Pacy water

Saluki

Reaction score
My local river in the past week has risen and has become much more pacy. I only found out today when I got to the bank to link ledger. My 2oz tip was in full bend once the my three swan shots settled. I can’t cast under trees as the current moves my bait away from it. I’m fishing for chub but today struggled with my quiver tip. I’m going back latert to fish for a couple hours into darkness.

Any advice here please? More shot on the link ledger, use a small bomb maybe? I don’t have a 3oz tip or I would try that. I do like the link ledger method and have caught most of my chub on this, this season.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Without knowing what and where you are fishing,width and depth of the venue,there are several options.

Saluki

Reaction score
The river is not wide at all, fairly deep in places but averages around 8ft. It’s now moderately fast.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cast upstream, you don't need anything like the amount of weight to hold bottom.

Reaction score
Rod up in the air,cast upstream,feed a bow and await the drop backs...

nottskev

Reaction score
It won't always be true, but a 2 oz tip is not a bad "pressure gauge" for a chub swim. If I find I can't get away with a two oz tip in a swim on a smallish river, I tend to assume it won't be a great chub swim, as the lazy chub will have moved to somewhere where it's less effort to keep station, especially in winter. Try looking for swims on your side of the river where a 2oz tip seems about right.

Keith M

Reaction score
I tend to use a small flat lead (either a quarter or half ounce) on my link leger if I’m trying to stop it from being dragged downstream on a small river (see pic) as it seems to hug bottom a little easier than a few swanshot.

If this is not enough then I’ll resort to fishing upstream with a bow in my line and start looking for drop backs.

Keith

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Maybe you dont need to hold in the flow at all, just let a light small lead find its own place to settle, after all thats were any food will go too. When I link ledger for Chub I rarely use more than 1/4oz and more usually 1/8oz leads and just bounce or swing them under near bank features.

Reaction score
That is true if rivers have depth on the nearside and cover,many waters in my area dont,in fact many have little cover at all.

Saluki

Reaction score
Thank you all for your advice and tips. It’s all noted and tomorrow I shall put this into practice. I’ll update you all. Once again, thank you all.

Philip

Reaction score
Good luck...let us know how you get on

Last edited:

xenon

Reaction score
How do these manifest themselves Keith?

The tip should have a slight bend in it (sam as if you were ledgring downstream) , bites showing as the tip springs back as the bait is dislodged. The trick is to calibrate the weight so it just holds station and will therefore move easily when mr. chub shows up.

bracket

Reaction score
The tip should have a slight bend in it (sam as if you were ledgring downstream) , bites showing as the tip springs back as the bait is dislodged. The trick is to calibrate the weight so it just holds station and will therefore move easily when mr. chub shows up.

I used this method every time I feeder fished the Trent. Being in a match, casting upstream was not permitted. The technique was initially to cast in front of you with the rod high in the air and tighten down to the feeder, then add or remove lead until the feeder just moved. To get this fine adjustment we would use eighth and quarter ounce strap leads on the feeder. Once you had got the setting right the rod rest was reset slightly down stream, the feeder cast out, when it settled, about a metre or so of line, dependant on the current, was payed out. With the rod held high and pointing in this down stream position, the feeder would hold. The current picked up the slack line and tightened to put a curve in the tip. Bites would be positive drop backs. The advantage over the "tight up" situation was that when you saw the bite, the fish had well and truly "gobbed it" as opposed to who's the "fastest on the draw" tight set up. It was particularly successful for the Trent skimmers back in the 1970/80s, when the "tight up" guys were forever complaining about missed bites. Pete.

Last edited: