Best Lubricant for Centrepin?

peterjg

Reaction score
My centrepins are well overdue for a service. I normally use either automatic transmission fluid or sewing machine oil. Any better alternatives? Thanks in advance.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Right or wrong, I have only ever used the very light 3 in 1 oil for my c'pins and it has always been adequate. I only use a minimal amount and only then on the spindle. I clean my pins very regularly and if I see any discolourationof the oil I remove it and reapply. Regards the ratchet mechanism; I very minimally wipe over (not actually oil) this area from time to time, but as i say I DO clean regularly so dust/grit adhereing to any oil deposit unlikely...

Some might suggest this not the best way, but it has served me well for 60 years and more on my pins, so unless someone comes up with a better method I will stick with it..............................Cleanliness is key, in my opinion.

Whatever, my reels spin sweet as a nut!

Reaction score
I use air tool oil which is similar in quality to sewing machine oil,I acquired this shortly before retiring(above board)which is recommended for lubricating pins,3 in 1 is slightly too thick,but let's be honest it is better than most or no oil at all.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Singer sewing machine oil , stick with that and your reels will be fine.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Singer sewing machine oil on the true pins. Nothing at all on the bearing reels. I just keep them clean and dry.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Singer sewing machine oil on the true pins. Nothing at all on the bearing reels. I just keep them clean and dry.

To be honest Chris I always put it on my ball race reels and it did slow them down if I poured it in. I used to wipe off the excess and then they spun like they where battery powered. That went for them all except the kingpin reels we both got. Although even they spin like topps if I only add a small drop or two.

iain t

Reaction score
With all my pins they are cleaned with lighter fuel then lubed up with a drop or two of sewing machine oil. Bearing wise i do not oil them as Abec bearing i have fitted are sealed. Too much oil or grease will only attrack dirt and slow the reel down.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Too much oil or grease will only attrack dirt and slow the reel down.

It hasn't done so with mine and it won't because I always clean my reels after use and I don't get them dirty when using them. I don't even need to try not to get them dirty as the bait I use is usually always maggots and corn and if I have bits stuck on my hands I swill them off in the water or wipe them claen with a cloth.....I hate to have dirty hands when fishing, I find it uncomfortable.

iain t

Reaction score
You'll be surprised the microparticles that can get on to the workings of a reel. This comes from the dirt on the line, hand grease and the environment your in. Remembering not everyone cleans their reels after every use.
I always carry wet wipes and a towel cause like you i like clean hands.

dave m

Reaction score
Id agree that sewing machine oil is the way to go.
I didnt have any to hand when i got my new pin stripped to remove the swarfy bits so i improvised and used some 3 in 1 spray oil, sprayed into a small bottle top and added using a tooth pick to prevent overspray.
Its a very thin light oil and works well enough.

Keith M

Reaction score
I find a light application of sewing machine oil is fine for me.

I think I remember Keith Speer mentioning (on the club forum) that he sometimes used sewing machine oil mixed with a little powdered graphite (from a pencil).

After reading Keith’s post on the clubs forum I did a search on the web and I found out that they often use graphite powder mixed with a light oil in industry on bearings, because it reduces the friction and wear on them.

So I might try this someday.

Keith

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
Many thanks for your suggestions. I have just cleaned all the gunk and ground bait off of my Aerials and serviced them. They now spin like tops!

John Keane

Reaction score
GT85 is a superb thin lubricant that comes in an aerosol like WD40 and also has a straw nozzle. I have it for bikes, locks, hinges, etc so I just use it on reels when needed. It loosened up my old Trudex a treat.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
GT85 is a superb thin lubricant that comes in an aerosol like WD40 and also has a straw nozzle. I have it for bikes, locks, hinges, etc so I just use it on reels when needed. It loosened up my old Trudex a treat.

I wouldn't use gt85 on a centrepin reel despite having a number of tins of it.
If you where lucky enough to get a pin from Chris Lythe and you used gt85 or wd40 on it ypur warranty would be none existant.
Just stick to sewing machine oil and your reels will be fine.

John Keane

Reaction score
I wouldn't use gt85 on a centrepin reel despite having a number of tins of it.
If you where lucky enough to get a pin from Chris Lythe and you used gt85 or wd40 on it ypur warranty would be none existant.
Just stick to sewing machine oil and your reels will be fine.

Since I am never likely to own a Chris Lythe ‘pin then GT85 will be fine. Where did WD40 come into it (apart from my mentioning it had a straw nozzle)? That’s a moisture dispersant not a lubricant.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Since I am never likely to own a Chris Lythe ‘pin then GT85 will be fine. Where did WD40 come into it (apart from my mentioning it had a straw nozzle)? That’s a moisture dispersant not a lubricant.

Wd40 is supposed to be both a moisture dispersant and a lubricant also. It's also a penetrating oil for freeing off rusted on or tight nuts etc.
I wouldn't use either of them on my centrepins.
Give youngs a ring and ask them what to use on their reels, if you have the instructions with your reel and read it you'll find it says use sewing machine oil.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score

Humm GT85 WD40 both are good for loosening things off then both need to be cleand off and replaced with proper light oil . In my daily job both GT85 & WD40 cause me no end of problems they both go very sticky and glue things together both are responsible for Mortice locks that will not unlock because the WD40 or GT85 has glued the levers together making it almost impossible to turn the key

PS they both honk as well ..

PG ...

John Keane

Reaction score
Humm GT85 WD40 both are good for loosening things off then both need to be cleand off and replaced with proper light oil . In my daily job both GT85 & WD40 cause me no end of problems they both go very sticky and glue things together both are responsible for Mortice locks that will not unlock because the WD40 or GT85 has glued the levers together making it almost impossible to turn the key

PS they both honk as well ..

PG ...

Yes WD40 is a water dispersant and penetrating agent but GT85 is not the same stuff, it is a penetrating oil but it’s a proper lubricant and I use it in outdoor padlocks, rusty shed hinges and on bike chains, gears and bearings and have no issues with it at all.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Yes WD40 is a water dispersant and penetrating agent but GT85 is not the same stuff, it is a penetrating oil but it’s a proper lubricant and I use it in outdoor padlocks, rusty shed hinges and on bike chains, gears and bearings and have no issues with it at all.

Cant agree there i have found GT85 just as bad as WD40 but each to their own :)
PG ...

dalesman

Reaction score
Cleaned with a lint free cloth damped with petrol and apply Singer sewing machine oil.

3 in 1 is to heavy as a lubricant for a pin