Winter perch in the Lake District?

micky b

Reaction score
Hi
I was wondering if anyone can recommend anywhere worth having a go for perch in the winter in the Lakes District? I tried Coniston a few times but was unsuccessful. After a bit of googling, everything I read said lakes such as Coniston, Ulswater and Bassenthwaite shut down in the winter with the perch disappearing into the deeper water.

Is there anywhere that is still worth a crack in the colder months or am I wasting my time?

Cheers
Mick

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I remember fishing up the lakes a lot as a kid and winter wasn't a good time for perch.

nottskev

Reaction score
I'd go for Esthwaite Water just south of Hawkshead. It's a large lake - but small by comparison with those you mentioned. It's run as a fishery, with a tackle shop, cafe, boat hire, guiding if required etc etc and the owner Jim is a mine of information and help. There are two accessible stretches where you can bank fish into deep water. Don't be put off by the name Esthwaite Water Trout Fishery - that's historic, and it holds huge stocks of coarse fish and predators. It's a beautiful place to fish. Contact details and up to date pics of some huge pike are on their facebook page.