Shakespeare Tackle

mikench

Reaction score
I enquiried with Cadence Uk about a 2000 size reel available in the US but not the UK. This was reviewed very favourably by a mate from the US and recommended to me! I received a really nice email from James Robbins telling me about proposed extensions to the range of tackle and implying that he thought there were some samples of the reel in question in the office and he would send me one! He never did! I like James Robbins and I am not put out at all by the fact that I didn't hear further from him and certainly did not expect to receive a free reel!:)

Reaction score
But to be impolite,he shouldn't open his gob then eh,sounds like a person in the house of commons,ooops,they'll close the thread lol...

kenpm

Reaction score
Shakespeare started with cheap gear in the 1970s progressed to top quality gear in the 1980s with the imput of various consultants then gradually regressed to the point where they brought out some reasonable mid price gear like Mach 111 rods and reels but are now mostly budget range rods and reels etc. in the £10 to £25 range.
The various owners of the Pure Fishing group which includes Hardys,Greys,Chub,Penn,Berkeley, Abu,Mitchell,JRC. and a few others have dabbled with each of the brands they owned and spoilt all of them to bring costs and selling prices down to the level they are now.
The fact that there have been three owners in 5 or 6 years especially the last lot Newell Brands has meant that the brands have suffered further with little investment and no innovation and people like James Robbins leaving the company.
The latest owners a private equity group Sycamore Partners are paying $1.3 Billion this month for the group which was above market valuation based on results so hopefully they will provide the funds for the group to return to the top of the market again.....we will have to wait and see.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wasn't that Ryobi Ian???

Mike, that wasn't good customer service from a company what "supposedly" prides itself on customer service.
I had no intensions of buying anything feom cadance anyhow, just don't like the look of their gear but after hearing the ignorant way you have been treated I one hundred percent wouldn't touch their kit with a very long roach pole .......and not one of their roach poles either LOL :).

Yeah alan, I think it was Ryobi masterline but sincw then i'm sure they sold it on again to I think was shimano but Renpm may seems to have info on it.

rob48

Reaction score
Regarding Cadence customer service: I broke the softest (0.25 oz) tip of my wand while on holiday early October. On my return I ordered a replacement which arrived next day. Unfortunately they sent the wrong (0.5 oz) tip so I mailed James through their website and the correct tip arrived the next day. I contacted him again about making a payment for the second tip and he generously suggested I hang on to it as a spare FOC.
Subsequent to this I was looking for a stright lead/light feeder rod, next stage up from the wand for dealing with slightly heavier winter flow, and he made a recommendation based on my requirements and usual venues. When I was about to place the order James suggested I waited until the end of the week (black friday) as they would be chucking in a free reel as part of their promotion. This I obviously did and can say that the rod's perfect for the needs I outlined to him and the reel is superb, especially for free.
If all customers were treated as "ignorantly" as this through customer service I'd suggest the world of retail would be a somewhat happier place.
Therre seems to have been a pattern regarding Cadence since its emergence whereby its most vociferous critics have never actually used, in some cases never even seen, any of their products.
Quite perplexing.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Is it completely seperate though, I mean doesn't purefishing (which is an american company) own both cadence and shakespear?
They scooped up Hardys also if you remember. I've no idea what other names they bought, no doubt they have got others also.

Who was it that scooped up the normark name?

I can find no evidence at all that Cadence UK, Cadence USA, or the umbrella company that owns the Cadence brand, have any link to either Pure Fishing, or the American umbrella company that owns Pure Fishing.

The Normark brand was first bought by Masterline. They sold it to Shimano UK who then became Shimano Normark UK.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Regarding Cadence customer service: I broke the softest (0.25 oz) tip of my wand while on holiday early October. On my return I ordered a replacement which arrived next day. Unfortunately they sent the wrong (0.5 oz) tip so I mailed James through their website and the correct tip arrived the next day. I contacted him again about making a payment for the second tip and he generously suggested I hang on to it as a spare FOC.
Subsequent to this I was looking for a stright lead/light feeder rod, next stage up from the wand for dealing with slightly heavier winter flow, and he made a recommendation based on my requirements and usual venues. When I was about to place the order James suggested I waited until the end of the week (black friday) as they would be chucking in a free reel as part of their promotion. This I obviously did and can say that the rod's perfect for the needs I outlined to him and the reel is superb, especially for free.
If all customers were treated as "ignorantly" as this through customer service I'd suggest the world of retail would be a somewhat happier place.
Therre seems to have been a pattern regarding Cadence since its emergence whereby its most vociferous critics have never actually used, in some cases never even seen, any of their products.
Quite perplexing.

Well Mike made an enquiry and wasn't exactly treated as a potential customer should be.

You seem very protective of cadence tackle...are you something to do with them or just a devoted buyer of their gear?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can find no evidence at all that Cadence UK, Cadence USA, or the umbrella company that owns the Cadence brand, have any link to either Pure Fishing, or the American umbrella company that owns Pure Fishing.

The Normark brand was first bought by Masterline. They sold it to Shimano UK who then became Shimano Normark UK.

Maybe i've put two and two together and come up with the wrong figure, still not convinced though ;).

rob48

Reaction score
Well Mike made an enquiry and wasn't exactly treated as a potential customer should be.

You seem very protective of cadence tackle...are you something to do with them or just a devoted buyer of their gear?

I'm absolutely nothing to do with cadence tackle, or any other tackle.I'm just an objective purchaser of multiple tackle manufacturers products, and only opine on personal or reliably trusted, experience.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I feel like putting my twopence-worth in. A couple of posters contact Cadence; one might be a bit disappointed not to get a freebie that was mentioned or implied as he puts it, but was generally pleased with his encounter; another seems delighted. Sounds good to me. Just to give a bit of perspective, I've been using Shimano products for donkeys' years, and they are very good - but you don't get anywhere near the company or its personnel if you wanted to make a personal request or complaint. There is simply no means. When I had a faulty reel ( and it was a fault in design, not production - an anti-reverse switch too small and buried to be used) I resorted in the end to the service dept at Felindre, who after I'd had a bit of er discussion with people who clearly weren't set up to field complaints, said, when they'd contacted Shimano, I could take it back to the retailer for a refund. As far as Shimano were concerned, I got the impression that the UK, never mind the individual angler, was not even on their map. Given the friendly and personal treatment reported here, I'm not inclined to think it shows Cadence and James Robbins in a bad light - quite the reverse. I've got none of their gear - but I'm well stocked with tackle, otherwise I'd be happy to consider it.

silvers

Reaction score
And we all know that Tigger has a mahoosive ship on the shoulder about
Jamie Robbins
Cadence tackle
Match fishermen

Although not necessarily in that order :wh

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And we all know that Tigger has a mahoosive ship on the shoulder about
Jamie Robbins
Cadence tackle
Match fishermen

Although not necessarily in that order :wh

Oh, hows that then?

silvers

Reaction score
Constant negative comments and insinuations from a position of zero knowledge.

Bit like current state of British politics.

flightliner

Reaction score
I wanted to reply earlier about Cadence but needed to go down to a local res to check out the weigh in of a match where Cadence sponsored angler Steve Whitfield was competing in.
I asked him if Jamie Robbins still had connection with Shakespeare , apparently not.
Steve by the way went on to win the match with 13-13 of Bream, roach, Perch and skimmers.
If you want to see both him and Jamie Robbins check out "Feeder fishing masterclass" on u tube where Robbins chats to Steve on the same res I visited today.
Steve btw has had a lot of input in Cadence's currant range of rods.
An extremely good angler but with the guys he fished against he well needs to be !
Rayner-- check out the vids!!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Constant negative comments and insinuations from a position of zero knowledge.

Bit like current state of British politics.

What negative comments, is being curious wether a new name is part of a bigger company a negative comment or insinuation?

If your gonn'a make comparisons with politics then your talking how the lefty harris holes do when lying about a certain right winger!

You've made up insinuations about me and posted them as though they're fact, when in reality you have zero knowlage of what I think of Robins, cadance or ewt else :eek:mg:.

rob48

Reaction score
Other than you don't like the look of it and wouldn't touch it with a very long roach pole, you're quite correct.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Other than you don't like the look of it and wouldn't touch it with a very long roach pole, you're quite correct.

I wouldn't and anglers like yourself who try pushing a product down other peoples necks won't exactly encourage others to purchase the stuff.
I mean, wtf are you, are you a top angler, for all I know you might have trouble catching a cold so why would I or anyone else with half a brain cell take the blind bit of notice of you.

rob48

Reaction score
So we have more than zero knowledge of what you think of cadence, wouldn't you agree?