The First Swimfeeder?

barbelboi

Reaction score
“If you will bait a stream, get some tin boxes made full of holes, no bigger than just fit for a worm to creep through; then fill these boxes with them, and having fastened a plummet to sink them, cast them into the stream with a string tied there to, that you may draw them forth when you list. By the smallness of the holes aforesaid, the worms can crawl out but very leisurely, and as they crawl the fish will resort about them”.

Nicholas Cox, The Gentleman’s Recreation...... Collected from Ancient and Modern Authors (1674)

nottskev

Reaction score
“If you will bait a stream, get some tin boxes made full of holes, no bigger than just fit for a worm to creep through; then fill these boxes with them, and having fastened a plummet to sink them, cast them into the stream with a string tied there to, that you may draw them forth when you list. By the smallness of the holes aforesaid, the worms can crawl out but very leisurely, and as they crawl the fish will resort about them”.

Nicholas Cox, The Gentleman’s Recreation...... Collected from Ancient and Modern Authors (1674)

An elegant bit of writing there. I like that "resort about" especially.

xenon

Reaction score
I recall reading some victorian author (bazeley?) talking about pre baiting barbel swims with clay balls packed with lobworms?

wetthrough

Reaction score
Re: 'The First Swimfeeder?

Intriguing as you'd presumably have to be fairly wealthy to have even had a tin box in 1674 and it would likely have been hand forged Tin as opposed to Tin plated steel. The first cold rolling mill of any size for steel wasn't until 1682. Then you punch your expensive tin box full of holes and chuck it in the river:eek:mg:

Reaction score
Re: 'The First Swimfeeder?

I reckon Jerry is on his third bottle of Jack Daniels...

barbelboi

Reaction score
Don't be daft Allan, haven't finished the second one yet - besides I've only been up a couple of hours.....................

daniel121

Reaction score
Interesting artical, regarding wealth and fishing in 1600's I'd guess to have any spare time back then at all to spend on a pastime you would have to be very rich? Back then the wealthy owned almost all the wealth and passed very little down.

On the topic of swim feeders the first one I saw was made out of a woman's hair curler with a bit of old lead pipe wrapped on it and some old pike line. It was then filled with groundbait then years later they became available everywhere.

flightliner

Reaction score
Yes Mick, we thought we were innovators in the 50's until we later found out that many others were doing it as well - sneaky bu99ers.......................:)
Agree Jerry, never mind tho, they've helped me no end over the years with some great catches of fish of most all species.

daniel121

Reaction score
Yes Mick, we thought we were innovators in the 50's until we later found out that many others were doing it as well - sneaky bu99ers.......................:)

Anit that the truth, I remember fishing a few secret methods/baits over the years thinking nobody will ever think of this.... Wrong :eek:mg:lol

bennygesserit

Reaction score

And Thus Korda was born

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“bait the hook well, this fish will bite".

Much Ado About Nothing.

The Shakespeare brand was born.