Drennan acolyte ultra

graham65

Reaction score
i have just spoken to a friend who was toying with the idea of purchasing a acolyte but was not sure after hearing that they were a little fragile. anyway he took the plunge, and has just informed me that it snapped on it's second outing...he's not very happy

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i have just spoken to a friend who was toying with the idea of purchasing a acolyte but was not sure after hearing that they were a little fragile. anyway he took the plunge, and has just informed me that it snapped on it's second outing...he's not very happy

Narrh......

mikench

Reaction score
A new rod will have a 12 month warranty so he is protected! He can either request a new rod, his money back or a replacement section! This presupposes the breakage is not due to mishandling or other abuse!

graham65

Reaction score
he said he has lost all confidence in it and is not prepared to lose another days fishing because of a broken rod....he said he is looking for something else

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
he said he has lost all confidence in it and is not prepared to lose another days fishing because of a broken rod....he said he is looking for something else

All sounds a bit "fishy" to me!

Non one would just leave it at that if a new rod snapped off for nowt.

trotter2

Reaction score
If anyone has a 15ft ultra to despose of drop me a pm please.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why not? Chuck it away and buy something else.
I would if I'd lost confidence in it..

If it's new you'd at least get it repaired for free and sell it on or demand a refund of which you are entitled to!
That is why I think this thread is bullshine.

I really don't beleive anywhere near as many of the acolytes being reported as broken have broke because of a flaw in the rod. Many people will be breaking them through an accident etc and just jumping on the band wagon and then slagging off the rods.

Personally I have no use for a ultra but if I did want a rod specifically to target smaller to good sized medium fish I would have no hesitation in buying one regardless of all these reports of breakages.

At the end of the day acolytes have been out for a number of years now and drennan would have sorted out any faults in the blanks long since.

silvers

Reaction score
I was also very inclined to think that the problems with snapolytes :wh were exaggeration and inflation - and they've undoubtedly been very popular. However, whilst I've not even held one, other than in a tackle shop - I've now met 4 separate open match anglers who have abandoned Acolytes due to more than 1 breakage each. By the same token I know several who are very happy with theirs. Maybe they are just too delicate for some people? In the same way that I wouldn't put a flagship long pole in the hands of a beginner ... but an experienced angler can fish for double figure carp with one.

My only direct experience was with the pole rather than the rod .... when the pole first came out I was drawn next to a Drennan Leicester angler on the Soar in the winter. He was plumbing up with his brand new pole, when the 5 section folded (oops!). Having no spare, he had to fish all match at top 4 to hand.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
If it's new you'd at least get it repaired for free and sell it on or demand a refund of which you are entitled to!
That is why I think this thread is bullshine.

Seeing it was a friend of Graham's who broke the rod we have no idea what he intends to do with it?
He may not be bothered to go through the hassle of getting a new tip for it and then sell it? Or indeed claim a refund?
He may just bin it and buy something better?
We don't know do we?
So why is it bullshine?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Seeing it was a friend of Graham's who broke the rod we have no idea what he intends to do with it?
He may not be bothered to go through the hassle of getting a new tip for it and then sell it? Or indeed claim a refund?
He may just bin it and buy something better?
We don't know do we?
So why is it bullshine?

It's bullshine because I don't beleive anyone would just wazz a new rod when a simple return would get their rod replaced, repaired or their money back......unless they where dripping with money and are prepeared just just loose it.

What would you do ?.....just throw your coin away?

Karlinho

Reaction score
20181226_131344.jpg
Used my Acolyte Ultra Compact för the first time two days ago. No problems bringing a few decent chub to the bank.
Great rod!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
But nobody said he was going to wazz it?
Nobody said he wasn't going to claim a refund or get a new tip section and sell it?
We don't know do we?
So why is it bullshine?

Keith M

Reaction score
Although I am willing to give my Ultra another chance; just incase it was just a fluke when mine split lengthwise, or an unnoticed accident that caused it; I have still lost all of my confidence in it; and I will always be having to take a spare float rod with me just in case of a repeat occurance.

I only wish that I had bought a ‘Plus’ instead of an ‘Ultra’.

Keith

Last edited:

rob48

Reaction score
I wonder the probabilities of one particular item of fishing tackle proving irresistible to so many clumsy and ham-fisted anglers?
One for the academics I suppose.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Although I am willing to give my Ultra another chance; just incase it was just a fluke when mine split lengthwise, or an unnoticed accident that caused it; I have still lost all of my confidence in it; and I will always be having to take a spare float rod with me just in case of a repeat occurance.

I only wish that I had bought a ‘Plus’ instead of an ‘Ultra’.

Keith

Keith, sell it and get a plus :).

browndog

Reaction score
Is there any word from Drennan about the breakage rate? or any tackle dealers with their return rate.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Is there any word from Drennan about the breakage rate? or any tackle dealers with their return rate.

Don't hold your breath for anything from Drennan in this regard, but you'll not hear such information from any brand.

You might get a little more out of a tackle shop you know well. Two of my locals have suggested nothing out of the ordinary considering the amount sold. One has a fairly dim view of Acolytes because he managed to break one. However, he still stocks them and will take them as trade ins. The other has had a few returns but most have been confessed as being operator error.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I asked a couple of shops myself and they where people I actually knew so weren't lying to me. They said pretty much the same as Chris was told....no different to any other rods sold. One of them told me usually people came in to order a new section and the break was from standing on the rod etc etc.