffs,my tablet keeps correcting incorrectly,it was meant to read Mr.Sheen.

iain t

Reaction score
My little tub of Mucilin red must be over 5 years old and still works. Been using Mucilin for over 45 years. There are sprays out there and even furniture spray that contains silicon that work. but I've always gone back to Mucilin

kenpm

Reaction score
Good old Vaseline works well if you dont want to fork out for an aerosol spray which also work but still need to be re applied during a session.

Philip

Reaction score
I till have a tub of Eddie Turners line grease for keeping lines afloat for drifter float fishing...goodness knows how old that must be now ...it did work a treat. However any of the suggestions above sound good to me.

Have you considered swapping from Maxima ? I am surprised no one has mentioned that yet.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I did think about changing lines Philip and asking advice on alternatives, but do we REALLY need yet another 'which line is best' thread this close to Christmas which is all about good will to all men.......I jest!

Perhaps Mucilin is still the best option. It has no smell at all (unlike polishes etc.) and does a job, but I will look at fly line floatants and maybe get an opinion from a fly fisherman...

Thanks for all the replies, though..

ps I have always worked on the basis that Maxima is a reasonably good floating line anyway, but maybe I'm wrong on that??
Perlon also good?

Any thoughts, anyone?

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Greased Lightning from Kryston works well - good for trotting and allowing the line to go through the rods rings easily.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have always worked on the basis that Maxima is a reasonably good floating line anyway, but maybe I'm wrong on that??

I know that there's more than the odd angler using Maxima for top and bottom float fishing. However, as far as I'm concerned, Maxima is the best sinking line I've ever encountered.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying Sam, but in my experience Maxima seems to float quite well. I will qualify that by saying the breaking strain(s) I use most of the time don't exceed 3lbs and mainly 2lbs, so the likely hood is the very light line sits on the surface film (or some such)? (That's a question). Either way, it doesn't just sink!

I don't have centrepins with different lines (floating and sinking) to use anyway (I can also change from top & bottom float fishing to bottom only a couple of times in a session) so I settled on Maxima years ago as a good all round line and its reliability is well proven. I should also say much of my float fishing is carried out close in, so having the line in sink or float mode just comes down to a quick dip of the rod tip (or not). In addition, I can also go from close in to 2/3 rods lengths out, and any distance in between, in half a dozen casts, so the greased line has to deal with all scenarios.

(Note! Remember, I'm talking of 'flat float' fishing in this instance, where the line is 'mended' at any distance on the cast to bring it straight (and occasionally again if it starts to drift) and although it goes against the theory that a bait such as maggots should remain stationary (generally speaking) in still water, I'm taking plenty of fish when the bait has finished dropping to its 2/3' depth and it has been in the water several minutes, sometimes drifting considerably. Occasionally the float trembles before going away, but many times it races away as a fish (possibly) dives at the (moving) bait. Using this method has been a revelation these past weeks in terms of catch improvement. You really have to be there.........)

Okay, I've related all of this to you to show just cause for using Maxima, BUT I'm always interested in trying something 'better', so if you (or anyone else for that matter!) would like to suggest alternatives I'll happily consider them!! I'm NOT fixated on the stuff...

In the meantime, it's 2lb Maxima with an added floatant if necessary (to perhaps help the 'lift' off the water on the strike) - and reduce the number of misses!

All help appreciated..

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've found perlon floats ok and you can get it in the lower B/S.

wetthrough

Reaction score
I've been using 4lb Drennan Supplex nylon on the 100M spools (not the same line as the 50M spools) the last few times I've been out fishing the waggler and found it harder to sink than other lines I've used. It will sink you just have to put a bit more effort in. It's also thinner than 3lb Chameleon which actually measures 0.173, stronger in relation to its diameter and less likely in bench testing to break along its length. It's a little bit stretchier than Chameleon though which might not suit you. It's a very slippy line which might help it peel off a pin but it does make it a bit fussy about knots in the higher breaking strains.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying Sam, but in my experience Maxima seems to float quite well. I will qualify that by saying the breaking strain(s) I use most of the time don't exceed 3lbs and mainly 2lbs, so the likely hood is the very light line sits on the surface film (or some such)? (That's a question). Either way, it doesn't just sink!

As I said, there are plenty of folks that do use Maxima for "floating" line applications, but that doesn't necessarily equate to genuine floating and bouyancy. By similar logic, steel floats. After all, we've all seen plenty of huge ships made entirely of the stuff.

Almost any line can sit in the surface tension of water and appear to float. Very few are heavy enough to break through it of their own accord. For that reason, almost any line can appear to "float", regardless of whether they are genuine floating lines or not. Adding some kind of floatant only makes breaking through surface tension even more difficult. Ultimately, if you are happy with your line of choice, for whatever aplication, stick with it. I love Maxima, but won't use it for floating line applications. As you have felt the need to treat Maxima, and are asking about alternative preparations, it does suggest that you aren't entirely happy with it for floating line applications.

Personally, I can't be bothered trying to persuade a floating line to sink or a snkingline to float. I generally want the best genuine floating lines and the best sinkers. To my mind, you should probably looking for a neutrally bouyant line with other characteristics similar to Maxima. As my preferences are either end of the spectrum, I can't really help with those in the middle.

iain t

Reaction score
Perhaps Mucilin is still the best option. It has no smell at all (unlike polishes etc.) and does a job, but I will look at fly line floatants and maybe get an opinion from a fly fisherman.../QUOTE]

Mucilin is made for fly line but float anglers found it works with mono line just as well

John Keane

Reaction score
Pledge furniture polish on a cloth or one of those silicone shine dashboard wipes will do the job. If you aren’t casting far just tie your reel line to a fence, walk 20 yards of it off, wipe down with either of the above and wind it back on.

daniel121

Reaction score
Tee

I feel exactly the same as you regarding maxima, I have used it in lower breakstrains for many many years, personally the only time I have problems with it sinking too far for the stick is after I have used it with washing up liquid for another purpose.

I don't have any issues with it, I've had debates with others about this I think it's all personal to the individual.

OP

To me you don't need to reinvent the wheel with expensive products (fishing is expensive enough mate), some grease, good old petroleum jelly whatever really to make it float, the fish don't care :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Spot on Daniel....My reason for posting in the first place was to discover what else had come onto the market since Mucilin.

Lots of alternatives (such as yours) but at the end of the day the 'original' is as probably just as good as anything else. I think I will resurrect the remains of my ageing tub of the stuff (which is in need of a clean) but if past it I will splash the cash and buy new..

I can spend with the best of them!!

Thanks for all the suggestions which I hope have helped others as well.....

John Keane

Reaction score
Only disadvantage to Vaseline or Mucilin is that it rubs off on your rod rings and renders trying to use a sinking line on the same rod rather annoying. The advantage of polish or wipes is that they dry on the line.