Drennan acolyte ultra

Jbangling

Reaction score
Thinking of investing in one of these beauty’s for my roach fishing any reviews people?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can't comment on the ultra as i've only waggled them.
I can comment on the plus's though as I have some and have used them a lot. Imo the plus rods are the best float rod in the shops today and the only rod I prefer is out of production now.
I've caught lots of smaller fish with my plus rods and lots of decent sized fish also, so the rods are very versatile. Personally i'd get the plus model even if targeting roach but others will have a differing opinion.

shane99

Reaction score
Yes another for the plus, I did wonder how light is the ultra as the plus isnt exactly what you would call a big big fish rod.

Saying that the plus replaced my old IM9 classic where the extra power came into play roughly half way down the blank so probably the same with the plus over the ultra.

Interested in other peoples perception of that.

Reaction score
Jb,I would suggest putting a search on acolyte threads,then you will see the relevance of flightliner's(Mick's)post,the debate goes on on acolytes which must have cost Drennan a few sales I would have thought...

Keith M

Reaction score
I have the 13ft Ultra but I only wish I had bought the slightly stepped up version; the Plus; instead.

My Ultra is the first float rod in around 60 years that I’ve had to treat with ‘Ultra’ soft kid gloves as I’m already onto my second tip section and new tip sections are currently over £60 each.

So think hard before you decide, and if you are prepared to use kid gloves with it then the Ultra is a lovely rod.

Keith

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
There's no doubt in my mind that the Acolyte Plus is the right choice for anyone wanting a single float rod to cover as many bases as possible. However, if you want a rod for lighter lines and specifically targeting the smaller species of fish, the Acolyte Ultra may make more sense.

I have both Ultras and Pluses in a few different lengths. When I'm fishing for grayling or dace on the upper reaches of my local rivers, the Ultras tend to get used. However, it's relatively rare for anything I might hook to exceed 3lb or so. On different rivers, where the chances of bigger barbel or chub are greater, I may be inclined to choose a Plus.

Philip

Reaction score
I have both Ultras and Pluses in a few different lengths

Hmmm, sorry just to be clear...do you mean separate rods at different legnths or the same rod that just got progressivly shorter as the tip snapped ? :p:)

..joke...

sam vimes

Reaction score
Hmmm, sorry just to be clear...do you mean separate rods at different legnths or the same rod that just got progressivly shorter as the tip snapped ? :p:)

..joke...

I think you were reasonably safe without the addendum.;)
However, for those in any doubt, every Acolyte I've ever bought is the same length it started out. Amongst the horde, there are Pluses and Ultras in both 13 and 15'. Even the 15' Ultra, the model that started the breakages bandwaggon rolling, is undamaged. It also happens to be the first Acolyte I bought and sees far more use than any other.

Buying rods to see exactly what they are like for myself is a terribly expensive affliction, but I do rather enjoy it. I had my doubts with the Acolytes and didn't buy one for quite a while after the initial release. The fact that I've not stopped buying them since might tell its own story. You win some and lose some buying to try properly. I can still find little to get particularly excited about with the much vaunted Tri-Cast John Allertons. Others, Like the Acolytes, have worked out much better.

Philip

Reaction score
I think you were reasonably safe without the addendum.

I would agree but experience tells me its best to errr on the safe side nowadays !!!!:)

In the extremely remote event that I did ever get a acolyte it would have to be the Plus. The remoteness of the event being defined as me finding a new one of 14+foot at < £100

In a way I hope I never do as I would probably treat it nicely for like 2 trips but then it would get bunged (ok placed) in the boot or on the passenger seat nude & made up like all the others and have to survive or be consigned to the bin….& loads of my rods have survived years of this so its not an impossible ask just a practical one but I have serious doubts any Acolyte will pass the test.

Shame as they do sound like quite nice rods to fish with.

Reaction score
Not to start it all rolling again,but I cannot remember a rod where I didn't think it would handle a big fish if hooked,in my match fishing days on the canals on squatt or caster,I often hooked crazy carp up to double figures whilst after roach,gudgeon,perch etc,ok often these were lost,but not usually as soon as they were hooked,but after they'd been charging around a bit,didn't sit there worried I was going to snap them....

sam vimes

Reaction score
Not to start it all rolling again,but I cannot remember a rod where I didn't think it would handle a big fish if hooked,in my match fishing days on the canals on squatt or caster,I often hooked crazy carp up to double figures whilst after roach,gudgeon,perch etc,ok often these were lost,but not usually as soon as they were hooked,but after they'd been charging around a bit,didn't sit there worried I was going to snap them....

For me, there's no question whatsoever that the Acolytes, even the Ultras, will handle good fish without snapping, mine have. I'm not remotely concerned about snapping the rods, no matter what I hook. All my comments are about is what the rods are best suited for, not the upper limits of their capabilities. It's pointless getting an Ultra if you are fishing a bit heavier, for bigger fish, when the Plus exists. It's simply about using the best tool for the job in hand. The Ultra is a light action, light line rod for smaller fish. It's a bit like comparing a Normark Microlite to a Titan. The Microlite is considered to be a silvers rod, no hint of it snapping if something bigger comes along, but that's what it's best suited for. Most people wouldn't use one if deliberately targeting bigger fish though.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

No worries about the accy plus snapping off, and I don't mean just giving a bit of welly either. I've posted many times how i've been in a possition where the fish can't be given any line once hooked and i've had to play them off the stretch of the line and the rod. Obviously they have been bent alarmingly since the fish where good sized barbel but they didn't break.
At the end of the day there is gonn'a be a point where they will snap off if no line is given so you just gott'a play the fish accordingly as you would with any other rod.
I know a few people who have had barbel with their ultras without a hint of a problem. I myself have had them easily enough (in a swim where I can allow them to run a bit) when using light float rods.
Perrsonaly I would opt for the plus rods as I want an all rounder float rod but as Chris says, if your targetting smaller fish then you might get a bit more fun with the ultra.

Reaction score
In addition to Chris and Ian's posts above I think it is probably a good idea to say that it is ok to target bigger fish with lines pretty well matching the rods quoted ratings,I have fished maggot on 3lbs bs on commercials deliberately targeting carp,barbel and chub of good sizes on my titan 2000's and they are still going strong,I'd like to think the Ultra would manage the same,it not,it's garbage imv.

mikexx

Reaction score
Over the past few years, I’ve been extremely interested in people’s experiences with this specific brand of rod.Everyone would appear to have their own take on the subject of Acolyte Ultra’s strengths or failings. I would hazard a guess that this will continue now the mould has been cast,and as more Angler’s join the debate.

I have had the 13ft Ultra for three seasons now,and have enjoyed using it, mainly for silvers which it appears to have been designed for. I have however, hooked several carp(8/9)lbs, quite a few hard fighting tench, and sometimes bream whilst using it.Obviously this has tested the rod in a manner that it was intended to, but with a little patience( and perhaps huge doses of good luck) I’ve maaged to land them without any signs of distress from the rod. So, so far, so good.
In the last year I have added the 13ft plus to my float rod range, and probably use this when fishing the previously mentioned waters, but in no way have I lost believe in the Ultra. I would not hesitate to press it into action if and when required in similar circumstances.And yes, I would buy another one, if I could see my time again.
Finally, others will have different stories, different experiences to relate. Dare I say the Ultra is becoming a little like Marmite.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I often hooked crazy carp up to double figures whilst after roach,gudgeon,perch etc,ok often these were lost,but not usually as soon as they were hooked,but after they'd been charging around a bit,didn't sit there worried I was going to snap them....

I've had quite a few carp to mid doubles on the 14' Ultra on 3.2 mainline and 2lb hook length to an '18' whilst crucian fishing over the last three years Alan. Only lost one on a hook pull and the rod has behaved with impeccable manners..............
23may17-15.7.jpg

mikexx

Reaction score
Over the past few years, I’ve been extremely interested in people’s experiences with this specific brand of rod.Everyone would appear to have their own take on the subject of Acolyte Ultra’s strengths or failings. I would hazard a guess that this will continue now the mould has been cast,and as more Angler’s join the debate.

I have had the 13ft Ultra for three seasons now,and have enjoyed using it, mainly for silvers which it appears to have been designed for. I have however, hooked several carp(8/9)lbs, quite a few hard fighting tench, and sometimes bream whilst using it.Obviously this has tested the rod in a manner that it was intended to, but with a little patience( and perhaps huge doses of good luck) I’ve maaged to land them without any signs of distress from the rod. So, so far, so good.
In the last year I have added the 13ft plus to my float rod range, and probably use this when fishing the previously mentioned waters, but in no way have I lost believe in the Ultra. I would not hesitate to press it into action if and when required in similar circumstances.And yes, I would buy another one, if I could see my time again.
Finally, others will have different stories, different experiences to relate. Dare I say the Ultra is becoming a little like Marmite.

Apologies for the school boy error- I meant to type:this has tested the rod in manner that it as NOT intended to.
Apologies to all.

Keith M

Reaction score
Although I had only used my Ultra a few times before the tip section decided to disintegrate, I had managed to accidentally hook and land a nice Barbel using 3lb mainline once (see pic below) when I was fishing for Roach and Dace, but I played it with great care and I was using a recommended line strength for the rod and the rod seemed fine, and on future dates I used it on a couple of other fishing sessions after Roach Dace Rudd and Crucians without any problems at all, but for some reason on another outing it just decided to disintegrated when I was threading line through its rings.

Maybe my son or my wife may had accidentally damaged it while wading through my tackle while it was in my outhouse; I don’t know; they certainly denied it; but I was very surprised angry and upset when it did happen :Cry: especially as I had only used it a handful of times and it had spent most of the year just sitting on a rod rack.

Keith

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
My observation after watching someone using an Acolyte Ultra was that there are far better roach rods out there, maybe not as light to hold but nicer to use. It partly depends on the type of fishing envisaged - an ideal stick float rod may perform less well for light line stillwater waggler fishing, and someone wanting to trot with big floats will have another take on it - certainly a case of removing the blinkers and looking at other options which of those on the market today include but not confined to Cadence, Tricast, Maver, Colmic, Browning and Daiwa. I've had double-figure carp on several different match rods, with carp to 23lbs, on 2lb line so given favourable circumstances not much of a test.

A few manufacturers are finally realising that the standard 18mm diameter reel fittings are uncomfortable to hold and making modifications but the development work I've done with Gordon this year has proved fruitful and I find the rods I use far better than most obtainable off the shelf.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The only float rod I have that i'm not as keen on the reel seat is the tricast John Allerton waggler rod and that's because it has a screw up reel holder, other than that the rods fine. The length of it's handle is the shortest of all my float rods and it's actually my preferred length.
The acolytes have a very comfortable grip and reel holder, along with all the other float rods I have. Their handle is a nice length also but just a smidge longer than the tricast rod. The rods with handles longer than I like are the drennan super tench and the im8 specimen float but that's easily sorted due them having sliding rings to secure the reel in place.