Would you use vitalin in winter

Mrnab

Reaction score
I'm off fishing tomorrow to a lake around 3 acres in size, and it has bream up to about 8lb in size. Do you think it would be a good idea to use vitalin this time of year as groundbait?

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
No reason why not, but it might be better to put it through a grinder first, to reduce the size of the individual particles. I do this as a matter of course all year round, but add ground halibut pellets during the warmer months. Good luck!

Mrnab

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, i did think about grinding it down. Think im going to use a completely different mix instead now though.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I prefer not to use product like Vitain as it is 100% all FEED content, especially in the winter when you can "feed off" even a relatively large bream shoal.

I would opt for a commercial continental mix; Sensas Bream plus a glug of Atomix Beeam for example . . . . a lot less feed content, more attractors and flavours . . . .

peterjg

Reaction score
Ground up vitalin will be fine if used with layers mash and/or standard ground bait. Ground vitalin on its own can turn to concrete! For bream use with molasses (horse feed), bream love molasses - I never use it now!

rayner

Reaction score
I've had Vitalin recommended to me on several occasions, I've always had good results using branded ground baits so never used it.
Peter Jacobs has hit the nail on it's head, far too much feed content for cooler months.
I know it's mild for the time of year and fish are accepting a bit more feed than normal Dec/Jan weather. Careful feeding keeps fish coming if fed with low food content ground bait. Vitalin would soon feed fish off in my opinion.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
The only way I use Vitalin, winter or summer, is on a method feeder. I'm not balling it in, so over-feeding isn't really an issue. I should have asked the OP how he intended to use it (but he isn't now, anyway!)...

Vitalin does work out considerably cheaper than branded groundbaits of course, although that isn't always the main consideration.

Mrnab

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone, guess i'll avoid it to till spring/summer now. In the end i used some dynamite black groundbait with a few freebies.