Otters in Bedford...

Reaction score
Myself as the family went for our Boxing day walk,today we decided on along the river at Bedford,well,we had walked on the path between the river and the boating lake when I spotted a few people gathered at the boathouse end,when we got there and looked in at the corner there were three otters porpoising and catching small roach in around fifteen inches of water,totally oblivious to the thirty or so people(some with dogs)watching,amazed,one particular animal came within six feet of us two or three times...As I say amazing as it was around 1.30pm.

Phil Adams

Reaction score
Myself as the family went for our Boxing day walk,today we decided on along the river at Bedford,well,we had walked on the path between the river and the boating lake when I spotted a few people gathered at the boathouse end,when we got there and looked in at the corner there were three otters porpoising and catching small roach in around fifteen inches of water,totally oblivious to the thirty or so people(some with dogs)watching,amazed,one particular animal came within six feet of us two or three times...As I say amazing as it was around 1.30pm.

Hiya. Was this around the Priory marina area? I have heard of sightings but never witnessed anything myself. A few fellow dog walkers have told me of sightings around the Kempston section of the Ouse too

flightliner

Reaction score
I've seen loads of mink but hand on heart I don't think for the life of me Have I seen an otter on a water that I fish-- I must be lucky maybe from an angling point of view?

Reaction score
Hi Mick,this is about three quarters of a mile nearer the town centre as the crow flies,very busy with walkers and as far as angling goes I caught 11 bream,31 half tidy roach,a perch and a small chub,I had a female otter come through four times,twice she stopped and looked at me,but she didn't fish near me at all,I would imagine it's the same female as from the three by the boating lake as it's within 300yds,I've seen otters at least three times when I fished in Bedford in different areas...

silvers

Reaction score
I've seen loads of mink but hand on heart I don't think for the life of me Have I seen an otter on a water that I fish-- I must be lucky maybe from an angling point of view?

I’ve only seen four over the years ... one last year at Kempston (just upstream of Bedford) .... and a smallish one last Sunday on the Warks Avon. my first was donkeys years ago in the 80s on the Great Ouse above Felmersham, when a big dog otter swam under my rod whilst I was laid on the bank legering. The fourth was about 5 years ago on Sharnbrook pits (right next to the river) when an otter popped head and shoulders out for what seemed an age whilst I was swing tipping ... less than 5 yards away.

Still doesn’t top the seal that I was the first to spot on opening weekend at Kempston over a decade ago .... just look how far from the wash Bedford is!

Last edited:

Reaction score
Alex,you know that in the areas around Kempston,Radwell,Sharnbrook and Felmersham are in most parts rural,the area around the boating lake in Bedford is surrounded by housing,I would say on a quiet day 15-30 people a minute walk past,some with dogs off the lead,if you want to see an otter with a reasonable chance of success that's the place to go,as for you only seeing four,wow,I've seen ten this year,now a few of these are probably the same animal,now as I rarely fish in darkness(only in my October break),usually between 8 & 9.30am,one things for sure,there isn't a shortage...;)

silvers

Reaction score
Hi Alan,

I agree that it is surprising to see them in such an urban and busy environment. Given that I fish many other places, the fact that i’v only previously seen them in the Ouse valley must mean that there’s a high density of them there.
I posted more in surprise that flightliner hadn’t seeen any, given that I only fish 20-30 times a year and mostly in matches with consequent disturbance.
At Kempston tomorrow (brrrrrr) so May see another!

Reaction score
River will have cleared now,so should be harder...

silvers

Reaction score
It was harder! Basically the weights got better the further downstream you went. Guess who drew end peg, one above the Barley field? The swim was 6feet deep and I saw pretty much every fish flash when hooked! I was sitting up high but it was very clear. 16 pounds 9 of mainly small chub. I had one about 2.5, but all the rest were less than a pound. It’s been a long, long time since I’ve had a net like that on the Gt. Ouse, I can tell you! Hopefully the start of a chub revival on the river? Didn’t see any otters.

Arffer Roach

Reaction score
Silvers, is that just upstream of manor island? a long time since I fished matches at kempston

silvers

Reaction score
No ... just below.

From the mill downstream is basically
The shallows
Manor island
School bend
The pipe and pegs on the straight below that (I was on the last of those)
barley field

All of it is stuffed with smaller roach and dace in summer and autumn.

Arffer Roach

Reaction score
thanks for that I may give it a go later in the season, looking for a big chub. I still live in kempston but travel a fair bit for my fishing these days.

silvers

Reaction score
For proper lumps over 6 i’d Head for Radwell & Sharnbrook on the same Vauxhall card.
From the little I know the bigger chub at Kempston are on the top main section above the weir.
But that’s fishing match tactics rather than more selective baits.

Phil Adams

Reaction score
thanks for that I may give it a go later in the season, looking for a big chub. I still live in kempston but travel a fair bit for my fishing these days.

For proper lumps over 6 i’d Head for Radwell & Sharnbrook on the same Vauxhall card.
From the little I know the bigger chub at Kempston are on the top main section above the weir.
But that’s fishing match tactics rather than more selective baits.

I fish this section myself. Big lumps of cheese paste will sort the larger fish out, especially fished tight to the far bank and any undercuts. I witnessed a lovely six pounder from near the bridge by carpark and had an upper five recently from slightly further up.