Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mono line floatants.....

With the style of fishing I'm doing at the present time I have need to keep my 2lb bs Maxima mono line absolutely on the surface, particularly when fishing up to 3/4 rod lengths out. At the moment I'm using some vintage Mucilin floatant that has been in the bag for ever, and this works okay even if I need to reapply during a session.
    I haven't experienced any problems on the strike but it's getting near the point where I need to either buy the same again, or go for whatever might be 'better'.

Does anyone have any first hand experience on line floatants - maybe a liquid alternative for mono??

A bit quite on FM so I thought I'd pose the question!

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Cool Re: Mono line floatants.....

He's been Tony,silicon based polish,spray it on the spool and allow to dry...

Ffs,my tablet keeps correcting incorrectly,it was meant to read Mr.Sheen.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mono line floatants.....

Sprays are made to help fly lines to float, perhaps one of those would help.

My little tub of Mucilin red must be over 5 years old and still works. Been using Mucilin for over 45 years. There are sprays out there and even furniture spray that contains silicon that work. but I've always gone back to Mucilin

Good old Vaseline works well if you dont want to fork out for an aerosol spray which also work but still need to be re applied during a session.

I till have a tub of Eddie Turners line grease for keeping lines afloat for drifter float fishing...goodness knows how old that must be now ...it did work a treat. However any of the suggestions above sound good to me.

Have you considered swapping from Maxima ? I am surprised no one has mentioned that yet.

I did think about changing lines Philip and asking advice on alternatives, but do we REALLY need yet another 'which line is best' thread this close to Christmas which is all about good will to all men.......I jest!

Perhaps Mucilin is still the best option. It has no smell at all (unlike polishes etc.) and does a job, but I will look at fly line floatants and maybe get an opinion from a fly fisherman...

Thanks for all the replies, though..

ps I have always worked on the basis that Maxima is a reasonably good floating line anyway, but maybe I'm wrong on that??
    Perlon also good?

Any thoughts, anyone?

Greased Lightning from Kryston works well - good for trotting and allowing the line to go through the rods rings easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Tee-Cee View Post
    I have always worked on the basis that Maxima is a reasonably good floating line anyway, but maybe I'm wrong on that??
    I know that there's more than the odd angler using Maxima for top and bottom float fishing. However, as far as I'm concerned, Maxima is the best sinking line I've ever encountered.

I hear what you're saying Sam, but in my experience Maxima seems to float quite well. I will qualify that by saying the breaking strain(s) I use most of the time don't exceed 3lbs and mainly 2lbs, so the likely hood is the very light line sits on the surface film (or some such)? (That's a question). Either way, it doesn't just sink!

I don't have centrepins with different lines (floating and sinking) to use anyway (I can also change from top & bottom float fishing to bottom only a couple of times in a session) so I settled on Maxima years ago as a good all round line and its reliability is well proven. I should also say much of my float fishing is carried out close in, so having the line in sink or float mode just comes down to a quick dip of the rod tip (or not). In addition, I can also go from close in to 2/3 rods lengths out, and any distance in between, in half a dozen casts, so the greased line has to deal with all scenarios.

(Note! Remember, I'm talking of 'flat float' fishing in this instance, where the line is 'mended' at any distance on the cast to bring it straight (and occasionally again if it starts to drift) and although it goes against the theory that a bait such as maggots should remain stationary (generally speaking) in still water, I'm taking plenty of fish when the bait has finished dropping to its 2/3' depth and it has been in the water several minutes, sometimes drifting considerably. Occasionally the float trembles before going away, but many times it races away as a fish (possibly) dives at the (moving) bait. Using this method has been a revelation these past weeks in terms of catch improvement. You really have to be there.........)

Okay, I've related all of this to you to show just cause for using Maxima, BUT I'm always interested in trying something 'better', so if you (or anyone else for that matter!) would like to suggest alternatives I'll happily consider them!! I'm NOT fixated on the stuff...

In the meantime, it's 2lb Maxima with an added floatant if necessary (to perhaps help the 'lift' off the water on the strike) - and reduce the number of misses!

All help appreciated..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast